female exercise program

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have a good link for a toning / cardio training regimen for girls looking to tone up?

basic programs welcome. for my gf who is getting into fitness.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
no one :( is there a basic program for toning. ill do some searching. thought one of you could save me a lot of time

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Paired with a solid training routine and good diet this cardio circuit has the potential to provide great fat loss results:

Figure Athlete - Get Off the Treadmill and Get Metabolic!

Most women are too afraid to lift weights, but honestly this is going to give the best results if one is looking to "tone" (which is essentially losing fat and gaining muscle). Lifting HARD and HEAVY will do the trick. No pinky dumbells, but a good solid weight that makes you push yourself. Being a woman doesn't give you the excuse to take it easy and not push yourself. Girls need to be strong and fit too. :)

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
Paired with a solid training routine and good diet this cardio circuit has the potential to provide great fat loss results:

Figure Athlete - Get Off the Treadmill and Get Metabolic!

Most women are too afraid to lift weights, but honestly this is going to give the best results if one is looking to "tone" (which is essentially losing fat and gaining muscle). Lifting HARD and HEAVY will do the trick. No pinky dumbells, but a good solid weight that makes you push yourself. Being a woman doesn't give you the excuse to take it easy and not push yourself. Girls need to be strong and fit too. :)
agreed any weight training routines to go with?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
You don't need to train any different from a male. I would have you work with a routine hitting your muscles once-twice per week. You don't have as high of testosterone as a male, so you might have more trouble building any muscle.

"Toning" doesn't exist, by the way. You can burn fat and you will appear to be "toned" if you have muscle.

I'll lay something out real quick:

Monday- front squat, barbell row, lat pulldowns, deadlift
Wednesday- back squat, bench press, lat pulldown, overhead press
Friday- stiff-leg deadlift, lateral raise, curls, tricep extensions or rope pulldowns

Lift weights during the day, try to do some abs at night. When you stimulate your abs through hip flexion movements like sit ups, hanging leg raises, and so forth: try to squeeze the glutes to disable use of the hip flexors so you more specifically target your abs and avoid lordosis.

For your rep range: 3x10-12 should be good.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
so cardio in the am, either on machine or as the circuit linked to above from tmuscle.

then a weight lifting routine like king mentioned during the day? How often does one cardio if weight lifting 3-4x a week?

On a side note, i benched 315 1rm tonight. pretty happy :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does anyone have a good link for a toning / cardio training regimen for girls looking to tone up?

basic programs welcome. for my gf who is getting into fitness.
There is NO such thing as "toning". This is a term that refers to either a) losing bodyfat, b) gaining muscle mass, or c) losing bodyfat whilst gaining muscle mass (i.e. recomping).

Check out The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - this article covers EVERYTHING from nutrition to training re weights and cardio, for fat loss, for beginners and advanced trainees.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

orangerain

Awards
When I still had a personal trainer, I was advised to do cardio for 20-30 minutes everyday and do strength training every other day (but I only did it twice a week, still works fine).

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
When I still had a personal trainer, I was advised to do cardio for 20-30 minutes everyday and do strength training every other day (but I only did it twice a week, still works fine).
split up into the am cardio and strength training in the pm?

orangerain

Awards
split up into the am cardio and strength training in the pm?
Actually, my trainer doesn't split cardio and strength training since I really don't have time to go to the gym in the morning then in the afternoon (my schedule at the university is very hectic). So, when I train, it's all at once. My training with him looks sort of like this...

Monday-Wednesday-Friday:
Cardio (treadmill/elliptical) for 30 minutes then my trainer lets me join group exercises in the gym such as yoga or dance. Group exercises usually last for an hour.

Tuesday-Thursday:
Treadmill for about 30 minutes then we move on to strength training. After lifting, he lets me go on the elliptical for about 15 minutes.

Saturday: Cardio for 30 minutes + Strenth Training

Sunday: Cardio + Group Exercise

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Have her read the Rachel Cosgrove book or Lou Schuler Lift like a man look like a goddess, or something like that. Both great intros to fitness for a woman and written in a highly relatable nature. Its usually easier to have a gf read an outside source than try to teach her yourself unless you're an expert in the field.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
Have her read the Rachel Cosgrove book or Lou Schuler Lift like a man look like a goddess, or something like that. Both great intros to fitness for a woman and written in a highly relatable nature. Its usually easier to have a gf read an outside source than try to teach her yourself unless you're an expert in the field.
thanks will look into this