Sudden Insane Muscle Atrophy

  1. Registered User
    jgrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    41

    Sudden Insane Muscle Atrophy


    Well within one day my complete physique has changed. I woke up one morning with pains in my back after falling asleep in a weird position as I was watching TV. Worked out that day and an hour later I had intense pain in my back and then the next day my arm went numb. Worked out lightly to test my muscles and noticed that my right chest (pec) and tricep has lost over 70% mass and strength in two days -- actually maybe worse than 70%. Used to be able to do 12 dips with 100lb dumbell in between my legs. Then I noticed what looked like under my right pec my ribs shifted. Still trying to figure out how to fix this. ...depressing that I lost control of my health and physique. Any help is appreciated!

    Doctors said I had a herniated disk in the C6-C7 area and said they were 99.9% sure but did not recommend an MRI since it would only rule out a tumor or it would be necessary only if I was getting surgery -- too young for that. Anyway, its been 4 months and my chest or triceps have not changed. I was stronger in the 5th grade, seriously. My left side is rock solid.

    Anyone heard of this or have any ideas as to who I should see? I think I need a specialized physical therapist but cannot find anyone who has any experience "reawaking" muscles or "shifting" my ribcage back. ...actually still clueless why it looks like under my right pec that my ribcage is sticking out further than my left "solid" side. ...all in one bad nights sleep!

  2. Registered User
    heistroller's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    82

    I had a similar experience a few years ago. One day as I was warming up, my left arm failed to fire while warming up doing benches. What I could normally do 10 reps I could barely do one. The same thing was true when doing overhead db presses. I told my wife that I couldn't flex it & I thought it looked smaller. Sure enough I'd lost an inch.

    My wife is an ob/gyn & she recommended that I see an Internist. The Internist noticed I had a "Winging Scapula". From what I can remember that has something to do w/a nerve not being free or working properly in the brachial plexus. The way the nerves innervate (sp?) is really strange if you ever see a nerve chart. Anyway, the Internist sent me to see an Orthopaedic surgeon (shoulder guy). Shoulder guy said it was in my neck & sent me to the neck specialist. Neck specialist had MRIs taken of my neck & brain. Spinal column showed a lesion which Radiologist said was typical of MS. Neck guy sends me to Neurologist. In the mean time, I'm not doing any weight lifting...only yoga, stretching & some p90x core type of stuff.

    Anyway, neurologist puts me through an EMG, Evoked Response test, & a spinal tap. Oh, that 7 day headache was a major pain in the ass. In the end, the neurologist told me that all of my tests came back negative for MS, cancer or anything that could be detected. This all lasted for 3 months, my strength returned & the neurologist tells me to forget that the episode even happened.

    I asked the neurologist if maybe I had a pinched nerve & it just worked its way out. He said that nerves are either dead or alive & they do not come back after dying. He used car crash victims as an example. I'm not buying that it is that black & white. I think I had some sort of stenosis/inflammation going on that was somehow constricting & not killing the nerve.

    I did resume weight lifting but continued to incorporate yoga & stretching & didn't have any more issues. When I fail to occasionally work in stretching or yoga, I start getting pains in my shoulder blades & it is kind of painful when I look to the ceiling.

    One other interesting thing is that when I was 17, now 39, I dove into an above ground swimming pool, landed on the bridge of my nose & had that flash of lightning when my neck cracked...was lucky to walk away uninjured. Anyway, I later learned from another orthopaedic guy that traumatic events can cause lesions on the spinal cord.

    I would say either you could start w/a quality Internist & he can do some basic tests to determine who you should go see next, but I think you shouldn't play around & should definitely go see someone. Best of luck, I know how scary this can be.
  3. Registered User
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    US - PA
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39385

    this is terrifying? I'm so sorry this happened to you guys!

    That's great you regained your strength heistroller; did you regain your mass as well?

