This is my routine...its pretty hardcore so you can modify it or whatever, Ive had stellar results with it and so maybe you guys can try it....
2 sets weighted leg lifts (15 reps)
2 sets slow crunches (25 reps, flexing abs all the way)
2 sets bicycles (mod. speed, controlled, 50 reps)
2 sets alternating crunches (elbow to opposite knee slow and controlled 25 reps)
2 sets side crunches (back straight on the ground like a normal crunch, rotate hips so your legs are on top of eachother, like you're laying on your side, 25 reps)
Day 2: Same as day 1
3 sets crunches (moderate speed, 25 slow reps)
3 sets medicine ball crunches (20 reps)
3 sets medicine ball twists (usually 25-30 reps)
3 sets weighted crunches (35lb dumbell on your chest, on a decline bench and crunch)
3 sets weighted oblique swings (load a barbell with moderate weight, put it on your neck like a squat, sit down and slowly twist from side to side: Make sure you're using your midsection, not momentum)
**Thats it. Some say its overtraining, but you first have to understand the abdominal muscle fibers. If cutting hard, I'll do 3 days of abs. To those who say its overtraining, consider this... I use no weight, only my upper body weight.... would you run more than once or twice a week? Of course. Is that overtraining your calves? No. Same deal with abs. Now when you add weight, its a different story, your abdominals become like your pecs or delts or quads, they must rest.
Some other notes:
- No matter how many days, sets or reps you do, that 6 pack is not going to happen without a low body fat. Around 8% (for me) is when my 6 pack really busts out. It usually various, but pretty close.
- Like Coleman or Cutler's ab program and wanna try it? Go ahead. But remember, They recover MUCH faster than you will....they have "help" and unless you do, I wouldnt try it.
- Easy on the crunches. Go slow, flex them the whole way through, reps isnt the key to abs, concentration and hitting all muscle fibers is.
- You low back. The low back is a under-rated part of abs and strength. A good, strong low back is another key to a 6-pack.
- Cutting gel. Oh boy....wont even mention how worthless this **** is.
- Cardio! Cut your body fat down with cardio, watch the abs come out.
-"Love Handles". These suck if you have them, they're difficult to work, a low BF will eliminate them for the most part
**I know you guys have good ab routines and tips, so you're more than welcome to post yours.......