A Revolution in the Understanding of Pain and Treatment of Pain - AnabolicMinds.com

A Revolution in the Understanding of Pain and Treatment of Pain

1. New Member

This is will change the way you look at your pain forever.

2. New Member

Did anyone get a chance to read this?
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Not yet... I just handed in my thesis monday and have a few papers to finish up. I'm hoping to get a chance to do some lighter/pleasure reading this weekend. Its printed and in my stack of non-course work papers to read. Though I have scanned through, and this paragraph caught my eye:

Top-Down Approach: He now clearly understands that the structural-pathology model, which relies solely on the ‘bottom-up’ approach is incomplete. Just by understanding the physiology of pain or the ‘top-down’ approach, his threat level has lowered in the brain. His nervous system is much less sensitive to pain and the brain finds no reason to induce pain because there is no threat and no action required. He feels much less pain now.

Looking forward to it...

Br
    •   

4. New Member

It is indeed a revolution in pain science. Check the recommend resources too. There are a few videos and podcasts which talks about the same.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.

I guess I don't understand how this is a revolution...but maybe my simple mind did not understand it. I guess I have always gone under the assumption that pain is mental...meaning it originates in the brain, and that your body is MUCH more capable than your brain will allow it to be. Your brain is the governing body that protects the rest of the "package" to keep everything safe. It shuts down your muscles before they can be pushed too far...it makes you slow down your run before your heart explodes...etc. Very few can train themselves to push through these mental barriers. When something hurts, you have to learn to tell the difference between real pain (something is WRONG) and your body just being overly protective. Having gone through two knee reconstructions, and a torn biceps...these are the things I have learned.

Pain is just a strain on the brain without refrain...and that is why I am insane!!!!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

This is an interesting article. I do not personally suffer from any type of chronic pain, however, I have two parents who both do suffer from differing forms. My father with his knee and back, and my mother with overall systemic weakness and fragility - pain is easily induced from things which I would hardly even feel. This will give me something to ponder. I find myself having a hard time believing that a simple introduction to this concept of pain would have a significant impact upon an individual who suffers from serious chronic pain. Alas though, I would love to be wrong!
  7. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post
    I guess I don't understand how this is a revolution...but maybe my simple mind did not understand it. I guess I have always gone under the assumption that pain is mental...meaning it originates in the brain, and that your body is MUCH more capable than your brain will allow it to be. Your brain is the governing body that protects the rest of the "package" to keep everything safe. It shuts down your muscles before they can be pushed too far...it makes you slow down your run before your heart explodes...etc. Very few can train themselves to push through these mental barriers. When something hurts, you have to learn to tell the difference between real pain (something is WRONG) and your body just being overly protective. Having gone through two knee reconstructions, and a torn biceps...these are the things I have learned.

Pain is just a strain on the brain without refrain...and that is why I am insane!!!!
    I am not sure I understand your post. But I can say every pain is 'real'.

And these concepts are only slowly emerging. You will still see 95% of the physical therapists blaming it on joints, muscles, posture, movements, and such to treat pain while completely ignoring the 'top down' approach.
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapentia View Post
    This is an interesting article. I do not personally suffer from any type of chronic pain, however, I have two parents who both do suffer from differing forms. My father with his knee and back, and my mother with overall systemic weakness and fragility - pain is easily induced from things which I would hardly even feel. This will give me something to ponder. I find myself having a hard time believing that a simple introduction to this concept of pain would have a significant impact upon an individual who suffers from serious chronic pain. Alas though, I would love to be wrong!
    I agree. The article goes against everything they believe about pain and what their doctors told them. The article hopefully will spur some curiosity and make them read more about these topics given in the recommended reading list. It is not an easy topic.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 10:20 PM
  2. Kidney Pain or Lower Back Pain?
    By MF210 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 05:24 AM
  3. pain
    By motleybreu in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 11:11 AM