    Jgrigo, could you periodically keep me updated with your situation (e.g. your progress, what you're learning, potential explanations, etc)? It's both fascinating and frightening ala spontaneous combustion -- very sorry this happened to you!
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    10,153
    Rep Power
    10502186

    Without sounding like I am giving any medical advice it might be a good idea to go to someone who has an advanced knowledge of the spine and nervous system.

    In the same way you can get stronger by using decompression exercises to gently open the intervertebral spaces it would make sense that any serious impingement of the brachial plexus could cause extreme weakness in at least one arm.

    Edit: You have lost 70% mass in your arm i.e., circumference, not just strength?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  5. Registered User
    heistroller's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    82

    Red Dog, I was fortunate enough to regain my muscle mass...in my arm anyway. I once tore an ACL & was in an immobilizer for 8 weeks after the replacement. I've never regained the 2 inches I lost, so I'm familiar w/some things not coming back. I also mention this because my grandfather died of some unexplained muscular dystrophy in the 1940's in his late 40's. Ironically, I had genetic counseling done & I'm a carrier for SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy). Even though I'm supposedly only a carrier, any sort of muscle weakness or ligament injury does freak me out a bit.
  6. Registered User
    jgrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    41

    Sorry it was 70% strength and about in right pec about 50% mass. I will keep you guys posted, never had anything even close like this happen to me before. Its been 4 months now and although people think I am still in great shape, in my mind I have lost control of my body. ...sounds gay, but I have always been in control, i.e work harder, and see benefits -- with this, I am lost and working harder, better diet is not doing the trick. ...but I understand I need to figure this out. It really seems like my skeletal structure shifted. When I show people what it looks like right under my right pec, they freak out and think my rib cage has shifted. This falls in line with why my right side also feels tight -- I cannot stretch it that far b4 feeling the tension from the stretch. ...not sure if that makes sense as my brain feels like a fried egg right now. I think I am going to go to a Chiropractor who is also an exercise physiologist and specializes in sports injuries. ...just freaked out about letting anyone manipulate my body.
  7. Registered User
    WOWgold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    45

    I often feel bad in the morning after I wake up.
    Is it just a problem of my habbits of sleep or it's a warning of my health?
  8. Registered User
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    US - PA
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39385

    Quote Originally Posted by WOWgold View Post
    I often feel bad in the morning after I wake up.
    Is it just a problem of my habbits of sleep or it's a warning of my health?
    Yeah I don't think you have anything related to this thread, but allergies -- especially during the spring-summer transition -- can really make people feel like crap in the hours after waking. In that case, "feeling bad" would be negative symptoms primarily associated with the head, sinuses, neck, and throat.

    But yeah, not anywhere near what the OP is discussing!
  9. Registered User
    Movin_weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    chi-town
    Posts
    802
    Rep Power
    1886

    Quote Originally Posted by jgrigo View Post
    Well within one day my complete physique has changed. I woke up one morning with pains in my back after falling asleep in a weird position as I was watching TV. Worked out that day and an hour later I had intense pain in my back and then the next day my arm went numb. Worked out lightly to test my muscles and noticed that my right chest (pec) and tricep has lost over 70% mass and strength in two days -- actually maybe worse than 70%. Used to be able to do 12 dips with 100lb dumbell in between my legs. Then I noticed what looked like under my right pec my ribs shifted. Still trying to figure out how to fix this. ...depressing that I lost control of my health and physique. Any help is appreciated!

    Doctors said I had a herniated disk in the C6-C7 area and said they were 99.9% sure but did not recommend an MRI since it would only rule out a tumor or it would be necessary only if I was getting surgery -- too young for that. Anyway, its been 4 months and my chest or triceps have not changed. I was stronger in the 5th grade, seriously. My left side is rock solid.

    Anyone heard of this or have any ideas as to who I should see? I think I need a specialized physical therapist but cannot find anyone who has any experience "reawaking" muscles or "shifting" my ribcage back. ...actually still clueless why it looks like under my right pec that my ribcage is sticking out further than my left "solid" side. ...all in one bad nights sleep!

