Is supinating your hand a waste of time for DB curls? - AnabolicMinds.com

Is supinating your hand a waste of time for DB curls?

1. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee
    It's often said that supinating your hands while doing DB curls will really "peak" your biceps. Well, assuming you believe that peaks are the results of genetics and not exercises, is supinating a waste of time? Would one be better off sticking to normal BB curls or just regular DB curls keeping your palms facing foward throughout the movement?
    Supination has a definite purpose and is not something you want to leave out of your program.Having said that, it will not "add more to your peaks." It will just insure full development of what is already there.

2. New Member

Is supinating your hand a waste of time for DB curls?

It's often said that supinating your hands while doing DB curls will really "peak" your biceps. Well, assuming you believe that peaks are the results of genetics and not exercises, is supinating a waste of time? Would one be better off sticking to normal BB curls or just regular DB curls keeping your palms facing foward throughout the movement?
  3. Senior Member

I really like the feeling I get in the biceps when using supinated dumbbell curls where I rotate my wrist to straighten the dumbbell at the top of the rep. This however lead to a wrist injury, whether tendon or ligament related, which I'm still recovering from. I suspect my wrist wasn't strong enough to support the weight I was curling, as my strength was rapidly increasing on a m1t cycle.
    •   

4. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee
    supination is keeping your palms forward
  5. New Member

You're right...hopefully you know what I mean though.
  6. Senior Member

The biceps has 2 physiological functions, to flex the arm & to supinate the wrist. To truly work the bicep to it's fullest, some say that you must train both functions. I honestly don't notice a difference with or without, but there has to be some benefit to it. The peak is determined by genetics.
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceaze
    supination is keeping your palms forward
    You're wrong. that's protination(sp?)
  8. Senior Member

You also want to keep in mind that when you flex the arm with your hands protinated the prime mover is the bicep brachialis. When you do the same with hands supinated, the prime mover is bicep brachi (sp?) I can't spell worth a ****, but I know my kinesiology.
  9. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    You're wrong. that's protination(sp?)
    with your hands at your sides, your palms are facing forward when supinated. Take an anatomy class
  10. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    You also want to keep in mind that when you flex the arm with your hands protinated the prime mover is the bicep brachialis. When you do the same with hands supinated, the prime mover is bicep brachi (sp?) I can't spell worth a ****, but I know my kinesiology.
    Actually you have it reversed. Normal everday elbow flexion involves the brachialis muscle. It is considered the prime mover of elbow flexion. When you supinate your wrist you are calling in the biceps brachii. If you keep your wrist in the neutral position then you can target more brachioradialis.

Similar Forum Threads

1. OTC PCT is a waste of time and money.
    By timmmah in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
  2. H-Drol a Waste of Time?????
    By vpdman in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 02:41 AM
  3. Supplement Combo. Good idea or waste of time?
    By Fisha7487 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 01:40 AM
  4. Is PE a Waste of Time?
    By CDB in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 12:05 PM