deadlift grip - AnabolicMinds.com

deadlift grip

Stats
    5'11"  189 lbs.

deadlift grip

I just started doing deadlifts again a week ago, and I started out being able to grip it with both hands the same(over hand), once I got past 225 lbs my grip starts to slip after only a few reps. Is it ok to do inverted(left under, right over) or will this build my muscles unevenly?

Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

I always grip "inverted" and never use straps, never had a problem with being uneven.

No, that's called a neutral grip and its perfectly acceptable. Muscle will not be built unevenly, body doesn't work like that. Just remember to switch grips every set and so on.
    •   

Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.

I do the same. Ill do a set of 185 and 225 with pronated grip. Once I am in the 300's I switch to the alternate grip.
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Same here. Right around 225 I have to use an alternated grip. Just switch up which hand is over/under from time to time like gamer said. I haven't noticed any uneven changes.
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    No, that's called a neutral grip and its perfectly acceptable. Muscle will not be built unevenly, body doesn't work like that. Just remember to switch grips every set and so on.
    Neutral grip ehy. didnt know what it was called. Its just how I was taught to DL. I dont even switch them to be honest, its not comfortable for me, not saying your wrong, just never seen a reason to as everything is fine.
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.

I prefer the 'left over, right under grip' as it feels more natural and when I switch to the next set and have a 'right over, left under grip' it feels more awkward even though I'm mirroring that of my first grip - Does anyone else have this?
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Everyone is a little more comfortable with a mixed grip one way. That doesn't mean you can't alternate in training though. It's not a bad idea to be able to switch to the opposite of your preferred grip in case at some point you have a minor bicep or shoulder injury that is helped by a different grip. I switch every other set in training, but use my preferred grip at meets.
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckDB View Post
    I prefer the 'left over, right under grip' as it feels more natural and when I switch to the next set and have a 'right over, left under grip' it feels more awkward even though I'm mirroring that of my first grip - Does anyone else have this?
    Yes I have L out R in grip always, never a problem or reason to switch. personal preference. I have never competed (except against myself) so I just train to my Personal Preference.
    Stats
    5'10"  156 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MM11 View Post
    Yes I have L out R in grip always, never a problem or reason to switch. personal preference. I have never competed (except against myself) so I just train to my Personal Preference.
    Fair enough, I just switch my grip every set unless I'm going for a 'new pb' and then I just stay with my preferred grip for that one.
  11. Pinky355

I'm a switcher every set and honestly dont have a prefered side now.
    Stats
    5'9"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    My right tricep is bigger than my left due to the fact when i worked as a surveyor i hammered stakes and cut brush with my right arm only. Unevenness can occur though i dont know to what extent it would be with an alternate grip if you didnt change what hand was doing what. I suggest switching it up
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    My right tricep is bigger than my left due to the fact when i worked as a surveyor i hammered stakes and cut brush with my right arm only. Unevenness can occur though i dont know to what extent it would be with an alternate grip if you didnt change what hand was doing what. I suggest switching it up
    That's because you were actually using one muscle more then the other. The hands only serve as hooks in the dead lifts. Your not exerting more effort from one side of the traps, rhomboids and teres then the other as a result of hand grip.
    NSCA - CSCS
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky355 View Post
    I'm a switcher every set and honestly dont have a prefered side now.
    I'm pretty much the same way, although I usually pull my heaviest set with my left hand pronated these days.

Oddly, I used to prefer to pull with the opposite grip in high school and during my first 8 months lifting heavy again, then it suddenly felt more comfortable to pull the other way. Go figure.
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I don't think Neutral is the proper term for the grip being discussed. I believe a neutral grip is when palms face one another, i.e. when you do hammer curls or neutral grip pull-ups.

Mixed, or alternate is the correct term I think, but then, I'm not a CSCS. Volc, care to enlighten us?
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I don't think Neutral is the proper term for the grip being discussed. I believe a neutral grip is when palms face one another, i.e. when you do hammer curls or neutral grip pull-ups.

Mixed, or alternate is the correct term I think, but then, I'm not a CSCS. Volc, care to enlighten us?
    You're correct. Neutral grip is palms facing each other. Pronated grip is what they've been describing, both hands over grip. As for mixed or alternate grip (or switch grip), there's no single technical term for it. I usually just say over-under so there's no confusion.
    NSCA - CSCS
  17. Pinky355

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post

I was thinking that myself. I thought I was using a neutral grip when doing power shrugs in the wheel barrow grip postion. ie Palms facing each other.
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    You're correct. Neutral grip is palms facing each other. Pronated grip is what they've been describing, both hands over grip. As for mixed or alternate grip (or switch grip), there's no single technical term for it. I usually just say over-under so there's no confusion.
    Thanks man!
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

I use over over grip
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlift grip
    By itzgambino in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 08:39 AM
  2. deadlift grip
    By bigironkiller in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 12:10 AM
  3. Deadlift Grip: Yay or Nay?
    By rampage jackson in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 07:17 AM
  4. Deadlifting: Mixed grip or regular, palms-down grip?
    By dannyboy9 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
  5. Deadlift grip? Need some help.
    By blahblah192 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 02:01 PM