GYM SHOES???

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  168 lbs.
    Answers

GYM SHOES???

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new pair of gym shoes. Probably going to open a can of worms here, but I was wondering what would be the best TYPE of shoe to get for my training program. I'm currently on a 5 day a week strength training program, most weight lifters at my gym say to wear flat bottom no cushion shoes for lifting (such as Chuck Taylors). Here's the catch, I do an hour of cardio per workout either ride the stationary bike or run on the elliptical. Do I really need two pairs of shoes or is there some type of cross trainer that will suit both needs?

2. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by snopro30 View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new pair of gym shoes. Probably going to open a can of worms here, but I was wondering what would be the best TYPE of shoe to get for my training program. I'm currently on a 5 day a week strength training program, most weight lifters at my gym say to wear flat bottom no cushion shoes for lifting (such as Chuck Taylors). Here's the catch, I do an hour of cardio per workout either ride the stationary bike or run on the elliptical. Do I really need two pairs of shoes or is there some type of cross trainer that will suit both needs?
    You could get a crosstrainer - getting two pairs of shoes is a little excessive, IMO. I usually train in whatever shoes are going to be the best for the cardio that I am going to be doing if I go to the gym - my running shoes, skatey shoes, cross-trainers, or sneakers. Just depends on the individual and their personal preference.

~Rosie~
    The Primordial Woman
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Ms9
    Answers

Get a black pair on nike frees. Everyone in the gym has them.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

If you're only doing elliptical or bike riding, why do you need a pair other than the aforementioned chuck taylors? You're not running so you don't need to worry about a cross trainer. If anything, the chucks will help strengthen your feet.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    If you're only doing elliptical or bike riding, why do you need a pair other than the aforementioned chuck taylors? You're not running so you don't need to worry about a cross trainer. If anything, the chucks will help strengthen your feet.
    Word.

There's very, very little impact from those forms of cardio. I bring my running shoes and my Chuck's to the gym on my ME lower days when I do some light cardio after lifting, but most of my other cardio is barefoot (e.g. Thai boxing, conditioning, etc.)
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

i got more kicks than a kung fu fight if im squatting its chucks or barefoot, i like nike frees too.... And then any other time im in other nike kicks
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Word.

There's very, very little impact from those forms of cardio. I bring my running shoes and my Chuck's to the gym on my ME lower days when I do some light cardio after lifting, but most of my other cardio is barefoot (e.g. Thai boxing, conditioning, etc.)
    Similar situation here. I don't have Chuck's, but I wear a flat bottom shoe from payless. It helps with my leg workouts, especially calves.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  213 lbs.
    Answers

I use my flip flops in my home squat rack, but usually end up in my running shoes at the gym. I dont like the extra heel lift that the running shoes have, but I also dont like so much crap in my bag that it doesn't fit in the tiny locker I have....

Whats a good shoe that is flat besides the chucks
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  150 lbs.
    Answers

It depends on what type of lifts you're doing. If you're doing squats, cleans, deads, etc., then a shoe with a really thin sole will help increase your ground reaction force, which is your pushing off against the ground. The higher your GRF, the more power you produce. And, like wearedbleedblue said, your cardio activities are low impact, so you don't necessarily need a very cushiony sole.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

If you're doing any sort of leg movement whether it be presses or squats I think getting a shoe with a low heel can help
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

You should always have a flat bottom shoe when doing any leg workout. The less cushion the better. If your doing low impact cardio no need to get another kind of shoe. However if your running which involves a lot more impact you probably should wear a running shoe. A cheap shoe to by is skateboarding shoes. Just go to walmart/target/k-mart and get a pair. Your not worred about quality cause basically you just want to cover your feet. The typical weight lifting shoe is a high top. I don't think they are necessary because your getting some ankle support. You want to train as natural as possible. Move as close to barefoot as you can. You get more muscles involved and more of the right ones. A cushioned heel will overload your calves.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

