AC joint issues - AnabolicMinds.com

AC joint issues

  1. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    AC joint issues


    Im dealing with some sore AC joints. I feel like benching and certain other upper body movements irritate it on both shoulders. basically i read this:

    http://www.shoulderinstitute.co.za/p..._watermark.pdf

    and that feels exactly like what i got, just very slight pain. i only feel pain sometimes after an upper body workout or after sleeping on it wrong. anyone else dealing with this? if i flex my traps really hard it feels like they can pull the joint apart, its that sore.. the pain however is not bad at all, so im wondering if its really that serious
    BJJ = life

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Are your shoulder internally rotated?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Are your shoulder internally rotated?
    im sorry what does that mean?
    BJJ = life
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    i also feel a bump on both of my AC joints, ive felt other peoples shoulders and didnt notice anything raised
    BJJ = life
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    im sorry what does that mean?
    When you stand relaxed, do your palms face each other or are they pronated?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    When you stand relaxed, do your palms face each other or are they pronated?
    just checked, palms face each other. only time i feel pain is when I bring my arm up, as if i was trying to touch my ear.
    BJJ = life
  7. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    No internal rotation, but it sounds like bicep tendon impingement. Take a foam roller and roll the area with your arm bent at 90 degrees and with your arm behind you. This will help to loosen the pec minor and the anterior delt.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No internal rotation, but it sounds like bicep tendon impingement. Take a foam roller and roll the area with your arm bent at 90 degrees and with your arm behind you. This will help to loosen the pec minor and the anterior delt.
    you think its the bicep tendon even though the pain is coming directly from the AC joint? i will foam roll it as soon as possible though, thank you
    BJJ = life
  9. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    you think its the bicep tendon even though the pain is coming directly from the AC joint? i will foam roll it as soon as possible though, thank you
    The origin of the biceps tendon is under the anterior delt.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    so ive been looking online and i found distal clavicle osteolysis. i dont know if its that bad yet, but the pain is exactly at the AC joint and it even hurts when i press on it with my finger.
    BJJ = life
  11. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Try the aforementioned techniques before jumping to that route. I have a very similar thing because I broke and separated my clavicle twice when I was younger. With appropriate pre-hab and smart training, my shoulder has gotten much better.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    im going to the gym tonight to do that. just wondering how exactly im gonna foam roll the top of my shoulder with my arm behind my back..guess ill have to see
    BJJ = life
  13. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    im going to the gym tonight to do that. just wondering how exactly im gonna foam roll the top of my shoulder with my arm behind my back..guess ill have to see
    Put it at an angle perpendicular to the pecs and adjust from there.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1796

    Reputation

    I think i follow it, but a video of this would be awesome, as I think i have some AC joint issues in my right shoulder. Anytime i do pressing work, i do tons of warmups for my shoulders/rotators.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Put it at an angle perpendicular to the pecs and adjust from there.
  15. Senior Member
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    1225

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    I think i follow it, but a video of this would be awesome, as I think i have some AC joint issues in my right shoulder. Anytime i do pressing work, i do tons of warmups for my shoulders/rotators.
    Rodja's advice was regarding bicipital impingment, not necessarily ac joint issues. Put your arm behind your back like your being handcuffed. This exposes the biceps tendon.. then reach across your torso with your other hand and roll the foam over the from of your shoulder/upper arm.

    Quote Originally Posted by castro10 View Post
    I suggest to see a physical therapist .
    Bezoe likes this

    However, that all depends on the state he lives in and whether or not they provide direct access to PT.

    The issue, being bilateral, sounds like something secondary to improper mechanics when lifting. Use the foam roller and perform some stretches for the biceps and anterior delt. And try to emphasize strenghthening the posterior delts and triceps to "prehab" any further issues.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Give me a few days and I'll get a video up of it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. New Member
    Hustlers's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    216

    Reputation

    ... GREAT THREAD SO FAR
  18. Professional Member
    delsolrob's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,130
    Rep Power
    11890

    Reputation

    I have a lot of experience in this arena, Rodja is probably correct!

