I couldnt do it - AnabolicMinds.com

I couldnt do it

1. hemotep

I couldnt do it

Just wondering how much someone my size should be able to deadlift. Im 5'11", ~170lbs. Never tried before, but I was unable to get 405 above my knees...got up there, just not over. I was able to do 375 a couple of times. Then again, this was after my leg work out. Just curios.

2. Senior Member

im confused. what are you trying to ask hemotep? are you asking how to improve your deads to reach 400 for reps or are you wondering if someone of your height and weight could do so. to tell you the truth, 375 deadlift from floor for repittion is a good mark. In fact, thats pretty damn good at 170. I myself at 177 can rep 7-8 in the upper 200's. So clearify your question and i believe you will get a more staight foward answer. Sage
  3. hemotep

Just wondering what an average 1 rep max would be for someone my size. Im pretty sure I'll get atleast 405 next times as I had just completed squats and stiff leg deadlifts with 225 for 9 reps off a 10" block. I was a bit poo'd out at the time.
    •   

4. Senior Member

well, an average one-rep max cant really be measured by age and even weight...due to inconsistancy of experience and such for various lifters. However, i can tell you that by your repitition weight you lift, you are above average. here is an example of deadlift records...but you gotta remember this is one association's list and data...there are tons out there.

http://www.isapower.tv/sys-tmpl/deadliftrecords1/
  5. New Member

Yeah, there really is no "you should be able to lift this much" answer. It all depends on your experience and everything. I can tell you that if this is your first time DLing, that's very good. How much can you squat?
  6. Ectomorph man
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.

i have to worry about my grip more in my deadlift; and thats what limits me... i feel that if i can't do it without grip straps, i can't do it at all

at 165lbs i did 4 of 265 on the deadlift... my wrist hurting like hell is what limited it
  7. New Member

Originally posted by Bean
    i have to worry about my grip more in my deadlift; and thats what limits me... i feel that if i can't do it without grip straps, i can't do it at all

at 165lbs i did 4 of 265 on the deadlift... my wrist hurting like hell is what limited it
    I had the same problem too before switching to straps.  I could barely hit 2-3 reps with any weight above 255.  Added straps and in a few weeks I was repping in the 280s and feeling a much better feel in my back.  I'd definatley recommend straps for DLs and SLDLs.  Of course now I've got to train my forearms twice as hard.
  8. Board Supporter

Originally posted by Bean

Your grip is your limiting factor here. Train your grip (and I don't mean just forearm work). Using straps will only compound the problem as you develop greater pulling strength. You are using the straps as a crutch. I can't see how anything under 300 lbs (or even 500ish) could be a limiting factor on pulling if you are using teh right type of grip. Use a reverse grip or hook grip if you need to keep the bar from rolling out of your hands.

hemotep, to answer your question, your pulling strength is quite good for someone your size. Train your lockout properly and you will have 405 in no time.
  9. New Member

I have to laugh at this thread
  10. New Member

Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
    I have to laugh at this thread
    I'm missing the joke bro,

explain?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Trying to do it right..
    By Evolve in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 01:48 AM
  2. One gallon of milk- One hour... Can you do it?
    By hypo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 11:09 AM
  3. How do you guys do it?
    By tommyboy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:12 AM
  4. Girls can do it to !!!
    By wranglergirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 02:46 PM
  5. First cycle - can I do it like this?