Hamstring problems

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. What if you can only raise it like ... 20-30 degrees that way? Lol.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html

2. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    What if you can only raise it like ... 20-30 degrees that way? Lol.
    Im the same way. My rom in that area is terrible.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    What if you can only raise it like ... 20-30 degrees that way? Lol.
    90 is usually the acceptable mark... So... Look up PNF Stretching...

4. Ok. I've been doing some light reading since you commented on the matter, Blaqz. What none of this reading has specified is how often to do the PNF stretches or how to vary them (they list different variations, but how do I know which to use/when)?

It appears I would keep these a couple days apart, and I would do them either after a workout or after cardio. I wont need a partner for this I dont think because I have one of those therapeutic rope things that have notches in them for you to place your foot in, and two handles to hold onto.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html

5. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    Ok. I've been doing some light reading since you commented on the matter, Blaqz. What none of this reading has specified is how often to do the PNF stretches or how to vary them (they list different variations, but how do I know which to use/when)?

It appears I would keep these a couple days apart, and I would do them either after a workout or after cardio. I wont need a partner for this I dont think because I have one of those therapeutic rope things that have notches in them for you to place your foot in, and two handles to hold onto.
    Hard to explain, but this is how I do the hamstrings:

-Flat on your back with one leg pretty much straight out...
    -Proceed to lift the opposite leg up(no knee bending) & stretch as far as you can...
    -When you reach your limit, stretch a little further(approximately 5)...
    -It should burn a little & maybe begin to shake...
    -While holding your leg firmly in this semi-uncomfortable position, push against the stretch but don't let it give, just hold that position...
    -Hold for 6-8secs then release...
    -Take no more than 10secs rest & repeat, but push past the last point(yes, Ouch)...
    -Repeat 6 times, going past the last point each time...
    -I went from 90 to 105 in a few sessions, but of coarse consistency will help maintain your new found flexibility...
    -I do it after any workout(especially leg workouts), so weights or cardio... I'd do it everyday if I could be bothered because 5mins after the slight torment of what is basically over stretching, your limbs feel light & just overall great...
    -It's better with a partner in my opinion simply because they won't let you give in to the pain/burn, but in saying that I'm sure you'll pull through it with the ropes...

I hope that explains it...

6. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia
    Ok. I've been doing some light reading since you commented on the matter, Blaqz. What none of this reading has specified is how often to do the PNF stretches or how to vary them (they list different variations, but how do I know which to use/when)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GWl...e_gdata_player

7. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED
    Those types of stretches are not a test of hamstring flexibility, since its a measure of spinal flexion, IS joint rotation, and then some at the hip. What you might actually be feeling is some stretch in the sciatic nerve when doing those tests.

If you want to assess true passive hamstring flexibility a supine lying single leg raise with a straight knee is an easy way. Lie on your back, and while keeping your back flat and your right knee slightly bent, flex at the left hip keeping the left knee extended. See how far you, go repeat on the other side. Then, you can do this every month to assess if your ROM is increasing or decreasing. Much more appropriate and specific to sprinting and other real life/sport activities.

Br
    As an added side note to ensure a true measure, along side the criteria stated by Zir, when you are doing this you do not want to externally rotate the stationary leg. It will allow for a compensatory increased ROM and skew your results.

8. Thanks for all the solid info here

9. are you training with weights every week?

do a split like
    mon chest and tris
    tues back, traps- do deadlifts here

thures shoulders
    fri legs , and start off with training hammies and put more emphasis on them

exercises there are so many sldl, incline glute ham riases, leg curls of all kinds, heel press on leg press machine
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

Similar Forum Threads

1. hamstring and hip opening..
    By JudoJosh in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 01:43 AM
  2. Hamstring injury.
    By pavb10 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
  3. strained hamstring
    By Necroticism in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 08:15 PM
  4. Hamstring avulsion???
    By pavb10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 11:01 PM
  5. Tore my Hamstring two days ago. Please help!
    By Irish Cannon in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 04:18 PM