    I've suffered a grade 3 AC joint seperation in my right shoulder, and a grade 2 in my left...

    bicep tendonitis feels like a pain in your shoulder, this is because the short head of the bicep connects in your shoulder.


    since this is something you're experiencing symetrically, it's probably caused by over training, or poor form.

    my rec, up your fish oil intake to 10g spread throughout the day, plus Super Cissus Rx.

    along with a reconsideration of your form and training frequency...the bicep is the most commonly overtrained muscle.

    also, this is a video of something similar to what rodja was talking about for stretching, but bend your arm at 90 degrees and put it behind your back.

    YouTube - Self Myofascial Release for Shoulders, Pecs and Biceps.
  19. Advanced Member
    specmike's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    694
    Rep Power
    7220

    Reputation

    My personal experience on this; I had similar pain in the past, especially my left side. Old football injury talking to me. I took about 6-8 weeks where I lightened up on my overall benching weight. Also, my pain was MUCH worse when benching with a straight bar. So, I did dumbells only for 6-8 weeks and my pain went away. I could then go back to barbell bench pain free.
  20. Professional Member
    delsolrob's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,130
    Rep Power
    11890

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by specmike View Post
    My personal experience on this; I had similar pain in the past, especially my left side. Old football injury talking to me. I took about 6-8 weeks where I lightened up on my overall benching weight. Also, my pain was MUCH worse when benching with a straight bar. So, I did dumbells only for 6-8 weeks and my pain went away. I could then go back to barbell bench pain free.
    yeah, after my AC joint seperations I have never been able to bb press on bench...only db's for me!
  21. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by delsolrob View Post
    yeah, after my AC joint seperations I have never been able to bb press on bench...only db's for me!
    I've switched to BB Incline and haven't had nearly the same pain or issues stemming from pressing. Part of the problem with BB presses is that the AC/GH joints are usually no longer parallel and adjustments need to be made to technique.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    thanks everyone, im taking up to 20g of fish oil a day already so thats taken care of. i noticed its definitely the barbell benching thats applying all that pressure to the joint. sometimes weighed dips will do the same thing. ill focus on my technique and take it easy with benching for awhile.
    BJJ = life
  23. Advanced Member
    specmike's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    694
    Rep Power
    7220

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    thanks everyone, im taking up to 20g of fish oil a day already so thats taken care of. i noticed its definitely the barbell benching thats applying all that pressure to the joint. sometimes weighed dips will do the same thing. ill focus on my technique and take it easy with benching for awhile.
    I had an ortho surgeon tell me to pop one 200mg Advil/ibuprophen, 5 times spaced evenly thru the day for 7 days. During that same week, if it hurts, don't do it. Give your body and the NSAID anti inflammatory some time to do its job for a week and see what happens. He was a gym buddy and told me that would be his advice if I came into the office.
  24. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by specmike View Post
    I had an ortho surgeon tell me to pop one 200mg Advil/ibuprophen, 5 times spaced evenly thru the day for 7 days. During that same week, if it hurts, don't do it. Give your body and the NSAID anti inflammatory some time to do its job for a week and see what happens. He was a gym buddy and told me that would be his advice if I came into the office.
    thanks yeah i noticed that ibuprofen really helps to soothe the inflammation. im gonna apply all this advice starting this week.
    BJJ = life
  25. Senior Member
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    1225

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by specmike View Post
    I had an ortho surgeon tell me to pop one 200mg Advil/ibuprophen, 5 times spaced evenly thru the day for 7 days. During that same week, if it hurts, don't do it. Give your body and the NSAID anti inflammatory some time to do its job for a week and see what happens. He was a gym buddy and told me that would be his advice if I came into the office.
    Thats good to alleviate symptoms but you also wanna directly address the underlying issue
  26. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    this week im gonna do DB bench with palms facing each other. my friend runs a gym and they got a bar that has grips that allow you to do that, and he swears that it alleviates all shoulder pain.
    BJJ = life
  27. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I somehow forgot to mention some vital things:
    Pre-Hab with internal/external rotations (use a band or cables)
    Infraspinatus Raises
    ICE

