More Training Split Options

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Many trainees want to hit bodyparts more frequently than once a week, but every time they go to twice a week training they fail to make any meaningful progress. What to do? Well the options go up some if you don't mind the training days falling on different days of the week, which means some days you might have to be in the gym on a Saturday or Sunday. And even if you must have the days be consistent for planning purposes and to make it fit your job/family obligations there are still ways to do it.

A simple way to accomplish this is to split your body in half, and train every other day, with two days off after day three. This looks like:

Monday
Chest/shoulders/triceps/Abs

Wednesday
Back/biceps/legs

Friday

Monday
Back/biceps/legs

Wednesday

Friday
Back/biceps/legs

This allows you to hit everything once every five days, fits within the calendar week, and allows plenty of recovery time. The biggest downside is it is tough to hit back/bi's/legs if you like to do volume work.

This format works extremely well and is a favorite of mine for those that fit the criteria stated above.

Iron Addict

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
This allows you to hit everything once every five days, fits within the calendar week, and allows plenty of recovery time. The biggest downside is it is tough to hit back/bi's/legs if you like to do volume work.

This format works extremely well and is a favorite of mine for those that fit the criteria stated above.

Iron Addict[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what works for me and my lifestyle, I don't miss the volume. I do better like this using a modified HIT approach.

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
my days arent based on actual calendar weekdays, but more along the lines of...chest/triceps, squats/back, shoulders/biceps, hamstrings/calfs...I take days off as I need them, and I go Sat and Sunday as well...I really like this approach. I definately feel well rested when I start over again...

Clipse

Awards
Gonna bump this old thread up, but how many exercises would be good for this split per body part, and how much rest time between sets / exercises?

silverknight

Awards
what would be the best split / excerses to build overall strength