from 5x5 to DC

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    The reason I have flat bench as a choice is because I really want to have an impressive flat bench. And I'm pretty sure that doing hammer strength won't transfer over to doing traditional bench press
    i disagree...i took flat bench out of my DC exercise rotation and when i DO attempt flat bench (every few months) i am always stronger.

2. quick question about DC, do you need to do warm up sets for every muscle group you hit that day? I read the article by DC and I'm not really sure since he just addresses what you're supposed to do when you're warm.

I really don't care for flat bench other than bull****ting 1rpm numbers.
    Comic Sans makes me feel gangsta
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by 2k1s View Post
    quick question about DC, do you need to do warm up sets for every muscle group you hit that day? I read the article by DC and I'm not really sure since he just addresses what you're supposed to do when you're warm.

I really don't care for flat bench other than bull****ting 1rpm numbers.
    from my experience, I use just enough warm ups to put Everything into my working rest pause set.

most of the time it includes a weight heavier than the working weight for 1-2 reps

4. Just did my first DC couldn't do the stretches for a full minute on some of them. Is that a problem?

5. Not quite sure but I had the same problem also. Im sure as time goes on, you will be able to. I THINK as long as you get a good stretch and hold it for a bit, you should be fine for the time being. I know my static holds were about 30 seconds and I shakeing like crazy! This is my first week also so im in the same boat.

6. I use warm up sets on each exercise, but don't fatigue the muscle. - The stretching gets easier, but always sore as hell. As far as flat barbell bench goes... its hard on the shoulders especially when your moving heavy weight. With Dc the strength comes fast so your chances of injury are a lot higher. I do dumbbell flat bench instead. There are times when I like to show off on the bench though.

7. I didn't do my static holds for 30 seconds either I did them for about 15 tops. And as far as the stretching goes. My muscle was extremely sore until after the stretch the stretches hurt like crazy but once I was done with them the soreness was gone

8. I didn't do my static holds for 30 seconds I did them for 15 tops was I supposed to go to 30? And about the stretches I was sore right after my lifts like crazy but as soon as I was done with the stretching it all went away. They hurt during the stretch like crazy but weren't sore after is this normal?

9. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    I didn't do my static holds for 30 seconds I did them for 15 tops was I supposed to go to 30? And about the stretches I was sore right after my lifts like crazy but as soon as I was done with the stretching it all went away. They hurt during the stretch like crazy but weren't sore after is this normal?
    the stretches are to be held 60-90 seconds...

I got more to like 45 seconds on most my first time...but 15 is not long enough.

10. I did do 45 on my stretches. I did not do 30 in my static holds tho
    •   

11. Ok so I have a new set of questions. 1. Am I supposed to do a slow negative on every set? Do I also do it on legs and back thickness? 2. For workouts where u do widowmakers like squats. Do I do a dropset and immediately start doing the widow maker after my heavy set? Do I do negatives or a static hold on either set? 3. For deadlift u do one strait set and then decrease weight and do a couple more reps. Is 315 for 7 then 225 for 6 a good example? Is this a drop set that should be done immediately? Should I do this negative and do a static hold? 4. Is the the two set procedure with deadlifts required for other back thickness workouts such as bent over rows?

12. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    Ok so I have a new set of questions. 1. Am I supposed to do a slow negative on every set? Do I also do it on legs and back thickness? 2. For workouts where u do widowmakers like squats. Do I do a dropset and immediately start doing the widow maker after my heavy set? Do I do negatives or a static hold on either set? 3. For deadlift u do one strait set and then decrease weight and do a couple more reps. Is 315 for 7 then 225 for 6 a good example? Is this a drop set that should be done immediately? Should I do this negative and do a static hold? 4. Is the the two set procedure with deadlifts required for other back thickness workouts such as bent over rows?

1. by slow negative do you mean a static hold or slow negatives for each rep....which is yes the negative should be emphasized..

2. NO. Rest 3-5 minutes before your widowmaker

3. NO again. Rest.

4. I'm pretty sure deadlifts are unique. For other back thickness I sometimes do two seats anyway one in the 5-8 range and the next in the 8-12 range...but that's my personal preference for back

13. Do I do slow negatives and static holds on squats and deadlifts?
    And is there a specific order to what workouts I should do? Or do my favorite one week then my second favorite then my third favorite according to the specific format

14. you don't. I believe, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, you basically do your squats and deadlifts as you normally would. Only difference is you have a set of 20 after your heavy set. Static holds and slow negatives on squats would be detrimental to you since your form is going to break down.
    Comic Sans makes me feel gangsta

15. Quote Originally Posted by 2k1s View Post
    you don't. I believe, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, you basically do your squats and deadlifts as you normally would. Only difference is you have a set of 20 after your heavy set. Static holds and slow negatives on squats would be detrimental to you since your form is going to break down.
    You're right.

16. second time doing tricep extreme stretch and ion my right arm I felt it a lot more in the shoulder than in the tricep any tips?

17. With my experience, incline Barbell bench is my favorite during a DC blast. Just my .02
    And for the tricep stretch, make sure you're pushing down towards the floor with your head and not back towards the wall. Maybe this will help...

18. How exactly do you push the dumbell down with your head when in the seated db extension position? Are these performed one arm at a time? I use the 100s and i cant lower it enough to push down with my head. I must be doing these wrong.

19. I use the 75s and can push down with my head but I feel an extreme pull on my shoulder

20. Maybe I will have someone push it down for me because I couldnt lower it any more than that. The head of the db is even with the top of my head when fully relaxed

21. your elbow is behidn your head. i wasnt a fan of DC at all. cool concepts but ill never do it again.

the stretches are sick tho, especialy the bicep / quad ones. youll be pumped beyond beleif
    Serious Nutrition Solutions

22. I've noticed on the suggested DC workout they include drag curls instead of standing barbell curls. Can I sub? Or will the drag provide better growth/strength?

23. You can sub, but they do add mass.

24. Add more mass?

25. Quote Originally Posted by drinkyboy View Post
    How exactly do you push the dumbell down with your head when in the seated db extension position? Are these performed one arm at a time? I use the 100s and i cant lower it enough to push down with my head. I must be doing these wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    I use the 75s and can push down with my head but I feel an extreme pull on my shoulder
    I have experimented doing this stretch "one armed". This made it easier to get my elbow behind my head and easier to push on the dumbell with my head.

26. I will try one armed. Thanks funkd0c.

27. I have to do it one arm at a time because my shoulders seem to choke me out! LOL!

28. I wanted to know if I when I fail at holding for 60 seconds on a stretch if it would be wise to stretch for the time I missed or start over to hit 60. Or is it not recommended?

29. Quote Originally Posted by bi0hazurd View Post
    I wanted to know if I when I fail at holding for 60 seconds on a stretch if it would be wise to stretch for the time I missed or start over to hit 60. Or is it not recommended?
    Thats a good question. I haven't thought of that. I hope someone has an answer.

30. I've been til now just kinda taking a breather for a second or two and jumping back into the stretch to hit about the last 10 seconds. It usually only happens with my quads and with my back width but backwidth only because sometimes my hands give out on me and can't hold the weight anymore