adivice on chest/tricep day

1. Board Supporter

adivice on chest/tricep day

This is what I have been doing

flat bench press- 3 sets x 4-6reps
    incline DB press- 2 sets x4-6reps
    incline DB fly- 1 set x 4-6reps

skull crusher- 3 sets x 4-6 reps

It's based on the MAX OT type trainning, only I dropped and changed it a bit for myself.

Chest part of it has been going great, my bench has gone up 5 lbs each week for the past 2 weeks. SO I'm feeling gains there, incline has stayed the same weight wise, but reps are going up, same with the flys.

Problem is triceps, hasn't been going up, not even an extra rep. I really need them to grow, it's one of my priorities. Should I drop the sets of skull crushers, or maybe do a totally different exercise? building mass is what I'm after. Or maybe just do no direct tricep work??

what do you guys think?

let me know

2. Gate Keeper

Try doing triceps first in the routine.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  182 lbs.

How about this:

Flat bench 4 set
    Incline bench 3 set
    Flys 3 set
    Forward Dips 3 set
    Close grip Bench 3 set
    Skullcrushers 3 set
    •   

4. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

For the very reason you have discribed, I no longer do tri's on chest day. For me when I switched to back/tri's, my tri strength and size has increase at a better rate.

There is absolutely no benefit in doing both flat BB bench and DB or BB inclines. Your pecs are one big muscle, by doing what you've been doing, it won't bring up lower or upper, or even outer or inner pec development...

YOur pecs grow as a whole, not seperately. If wanting to bring up upper pecs, than stick with inclines only....if you have no particular reason for bringing up the upper part and for whatever reason you're doing the inclines together, stop.....just stick to flat.....when plateauing switch to either decline or incline.....thats just another one of those BB'ing myths that people need to shy away from...

When growth occurs w/ pecs, they usually fill out from bottom-up, and from outer to inner....only thing that determines how ones chest will look is simply genetics, nothing else...

Again, you can only use the different angle presses in order to simply hit the chest in a certain angle in order to try and recruit more fiber in that one area...

For sheer Tricep mass, you IMHO, need to stick to more compound movements....Try doing close grips for awhile....those are my favorite exc. and they never let me down....Either that, or try doing dips like the ohters have suggested...those two exc. are IMO, the best mass builders for triceps bar none...
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by b5150
    For the very reason you have discribed, I no longer do tri's on chest day. For me when I switched to back/tri's, my tri strength and size has increase at a better rate.
    Agreed. Are you only doing skull crushers? Try doing tris on back day and do dips first then skull crushers and end with a couple of sents of push downs to finish them off.
  7. Registered User

I don't do multiple bench exercises either. I do 1 bench type and one stretch exercise (Flyes, Crossover, dips) per workout and change it every month.

The first thing I would do is switch to something else for triceps for a while to see if you can spur new growth.
  8. Registered User

I had split my tricep workout from my chest for about 6 weeks and had some decent results. Was doing chest/bi's, back/tri's, legs/shoulders. The only thing was my elbows were beginning to ache during certain lifts, and post workout. Felt like a knife was being inserted and twisted during heavy skull crushers. I figured I was putting too much strain on my elbows by hitting triceps directly, then indirectly two days later. So I replaced the skulls with close grip bench and the pain subsided.

Currently, I am following IA's 3-day double rotation routine, which works chest/shoulder/tri's in the same workout. I'm in my third week now, and so far I do like the routine. Here's the link to IA's routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs
    I had split my tricep workout from my chest for about 6 weeks and had some decent results. Was doing chest/bi's, back/tri's, legs/shoulders. The only thing was my elbows were beginning to ache during certain lifts, and post workout. Felt like a knife was being inserted and twisted during heavy skull crushers. I figured I was putting too much strain on my elbows by hitting triceps directly, then indirectly two days later. So I replaced the skulls with close grip bench and the pain subsided.

Currently, I am following IA's 3-day double rotation routine, which works chest/shoulder/tri's in the same workout. I'm in my third week now, and so far I do like the routine. Here's the link to IA's routine.

YEah I hear what you guys are saying about not having the chest, sh, tris, in the same workout.....However I do it like this cuffs (may help you out a bit more with that split....

Sunday: Chest/tris
    Tuesday: Back/bis
    Thursday: delts/deads/squats or leg presses (thats all the direct leg work I do, and alternate between squats and LP's every other week)

**Also, I'm only doing 1-2 exc./bodypart and 1-2 sets at the most and maybe a beyond failure technique......I think its pretty much like yourself...and its been working great.

But as you can see, maybe you'll benefit more like the way I do so you won't have to group all those together on chest day. I used to do that to, cuz you want to try and minimize the overlap as much as possible....but I lift w/ such intensity that I just can't get the power after all the workload....If you can recover from it, than I highly suggest doing it that way...
  10. Registered User

here's what i do for chest & tri's... and yes i work them in the same day.
    i work out in this order as well :

Chest

Flat Bench Barbell / Dumbbell (alternate weekly) - 10x 8x 6x
    Incline Bench Dumbbell - 10x 8x 6x
    Dumbbell Flies (or Pec Deck machine ...one arm at a time for extended movement) - 10x 8x 6x
    Cable Crossovers - 10x 8x 6x

Triceps

Dips - 10x 8x 6x (use a weight belt to add weight, if using bodyweight increase reps)
    Close grip bench - 10x 8x 6x
    Skull krushers into Closegrip Bench with EZ Barbell - 10x10x 8x8x 6x6x
    Dumbbell behind Head - 10x 8x 6x

train with extreme intensity or else you wont see ****.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.

I also do chest/shoulders/tri's in one workout, similar to IA's and love it

As said above, I don't see the point in doing too many sets of pressing movements in one workout, as in flat BB then DB incline. As Skark said, I do one press and one stretch exercise for chest: incline DB's and either fly's or dips.

As for the tricep question, I like the idea of doing tri's forst in the routine, although realize that your pressing movements will go down in weight at first, but that's expected.
  12. Registered User

Your not going up in weight because your triceps are probably fried from your chest work out. Also isolation exercises especially for arms are probably the hardest to put strength on. How often do you see some one curling or skull crushers with 315? If you making progress on your benching poundage's stick with it and don't worry too much about the skull crushers because your hitting your triceps any way. I made some of the best gains in size for tri's when I was maxing out on the bench. I would also probably change the incline flies to incline dumbbell press.
  13. Registered User

I to have been training chest / tri for some time now together, workout did last week was:

smith low incline press: 2 sets
    flat db press: 2 sets
    weighted dips: 2 sets
    smith close grip press: 2 sets

Simple, short and sweet, only work sets are listed above.
  14. Registered User

If u can, instead of doing your close grip bench's on a flat bench, try em on a decline, im pretty sure you'll like the results in the morning alot better

Can you say "redundant"?? Se Jergo's comments above.....

Iron Addict
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Popping in shoulder on chest day
    By shroyer13 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM
  2. day 1 triceps day 2 chest
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
  3. Chest and back on the same day?