from 5x5 to DC

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

Ok so I have a new set of questions. 1. Am I supposed to do a slow negative on every set? Do I also do it on legs and back thickness? 2. For workouts where u do widowmakers like squats. Do I do a dropset and immediately start doing the widow maker after my heavy set? Do I do negatives or a static hold on either set? 3. For deadlift u do one strait set and then decrease weight and do a couple more reps. Is 315 for 7 then 225 for 6 a good example? Is this a drop set that should be done immediately? Should I do this negative and do a static hold? 4. Is the the two set procedure with deadlifts required for other back thickness workouts such as bent over rows?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    Ok so I have a new set of questions. 1. Am I supposed to do a slow negative on every set? Do I also do it on legs and back thickness? 2. For workouts where u do widowmakers like squats. Do I do a dropset and immediately start doing the widow maker after my heavy set? Do I do negatives or a static hold on either set? 3. For deadlift u do one strait set and then decrease weight and do a couple more reps. Is 315 for 7 then 225 for 6 a good example? Is this a drop set that should be done immediately? Should I do this negative and do a static hold? 4. Is the the two set procedure with deadlifts required for other back thickness workouts such as bent over rows?

1. by slow negative do you mean a static hold or slow negatives for each rep....which is yes the negative should be emphasized..

2. NO. Rest 3-5 minutes before your widowmaker

3. NO again. Rest.

4. I'm pretty sure deadlifts are unique. For other back thickness I sometimes do two seats anyway one in the 5-8 range and the next in the 8-12 range...but that's my personal preference for back
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

Do I do slow negatives and static holds on squats and deadlifts?
    And is there a specific order to what workouts I should do? Or do my favorite one week then my second favorite then my third favorite according to the specific format
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.72%
    Achievements Posting Pro

you don't. I believe, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, you basically do your squats and deadlifts as you normally would. Only difference is you have a set of 20 after your heavy set. Static holds and slow negatives on squats would be detrimental to you since your form is going to break down.
    Comic Sans makes me feel gangsta
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1s View Post
    you don't. I believe, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, you basically do your squats and deadlifts as you normally would. Only difference is you have a set of 20 after your heavy set. Static holds and slow negatives on squats would be detrimental to you since your form is going to break down.
    You're right.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

second time doing tricep extreme stretch and ion my right arm I felt it a lot more in the shoulder than in the tricep any tips?
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.95%

With my experience, incline Barbell bench is my favorite during a DC blast. Just my .02
    And for the tricep stretch, make sure you're pushing down towards the floor with your head and not back towards the wall. Maybe this will help...
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.6%
    Achievements Posting Pro

How exactly do you push the dumbell down with your head when in the seated db extension position? Are these performed one arm at a time? I use the 100s and i cant lower it enough to push down with my head. I must be doing these wrong.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

I use the 75s and can push down with my head but I feel an extreme pull on my shoulder
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.6%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Maybe I will have someone push it down for me because I couldnt lower it any more than that. The head of the db is even with the top of my head when fully relaxed
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

your elbow is behidn your head. i wasnt a fan of DC at all. cool concepts but ill never do it again.

the stretches are sick tho, especialy the bicep / quad ones. youll be pumped beyond beleif
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

I've noticed on the suggested DC workout they include drag curls instead of standing barbell curls. Can I sub? Or will the drag provide better growth/strength?
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

You can sub, but they do add mass.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

Add more mass?
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.95%

Quote Originally Posted by drinkyboy View Post
    How exactly do you push the dumbell down with your head when in the seated db extension position? Are these performed one arm at a time? I use the 100s and i cant lower it enough to push down with my head. I must be doing these wrong.
    I use the 75s and can push down with my head but I feel an extreme pull on my shoulder
    I have experimented doing this stretch "one armed". This made it easier to get my elbow behind my head and easier to push on the dumbell with my head.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.6%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I will try one armed. Thanks funkd0c.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

I have to do it one arm at a time because my shoulders seem to choke me out! LOL!
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

I wanted to know if I when I fail at holding for 60 seconds on a stretch if it would be wise to stretch for the time I missed or start over to hit 60. Or is it not recommended?
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