    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-deal-w...infraspinatus/
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. New Member
    Silversupra81's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    50

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Are your shoulder internally rotated?
    exactly, internal rotation through overtraining bench often leads to muscle inbalances. Take a look at the next guy at your gym with a strong bench. My bet is his thumbs are almost pointing to his hips when he walks. Putting it simply, your front is strong-your back is weak.. Train what you suck at. Inverse rows to start with, to bring your shoulders back where they're suppose to be.
  29. New Member
    Tad50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    237

    Reputation

    These warm up exercises has done wonders for preventing shoulder problems as well as AC joint issues. Also, go to youtube and look up "scapula stabilization". That really helps with the AC joint.

    YouTube - DeFrancosGym.com - Joe DeFranco's Upper body warm-up routine
  30. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    ive also started doing YTLWI raises to strengthen my upper back and traps to take some pressure off my AC joints
    BJJ = life
  31. New Member
    biggfoot70's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    69

    Reputation

    I would advise seeing a Dr or physical therapist. I had the same problem back in 2006 and ended up having surgery and after almost 5 years im just really getting my strength back and will never have full range of motion again. If your susceptible to impingement then the more you work out the more damage you will do.
  32. Senior Member
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    1225

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by biggfoot70 View Post
    I would advise seeing a Dr or physical therapist. I had the same problem back in 2006 and ended up having surgery and after almost 5 years im just really getting my strength back and will never have full range of motion again. If your susceptible to impingement then the more you work out the more damage you will do.
    If his funds or insurance permit him too. Problem is, alot of people dont have good health coverage or any at all (been a national issue for awhile I know), and pain is something people live with and dont seek professional advice for until they cant brush their teeth anymore. But yes, it would be wise to get a professional opinion, maybe more than one, and preferably a PT over a GP.
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  33. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    you know guys, ive been doing YTLWI raises when i get a chance and staying away from Barbell bench and so far pain free. 90% of my workouts are BJJ/wrestling so theres not a whole lot of weight lifting to further aggravate the joint. so i guess strengthening the scapia (sp) does pull the shoulders back and relieves the tension.
    BJJ = life
  34. sizematters10
    Guest
    sizematters10's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    you know guys, ive been doing YTLWI raises when i get a chance and staying away from Barbell bench and so far pain free. 90% of my workouts are BJJ/wrestling so theres not a whole lot of weight lifting to further aggravate the joint. so i guess strengthening the scapia (sp) does pull the shoulders back and relieves the tension.

    is there a link to explain how to strengthen the scapia. and good to hear on the improvement! i also think im going to start with those warm up exercises a previous poster gave a link too.
  35. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3788

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by sizematters10 View Post
    is there a link to explain how to strengthen the scapia. and good to hear on the improvement! i also think im going to start with those warm up exercises a previous poster gave a link too.
    i havent looked for anything about it online, just what i was told. what i understand is that working your traps as well as rear delt exercises and YTLWI will help.
    BJJ = life
  36. Senior Member
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    1225

    Reputation

    The scapula is a bone that makes up part of the shoulder complex and can be stabalized by strengthening the muscles around it, the serratus anterior primarily:

    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  37. sizematters10
    Guest
    sizematters10's Avatar

    ok im getting the gist of it, but that exercise in sets of 8? really doesnt seem lke enough to develop that muscle area. but i could be wrong i will start throwing them in on my back day. know of any other good ones specifically for that?
  38. Senior Member
    bezoe's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    1225

    Reputation

    thats the primary action of that particular muscle. You could do the same motion standing with cables or bands.

    Upper back exercises for the rhomboids and traps will perhaps add to dynamic stabalization of that joint (the scapulothoracic joint).
    Suffer now.. and live like a champion later.
  39. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,003
    Rep Power
    917966

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. has any one had joint issues with these
    By BladeNP in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
  2. How much Var will offset joint issues from Winni?
    By synergyAM in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 11:28 PM
  3. New here & having some issues.
    By James Howlett in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2006, 06:42 AM
  4. Max LMG issues
    By brk1224 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2005, 06:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in