For squats and deads I use my old wrestling shoes from when I was coaching. For everything else I have a pair of NB 993. As a severe over pronator with flat as a board feet, its the only thing I can use. Damn ugly shoe though
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    For squats and deads I use my old wrestling shoes from when I was coaching. For everything else I have a pair of NB 993. As a severe over pronator with flat as a board feet, its the only thing I can use. Damn ugly shoe though
    Look into "the stick" to loosen up your calves. It works great for me. Also do some plantar flexion (the opposite way of flexing your calves). Do a little every day and this will help alot.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

14. Registered User
    Answers

Defintely check out the five finger shoes. I hated the look but they are really comfortable to lift and run in.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Drac58 View Post
    Defintely check out the five finger shoes. I hated the look but they are really comfortable to lift and run in.
    How are these to run in? They really made me think this summer when I ran on the beach barefoot and my joints felt better then running with my running shoes on a rubber track. Sometimes I feel like my running shoes cause instability even though they are motion controlled shoes.

16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    Look into "the stick" to loosen up your calves. It works great for me. Also do some plantar flexion (the opposite way of flexing your calves). Do a little every day and this will help alot.
    Awesome my friend.....thank you very much
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    How are these to run in? They really made me think this summer when I ran on the beach barefoot and my joints felt better then running with my running shoes on a rubber track. Sometimes I feel like my running shoes cause instability even though they are motion controlled shoes.
    I have read the same thing from multiple people on multiple sites. All of them say they are great, and they rebuild the arch of your foot supposedly. $80-85 for something like that isn't too bad.

For deadlifts, squats I have an old shoe I used to do Kung Fu in where you can actually grasp the ground with your toes. Their like wearing nothing at all, and I believe only cost about $20 dollars. There is no way you can run in them though.

Also for your foot has anyone tried standing one foot at a time on a tennis ball and moving your foot over it? This feels really good and is said to really help alleviate foot and leg pain. Dan John is the first person I heard of talk about using this with his athletes.
  18. Registered User
    Answers

chucks in my opinion hurt my feet and I never found extremely flat shoes to be beneficial for squats. I would get a pair of running shoes nike or new balance something that would be good for some jogging and something you can lift weights in.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by castro10 View Post
    One thing that I've tried to use are the Vibram five fingered shoes. They are a little pricey but so are shoes in general. They grip better on the floor while doing squats or any weight lifting exercise per se. These shoes also could be good for jogging or doing cardio because they are more natural feeling and are more comfortable.
    I love my 5 finger shoes. I have the bikila blue ones. I used those most the time and my addidas power lifting shoes for dead lifts when I feel I really need to use my heels.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  172 lbs.
    Answers

get the @ss shaper ones. even saw that now there making close to shape your body while you do nothing. LOL. No really it depends on what your doing.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Answers

fivefinger treksport
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I couldn't find a five finger to fit me, that was in stock, so I just bought some chucks. They suck for the walk to the gym from the truck, but they kick ass in the gym. 30 bucks too.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

As of late I've really been liking these as an all around cross-trainer. They do pretty well for lifting and handle well for my running and cardio.

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detai...7&P=5050973021
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    As of late I've really been liking these as an all around cross-trainer. They do pretty well for lifting and handle well for my running and cardio.

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detai...7&P=5050973021

Those look pretty sweet. As a soldier who HAS to run (damnit) I hate lifting in shoes I run in, because I always buy good shoes and squatting/leg pressing just kills the sole so fast
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Get some strength shoes like the Reebok easy tone or the Skechers kind. I own both and they've helped me a lot.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    Those look pretty sweet. As a soldier who HAS to run (damnit) I hate lifting in shoes I run in, because I always buy good shoes and squatting/leg pressing just kills the sole so fast

For the longest time I just kicked my shoes off right before I started a set of squats or deads and them slid them back on, but that got old after awhile.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. DL Shoes
    By machwon04 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 07:13 PM