Alcohol and Strength???

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18%

Alcohol and Strength???

Is there a correlation between alcohol and loss of strength? This past weekend I had a few (too many) beers with friends. We drank Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I usually drink 6 beers on Fridays, but since it's the summer and many friends are visiting, enjoying their free time, etc., we ended up drinking quite a bit.

I did not go to the gym on Monday because I still felt a little hung over, so I went to bed quite early and slept about 12 hours.

On Tuesday I went to the gym and ALL my lifts had to be done with about 20-30 lbs of weight less than what I was used to. I felt extremely weak, as if I had taken a 3-month gym break.

Did this happen due to the alcohol? How does alcohol interact with muscles and weight training?

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.26%

Dehydration, disorientation, lessened mind muscle connection. fatigue.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18%

Quote Originally Posted by deadaim View Post
    Dehydration, disorientation, lessened mind muscle connection. fatigue.
    Dehydration doesn't apply: like I said, I slept 12 hours the day before hitting the gym and re-hydrated my body.

I was not disoriented either: I slept more than enough.

I might have been fatigued, I don't know, but with all that sleeping?

Lessend mind-muscle connection: This sounds interesting. Would you happen to have a link that discusses this?
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.54%

Just give it a few days and you'll be fine. Many people are wayyy too quick to claim alcohol causes strength and fitness loss. It's just empty calories, and too much is poison to your body. But the same applies to many mainstream food & drinks (IE: fast food and sodas).
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18%

Quote Originally Posted by KingLouisXXIV View Post
    Just give it a few days and you'll be fine. Many people are wayyy too quick to claim alcohol causes strength and fitness loss. It's just empty calories, and too much is poison to your body. But the same applies to many mainstream food & drinks (IE: fast food and sodas).
    I really hope so, but the fact is I can lift and lift hard right after a Super-sized Bacon Triple Meal from MickeyD's but apparently not after having some beers.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Do not quote me as I am NOT POSITIVE but I think alcohol or an excess amount of it can lower test levels for a SHORT time....not positive DeadAim what do you think?.....Always have been a knowledgeable guy
    Test e/dbol/epi/winnie
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/164764-schwellington-has-been.html
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.81%

excessive alcohol consumption can cause disrupted breathing through out the night which in turn causes poor sleep.

amjmed.com/article/0002-9343(81)90124-8/abstract
    (old article but shows not only how alcohol affects the first night of rest but also the night after with zero consumption)

koreamed.org/SearchBasic.php?RID=700782&DT= 1&QY=alcohol+[ALL]+sleep+[ALL]
    (decreased REM sleep)

erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/16/5/909
    (significantly increases both obstructive sleep apnoea frequency and mean sleep cardiac frequency)

jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/51/4/759
    (All measures of GH, including total integral for bedtime hours, mean hourly rate, and peak level, were similarly affected by alcohol.)
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.59%

Interesting article on the subject
    A Musclehead's Guide to Alcohol
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.59%

Quote Originally Posted by SuppKnight View Post
    Is there a correlation between alcohol and loss of strength?
    Ya think?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18%

Quote Originally Posted by rambo679 View Post
    Interesting article on the subject
    A Musclehead's Guide to Alcohol
    Thanks, that was actually quite informative.
  11. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  209 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.59%

Isn't it amazing what answers people could find if they spent five seconds to research it?
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.01%

Sounds to me like it's in your head.. just saying.
    Seems like you're telling yourself it effects you so to you, it does.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

nah man, i guy i look up to alot he lifted for like 20 years and he told me if im taking supplements and drinking ( i used to drink alot, your one weekend was like every weekend for me except beer was more like crown royal ) i might as well be burning money because i can kiss all my gains goodbye and creatine gets pissed out faster than ever protein is disposed and what not, he didnt have alot of science behind what he was telling me but if you seen him you wouldnt question him whatever he was doing was more than working
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.94%

"In another study, two to three beers per day was shown to lower Testosterone levels by 6.8 percent during a three-week period. (15)"

(From Muscleheads guide to alcohol)

Ouch! I need every percent I can get...
    EatTrainSleepEatTrainSleepEatT rainSleepEatTrainSleepEatTrain SleepEatTrainSleepEatTrainSlee pEatTrainSleepEatTrainSleepEat TrainSleepEatTrainSleepEatTrai nSleepEatTrainSleep
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by schwellington View Post
    Do not quote me as I am NOT POSITIVE but I think alcohol or an excess amount of it can lower test levels for a SHORT time....not positive DeadAim what do you think?.....Always have been a knowledgeable guy
    yes up to 25% i believe i saw a articvle about it, for up to like 24-36 hours i think

no wonder people get "whiskey ****" hahah
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  269 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.01%

Alcohol significantly decreases test levels. Recent studies have found that the decrease in test was at the 12 hour mark and remained consistently lowered for 24-48 hours after consumption. Alcohol also increases cortisol production and cortisol inhibits test production. As long as higher levels of cortisol are present test levels will remain lower....

Why does alcohol inhibit test production? Simple explanation....

Some of the enzymes that are needed to produce testosterone are also utilized by the human body to break down alcohol content, thus inhibiting test production (yes believe it or not the testes possess enzymes used in the breakdown of alcohol). Alcohol and its breakdown takes precedence and bodily enzymes used in test production suffer as a result. Thus contributing to lower levels of test and a decrease in strength. However like the old saying goes everyone is different and will react differently. Personally I can't lift for anything after a night of heaving drinking...and usually wait a day or two before resuming. Whenever I drink I usually pop a few ZMA caps as soon as possible and try to drink water between drinks to help with dehydration.

I have a bunch of studies to post to cite my sources, but I am not at 50 posts. All of my studies are from legitimate sources (New England Journal of Medicine, NIH, etc.).
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i never feel an effect.. As long as i eat a huge meal and drink a couple gatorades i will be fine to train...

Brian Schawb sp noted in his logs that he drinks a 3-4 beers a nite after training and hes setting world records...
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  269 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.01%

Arnold Schwarzenegger also used to drink and smoke, directly after and during weight lifting sessions, and he is freaking Arnold.

The studies I read did mention that ultimately it does come down to genetics, and like the saying goes everyone responds differently.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  253 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.87%

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i never feel an effect.. As long as i eat a huge meal and drink a couple gatorades i will be fine to train...

Brian Schawb sp noted in his logs that he drinks a 3-4 beers a nite after training and hes setting world records...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    Arnold Schwarzenegger also used to drink and smoke, directly after and during weight lifting sessions, and he is freaking Arnold.

The studies I read did mention that ultimately it does come down to genetics, and like the saying goes everyone responds differently.

Schwab and Schwarz are/were also not 100% natural. When 'chemical enhancements' are involved it changes the overall effects of alcohol in the body. Alcohol is still affecting the body in the same manner, but because the hormone levels are elevated it isn't quite causing the testosterone-lowering effects like it does in those who are 'natural'. I know Brian Schwab personally and he's an awesome individual and an incredible lifter so this is not a knock on him at all. Just wanted to state the facts...

I usually go alcohol-free about a week to 10 days before a meet. Whether it makes a difference or not, I don't know. It's OK to enjoy a couple beers/drinks now and then. Just remember that moderation is key.
    -- JB \m/
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift." - Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Similar Forum Threads

1. Nolvadex suspended in Alcohol or any form of alcohol in it?
    By schwellington in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 02:15 PM
  2. muscle strength and bone strength
    By darkblue1 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM
  3. Alcohol & JW a no no?
    By MrZ in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 02:30 PM
  4. alcohol