I wanted to know if I when I fail at holding for 60 seconds on a stretch if it would be wise to stretch for the time I missed or start over to hit 60. Or is it not recommended?
    Thats a good question. I haven't thought of that. I hope someone has an answer.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

I've been til now just kinda taking a breather for a second or two and jumping back into the stretch to hit about the last 10 seconds. It usually only happens with my quads and with my back width but backwidth only because sometimes my hands give out on me and can't hold the weight anymore
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

Also I was confused about the cruising phase wat should I do during that time? And should I still do my extreme stretching for both cruise weeks?
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.6%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I may be wrong but from what I understand you can do your normal non-DC training program or take the time off. I dont know as far as the stretching also. I probably shouldnt had posted this....im no help.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

During the cruise a lot of guys take a full week off. The second week, lift without rest pausing and not to failure. I like to tryout different exercises or you can do it like Drinkyboy. Just take it easy on your joints and nervous system.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

So no stretches? And then come back at 90% of what I stopped at right?
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.67%

I am confused about the DC routine i realize that Dante has it set up on intensemuscle as MWF but from what i got out of the Cycles for pennies on his training regiment he makes it a 4 day split...

I set up the program like this
    DAY ONE
    CHEST
    SHOULDERS
    TRICEPS
    BACK WIDTH
    BACK THICKNESS

DAY TWO
    BICEPS
    FOREARMS
    CALVES
    HAMSTRINGS
    QUADS

DAY THREE OFF

DAY FOUR-REPEAT CHEST DAY ONE AND SEQUENCE BUT WITH TOTAL DIFFERENT EXERCISES

DAY FIVE-REPEAT DAY TWO AND SEQUENCE WITH TOTAL DIFFERENT EXERCISES

DAY SIX OFF

DAY SEVEN-REPEAT DAY ONE AND SEQUENCE WITH TOTAL DIFFERENT EXERCISES THAN DAY ONE AND FOUR

DAY EIGHT --REPEAT DAY TWO AND SEQUENCE WITH TOTAL DIFFERENT EXERCISES THEN DAY TWO AND FIVE

Stay with me here--Your only doing one exercise per muscle group per day. Your doing your first favorite exercise for chest on day one--your doing your second favorite exercise for chest on day four and your third exercise for chest on day seven. Your doing the same exercises you would be doing anyway in a weeks time and training chest 3 times in that week(or nine days) with minimal sets so you can recover. You cannot do a 3-5 exercise chest workout and recover to train chest again 3 days later. Absolutely impossible!! You can come in and do 2-3 warmup sets up to your heaviest set and then do one working set (rest paused) all out balls to the wall on that exercise --recover and grow and be ready again 3 days later.

I am confused because if you use the MWF approach you would only work that muscle group 2 times in a week and he SPECIFICALLY states 3 times a week in the post above...

So basically it would look somthing like this:

Monday - A1
    Tuesday -B1
    WED- OFF
    Thursday A2
    Friday-B2
    Sat - OFF
    Sunday -A3
    Monday B3
    ETC....
    Currently have my split set up to those guidlines except i take the weekends off...
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

Smith402
    There's two ways to do DC Training. The first is for guys new to Dc which is m-w-f-weekends off. Cycles for Pennies is an older article and there's been some updates to the routine. The way your doing it looks correct to me. Here's a couple of links that should help you out so you can get the best out of your training. There's so much stuff on the net to make it confusing.
    http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=19724
    http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=37067
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

Is it ok for me to add ab work to this routine? I was planning on doing p90X ab ripper two days a week on off days
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

Is it ok for me to add ab work to this routine? I was planning on doing p90X ab ripper two days a week on off days
    HA-HA-HA---Thats exactly what I'm doing!
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

How are the results looking? Good progress on DC with this method? I could care less about abs I want size and strength and nothing that will hinder them or the effectiveness of my routine
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.01%

I'm not sure that its dc recommended- probably not, but my reason for doing it is that I pulled an oblique while wearing my weight belt and deadlifting, so I have a weak point that needs to be fixed.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.73%

Oh my reason is shredding my midsection. But I don't wanna hinder DC at all