huge chest problems

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.33%

huge chest problems

hey everyone this is my first post and im looking for some advice i have a big problem when training my chest. I am right hand dominant to start but whenever i am doing chest exercises i am only feeling it in my LEFT pec muscle i can really feel the contraction as with my right, nothing.... my right pec is alot smaller than my left and my right delt is huge compared to my left delt so to me it seems like my right delt is doing ALL the work on the right side since it gets very sored and pumped after each exercise but i dont know what im doing wrong, can anyone help?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.73%

Try less weight and pausing at the top and bottom of each rep. Make sure you get that extra squeeze at the top too. If that doesn't do it, I wouldn't sweat it too much. These things tend to even themselves out as you progress.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.33%

ya ill try doing that, but is there a certain grip or elbow placement that will take my delts out of the equation?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.73%

Elbows in close to the body will help some. If you can do bench with an underhand grip (you'll have to use less weight), that could help too.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.67%

Try dumbbell press, its good isolation for each pec and you really have to focus in order to keep a constant range of motion and it could help build up that lagging arm a bit.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Sounds like you're doing some serious helicoptering and/or not bringing the bar down evenly. Tighten up your core, situate yourself so you're not squirming around during the set, and control the weight on the way down like you do on the way up. So slow and controlled (doesn't need to be too slow). Make sure to keep the bar level and bring it down equally with both hands at the same time. Ask someone to just watch you while you lift and to tell you when you're bringing the bar down unevenly, when you're helicoptering, to make sure you're bringing in your elbows at the right point, etc.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.07%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Try declines, too, since they will work more chest and less shoulder.

And the DB's is a great idea, too, since you can limit the stronger side and let the weaker catch up.
    True story:

I give a f**K!!
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.68%

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Sounds like you're doing some serious helicoptering and/or not bringing the bar down evenly. Tighten up your core, situate yourself so you're not squirming around during the set, and control the weight on the way down like you do on the way up. So slow and controlled (doesn't need to be too slow). Make sure to keep the bar level and bring it down equally with both hands at the same time. Ask someone to just watch you while you lift and to tell you when you're bringing the bar down unevenly, when you're helicoptering, to make sure you're bringing in your elbows at the right point, etc.
    I second this. If need be go with lighter weight and only increase when your form is better.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

also, do more DB
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.03%

I had a problem similar to yours, pre-exhaust work wonders, or exercises such as push ups off bench leaning forward and elbows flared, and svend press worked for me
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.8%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I had/slightly still have the same problem.

Its anthropometrical genetically based problem for me. My sternum and chondral cartilage (ie: breast bone) is more robust on the left. This gives a larger attachment site for my left pec and therefore has allowed it to develop and grow quicker. On the flip side, my right delt was compensating for the right pec.

I tried everything to fix this: extra work on the right, dumbbells, varied grips, dumb-ass elbows flairing out junk, everything. Nothing has ever, nor will ever fix the problem. But, some things that have helped are:

1. Learning to use correct form when pressing: shoulder blades retracted throughout the movement, eblows creating a 45 degree angle with the torso (not flaired out at 90 degrees), back slightly arched, 5 points of contact: head, shoulder blades, hips, right and left foot.

2. Using dumbbells and stopping when form broke on the right (weak) side and my anterior delt started taking over

3. Focusing on movements that DO NOT use the anterior delts (ie: minimal fly work)

4. Strengthening my scapula retractors (rhomboids, middle trapezius, rear delts)

5. Increasing flexibility in my shoulders, especially loosening the pecs with DC shoulder dislocates

Br
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.39%

Your pecs should obviously pump together even if you are helicoptering the weight. If the weight is lowered crooked, your right pec still has to push the weight up and needs to contract to do this. Since you are talking about signs of the pec being smaller (possible atrophy) I would guess that you should see a neurologist to see if there is an issue with impingement. I am currently dealing with a similar issue and my right pec does not contract. I have a suspicious that this is not form related at all.
    I will sleep with you AND your pet for 50 bucks!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest & Lat problems!
    By RcMonahan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 01:47 AM
  2. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 10:31 PM
  4. Chest Problems
    By LIVEWIRE in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3