1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Deload - wow I underestimated this

just wanted to share that if any of you are not deloading - try it.

I did it by 'accident' sorta. I pulled something in my lower back on a Monday (Squat) so for the rest of that week I took it easy, like real easy, the following Monday it still hurt so I for the rest of that week I took it easy... I hit the gym but low weight, half as many exercises, etc...

So yesterday I still felt it in my lower back but only barely so I decided to try and squat, figured I would go light and see how it felt. Felt fine, so upped the weight, felt fine, upped the weight, felt fine... did 5 reps of a weight that I could only do 2 reps of 2 weeks ago. All my working sets increased so far this week and expect them to across the board. Sure I add a little weight each week but this week was able to add more than usual.

I think every 8 weeks I am going to take 1 off.
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Very nice, I need to do this soon I'm starting to feel burnt out.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.97%

i just did this... about 2 weeks ago... and when i returned to the gym initially, i was weak as **** for about 5 days... then this past week my strength has shot up and i set a new squat pr of 435
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgaining View Post
    I've also done fasting and doseing and felt grealt anabolicness , deffint hunger but I'm stronger than that keep full and vascular and strength gose up
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/177245-swollen87s-training-log.html
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.25%

Quote Originally Posted by swollen87 View Post
    my strength has shot up and i set a new squat pr of 435
    Nice!

I try to work in a deload week every 12~16 weeks. It's tough to stay out of the gym, but I'm always happy with my progress after a week off.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by swollen87 View Post
    i just did this... about 2 weeks ago... and when i returned to the gym initially, i was weak as **** for about 5 days... then this past week my strength has shot up and i set a new squat pr of 435
    Sweet! Gotta feel good.
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by pablogdog View Post
    Nice!

I try to work in a deload week every 12~16 weeks. It's tough to stay out of the gym, but I'm always happy with my progress after a week off.
    That's a hell of a long time to go between deloads. I go 5-6 weeks at the absolute most.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.25%

Really? How long do you deload and do you do any training at all while you're on it?
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That's a hell of a long time to go between deloads. I go 5-6 weeks at the absolute most.
    You don't need to deload that frequently if you're not on a very strength-oriented program.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

The problem is that you're thinking deload=time off from the gym and it's not. Deloading is when you only do 50-60% of your 1RM for sets of 3-5 on the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press). I haven't had a week off from the gym in months and, barring injury, won't be missing any time soon.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.25%

I've read different definitions of a deload including yours, and all for different reasons. I like the way I'm doing it now, but I'll probably give this a try and see how it fits. Thanks for the info.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The problem is that you're thinking deload=time off from the gym and it's not. Deloading is when you only do 50-60% of your 1RM for sets of 3-5 on the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press). I haven't had a week off from the gym in months and, barring injury, won't be missing any time soon.
    I was still in the Gym, not time off. I guess I just feel like its time off when I deload.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You know i literally had the exact same thing happen to me today, i had a slight muscle strain in my lower back from doing either Stiff leg deadlifts or having to lift a fridge but the pain set in last weekend i think saturday by wednesday it was gone.

Now the lifting aspect, i had done Stiff legged deadlifts 2 weeks ago then a kinda wimpy leg day with leg press and other machines a week and a half ago on thursday. I continued to run for the past 3 weeks but hadn't squated in 2 weeks and today i went in thinking i was gonne be down in weight and i banged out 5 more reps on all my weights since the last time. Hit 245x14 for first time since winter (not much weight but for me its good to be back) i stopped there not wanting to go to heavy and possibly cause some pain.

I think a week off here and there is good i still ran 3-4 times a week just didn't do legs and it was the strongest my legs have felt in a while.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot903 View Post
    You know i literally had the exact same thing happen to me today, i had a slight muscle strain in my lower back from doing either Stiff leg deadlifts or having to lift a fridge but the pain set in last weekend i think saturday by wednesday it was gone.

Now the lifting aspect, i had done Stiff legged deadlifts 2 weeks ago then a kinda wimpy leg day with leg press and other machines a week and a half ago on thursday. I continued to run for the past 3 weeks but hadn't squated in 2 weeks and today i went in thinking i was gonne be down in weight and i banged out 5 more reps on all my weights since the last time. Hit 245x14 for first time since winter (not much weight but for me its good to be back) i stopped there not wanting to go to heavy and possibly cause some pain.

I think a week off here and there is good i still ran 3-4 times a week just didn't do legs and it was the strongest my legs have felt in a while.
    Nice!
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.5%

There are numerous ways to deload while not leaving the gym. I typically just pick a week or two and go high rep low resistance for all exercises
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.71%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    There are numerous ways to deload while not leaving the gym. I typically just pick a week or two and go high rep low resistance for all exercises

Thats kinda what I did... I did half as many exercises and just low weights and more reps... and it paid off nicely.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%

Although it's technically a deload, I think everyone would benefit from a technique day where they use the same weight as a deload, but focus 100% on technically perfect reps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%

I ALWAYS look to be in my best shape after a good break. It's almost like my phsyique has time to settle (mature?), as physiologically incorrect as that may be haha

Similar Forum Threads

1. Any need to deload or rest while on cycle?
    By waynaferd in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
  3. deload / recovery week
    By stullsy in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 02:02 AM
  4. Iraqi Death Toll Hugely Underestimated
    By Mulletsoldier in forum Politics
    Replies: 31