My New Routine

A

asoulecpt

Awards
I've been training for about 5 years now. I am currently a personal trainer, so I've tried many different routines as well as supplements. I know as well as anyone, that without a good diet, all else is nothing. Right now I am 24 years old, I weigh 160 (which actaully isn't too bad, I am very small boned, an ectomorph to the extreme) and my b/f is at 10%. I am looking to bulk and have decided on the DC four day split. 8 Reps to failure with Rest Pause and only 1 set.

Sunday: Incline Dumbbell Press
Over-Head Dumbbell Press
Rope Extensions
Dumbbell Bent-Over-Rows

Monday: E-Z Bar Curls
Forearm Curls
Seated Calf Raises
Seated Leg Press

Tuesday: Rest Day

Wednesday: Smith Machine Bench Press
E-Z Bar Upright Rows
Weighted Dips
Lat Pulldowns
Cable Rows

Thursday: Hammer Curls
Reverse Forearm Curls
Standing Calf Raises
Squats

Mick81

Mick81

Awards
Deadlifts? Weighted chins / pullups?

I'd ditch the smith bench too, if you don't have a free weight bench, hit the dumbells.....

A

asoulecpt

Awards
I will add pull-ups to Monday and replace the cable rows with deadlifts. I was thinking about the smith for a self spotter but your right, free weights are a better route. I can always ask for a spot. Thanks for your advice bro!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're trying to bulk, concentrate on big compound lifts using a heavy weight. It's best to start your workout with your compound lifts and then do isolation exercises if you want. This way you're doing your hardest exercises first when you have more energy; being able to put the most effort into the lifts that allow you to use the most muscle and poundage. This is why deadlifts and squats are a good idea for any bulking routine.

If your goal is to put on size, I'd do away with a lot of the arms-specific work. Take that effort and put it into heavier compound lifts. For example, any pressing movement is going to involve the triceps and any pulling movement (most any back exercise) is going to involve the triceps.

I agree with not using a smith machine for your presses. Smith machines are good if you're trying to rehab an injury but otherwise you'd want to use a bar or dumbbells because you'll end up using more muscle. With free weights you're using muscle to balance the weight while with a smith machine, the bar slides on a set path so you don't have to use as much muscle to balance the weight.

Think heavy and think compound. Then it's a matter of figuring out how much volume.

A

asoulecpt

Awards
I already feel how much more productive the DC training is than ordinary bulk workouts. Type O, thanks for the advice man! If you had a workout in mind that might suit me, let me know, I would love to you know your own theory.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's an example of the routine I'm using. Basically it involves hitting each muscle group twice per week with lower volumes. I keep this up until I know I need a break (often for me it's 5-6 weeks on, 1 week off)..

* Warm up however suits you best. You can switch up the rep ranges to suit your needs and change the number of sets if you'd like. If anything, I'd decrease the sets for any given exercise before I increased it. So definitely don't take this routine and perform it exactly as I have it written. You can sort of figure out what I'm going for; you'd want to change it to suit you. Finding the sweet spot when it comes to volume is the key. Some people can handle more volume, most do better with less. If you find yourself gradually getting more and more fatigued workout after workout, you're probably overdoing it or your diet or rest is lacking. If so, lessen the amount you do until you find yourself progressing again. Add weight to your exercises as needed. I'm assuming your goals are to improve the quality of your physique; if so, it's all about technique and fine tuning your training methods to suit your own body. How much weight you're lifting isn't as important as how good your technique and training habits are. If you're doing it right, you'll get stronger (and you'll want to so you can induce more overload), but strength isn't the ultimate goal unless you're a weight lifter or something. I could care less how much I can lift in a gym as long as I'm improving the quality of my physique.