    Sounds like damage to the brachial plexus... I had the same exact thing, although it was from severe compression of the collar bone and trapezious muscle, not a herniated disc.

    Within 24 hours of the trauma, My right arm was not strong enough to lift a glass of water to my mouth. It slowly improved over time, but took roughly 3 months for me to be able to get back in the gym consistently... and another 3 months to build my strength back up

    The atrophy is insane too... my right arm and chest shrank rapidly over the first month or so, but caught back up quickly once strength improved.

    If there is still an issue of the disc compressing the nerve plexus, then you have to fix that problem before your going to see improvements. I would suggest talking to a chiropractor initially, as they may be able to make a few adjustments and see if tension is relieved on the nerve.

    Once that is resolved, it's going to take several months to get back to where you were before the injury.

    The best advice I can give is to make sure you are training the muscles to their potential, but don't get impatient and over do it or you will may reinjure, or cause new complications. Nerve damage is an extremely slow healing process, but consistent use will increase recovery time.

    *Edit

    The ribcage thing is interesting... Is your back strength effected? If you damaged nerves that cause weakness in the supporting muscles around your scapula, then this could explain why your ribcage appears to be protruding.
  10. Registered User
    jgrigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by Movin_weight View Post
    Sounds like damage to the brachial plexus... I had the same exact thing, although it was from severe compression of the collar bone and trapezious muscle, not a herniated disc.

    Within 24 hours of the trauma, My right arm was not strong enough to lift a glass of water to my mouth. It slowly improved over time, but took roughly 3 months for me to be able to get back in the gym consistently... and another 3 months to build my strength back up

    The atrophy is insane too... my right arm and chest shrank rapidly over the first month or so, but caught back up quickly once strength improved.

    If there is still an issue of the disc compressing the nerve plexus, then you have to fix that problem before your going to see improvements. I would suggest talking to a chiropractor initially, as they may be able to make a few adjustments and see if tension is relieved on the nerve.

    Once that is resolved, it's going to take several months to get back to where you were before the injury.

    The best advice I can give is to make sure you are training the muscles to their potential, but don't get impatient and over do it or you will may reinjure, or cause new complications. Nerve damage is an extremely slow healing process, but consistent use will increase recovery time.

    *Edit

    The ribcage thing is interesting... Is your back strength effected? If you damaged nerves that cause weakness in the supporting muscles around your scapula, then this could explain why your ribcage appears to be protruding.
    Went to a chiro today. He seems knowledgeable but does not have any direct experience with my issue. He could visually see a decent amount of atrophy in my right side lat. ....depressed me even more. Granted my lats seem about only a 20% difference...maybe 30%.

    Anyway I hope I can follow in your foot steps. I still work out like crazy, just not as much weight and now form is most important to me. I started pilates which is actually having amazing results for me and I am using it to realign my wieght training program more for longevity. ...after all, it only takes one minor mistake to change your life.
  11. Registered User
    DowntownReno's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    16

    I think it is crazy that this happened to other people too. I woke up one day with severe pain in my lower right scapula and had numbess in my right arm and some fingers. After MRI's, Ortho doc's and chiropracters, nothing worked. Then I went and got a massage and it fixed the pain and the numbness within a few days of having it done, having the message therapist concentrate on the insides of my armpit and upper back/scapula areas. Now I still have the muscle atrophy in my right tricept and right inner/collar bone pec area. I am 5' 10" as well and weighed about 220 at the time it happened. No injury happened to have caused it. Anyone else using that cheap ass Body Fortress Whey Isolate, who knows what could have caused it but the dent in my chest and loss of strength is killing me.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Sudden loss of all vascularity??
    By NYhomeboy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
  2. Sudden rash on my arm
    By bigred869 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2006, 07:10 PM
  3. Why do I feel hot all of a sudden?
    By NeilB in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 10:22 PM
  4. New Creatines all of a sudden?
    By ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in