Deadlifting injury - AnabolicMinds.com

Deadlifting injury

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.

Deadlifting injury

I broke form while deadlifting two weeks ago. When coming out of the pull I rounded my lower back and about midway through the lift I felt a dull twang. The next dumbest thing I did after breaking form was completing the lift, mostly with my back. Stupid I know. But anyway upon setting the bar down and standing back up I felt pain in my lower back. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't finish my workout, and I have been working out since but using only light weight for deadlifts. I still have extreme tightness and soreness in my left side. I can feel the pull on my calf when I tilt my head to the right. The main muscles affected are my left glut (mostly in the gluteus medius), the lower back, and the iliotibial band. Can anyone give me advice or suggestions to what I may have done? Pulled muscles, pinched nerves ect?

Also, I have been stretching and foam rolling but anything else that might speed recovery would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any and all help!

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.

Sounds like you strained a muscle or muscles. Most likely quadratus lumborum or one of the erector spinae muscles. Fascia connects muscles to eachother which may be why you tilt your head and feel it in the calf- or more likely the insertion of the hamstrings which may have also been traumatized.

How to expedite healing? Stay out of the gym and take it easy for awhile. If you are still working out, its probably not that serious and will most likely heal on its own. Ice it after workouts.

As long as you dont have "shooting" "radiating" pain from your low back down your ass and leg, its not nerve related. If you do, it could possibly be a disc herniation, which consequently, compresses the spinal nerve root.

Just let it rest a few days and ice it after activity.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

There's some good articles on tnation about backs and rehabbing them.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.

Thanks guys, bezoe, your spot on with the affected muscles. Glad to hear it doesn't sound like nerve damage or herniated disk. I have taken about 2 weeks off, just been doing some gentle stretching and today I went to the gym and did a few real light sets of lunges and some upper body work, then stretched out well. It already feels better. Thanks again for the advice, I'll continue to take er easy!
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

. I can feel the pull on my calf when I tilt my head to the right.
    This would lend me to think that there was some nerve damage. Probably some nerve impingement due to the inflammation/tight spinal erector muscles around the pelvis. Heating, massaging, and icing (in that order) should help.

Br
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    This would lend me to think that there was some nerve damage. Probably some nerve impingement due to the inflammation/tight spinal erector muscles around the pelvis. Heating, massaging, and icing (in that order) should help.

Br
    Interesting, thanks for the advice.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Me deadlifting
    By Tomi18 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
  2. proper deadlifting
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
  3. deadlifting with gloves?