Day 1 - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Roman Chairs x 5 minutes (not necessarily 5 minutes straight.. Warms up the CNS)
Bench Presses 3 x 8, 6, 4-6
Incline DB Presses 3 x 8, 6, 4-6
Arnold Presses or DB Presses 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6
Weighted Triceps Dips 1-2 x 6ish (shoot for 6 strong, deliberate reps)
(Abs exercise) x 4 sets (Make sure these are deliberate reps, not fast and choppy)

Day 2 - Back/Legs/Biceps
Roman Chairs x 5 minutes
Weighted Pull-ups 4 x 8-10ish (don't have to use weight)
Bent-over Underhand BB Rows 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6
Barbell Lunges 4 x 8-10ish (after warming up)
Standing Calve Raises 3 x 10-12ish, 1 x 4-6ish
(Biceps Exercise) 1 x 6-8
(Biceps Exercise) 1 x 6-8 (optional)
* I prefer standing bar curls, incline DB curls, lying curls, standing DB curls, preacher curls, concentration curls or reverse curls. I swap them out all the time and it's been working very well.

Day 3 - Off (rest days are very important)

Day 4 - Shoulders/Chest/Triceps/Abs
Roman Chairs x 5 minutes
DB Presses or some other compound shoulder exercise 3 x 8, 6, 4-6
Side or Rear DB Laterals (switch it up) 3 x 6-8 deliberate, full reps
Pressing movement for chest (i.e., incline DB presses) 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6
(Abs) 4 sets (I prefer regular crunches or reverse crunches)
** Sometimes after abs I'll do standing side twists for obliques. This is a great exercise for keeping your sides tight. I do about 30 reps for each side.

Day 5 - Legs/Back/Biceps
Roman Chairs x 5 minutes
Squats 4 x 10, 8, 6, 4-6, +1 set of higher reps optional (12-15 reps)
Leg Curls 4 x 8-10ish
(Rowing exercise such as BB rows, cable rows, T-bar rows) 4 x 6-10
(Calves work) x 4 sets
(Biceps exercise) 1 x 6-8ish
(Biceps exercise) 1 x 6-8ish (optional)

APPROXIMATE TOTAL SETS PER WEEK PER MUSCLE GROUP:
Chest: 10
Shoulders: 10
Back: 12
Thighs: 12
Calves: 8
Biceps: 2-4
Triceps: 2-4

You can swap out some exercises for others as long as they work in a similar fashion. For example, you could swap out barbell rows for seated rows, since they both work the back in a similar fashion, but don't swap out a rowing exercise for an exercise like lat pulldowns (On day 2 where you do back first, I'd recommend always keeping barbell rows, just switch up underhand and overhand grips). I like to keep things varied. As of now I'm switching out between 2 similar workouts (i.e, Week 1, Week 2, Week 1, Week 2, ect..). Each routine looks similar to the one above, but I use different exercises. It keeps me for getting used to the same old routine. I do deadlifts every other week on Day 2; I exclude the pulldown exercise (pull-ups) and replace them with the rows, then afterwards I warm up before doing 3 sets of heavy deadlifts (3 x 5, 3, 1). I may do one set of pull-ups before I do the rows. Also, do abs whenever they feel "fresh." It's all about what YOUR goals are. For instance, I don't necessarily want massive thighs at the moment, so though I work my legs, I don't try to bulk them up a whole lot. At one point my thighs were pretty damn big for my frame and I hated it. Use trail-and-error to figure out what works best for you to get you the results you want. Eventually you'll figure out that "knowing" what to do becomes the easy part and simply doing it is the real work.

PM me if you want more elaboration

Peace

A

asoulecpt

Awards
I like the workout, thanks for the extra advice Type O. The hamstrings are used a lot on lunges youngandfree, looking for just compound movements and not iso.

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Well you didn't list lunges or anything compound for your hamstrings in your first post which is why I asked.

A

asoulecpt

Awards
Ah I see what you mean, I just noticed I put squats and not barbell lunges, that was a mistake. Good oberservation bro, the hammtys are important! I like the workout so far, Type O, I like your method but I still need to tweak a few things for my structure. Any workout advice YoungandFree?