Rotator cuff problems...

Tiabin

Awards
I noticed recently my shoulder has started popping whenever I do benching, pushups, or pretty much anything that involves my rotator cuff. It's not painful, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that (safe assumption, right?).
I've stopped lifting on my upperbody, but it continues... Went to a chiropractor the other day and after popping my back it effected exactly... dick. My shoulder is the same as it was, and so I haven't gone back to the chiropractor.
What do you guys think? Any specific kind of doctor I should go to?

BMW1600

Awards
I noticed recently my shoulder has started popping whenever I do benching, pushups, or pretty much anything that involves my rotator cuff. It's not painful, but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that (safe assumption, right?).
I've stopped lifting on my upperbody, but it continues... Went to a chiropractor the other day and after popping my back it effected exactly... dick. My shoulder is the same as it was, and so I haven't gone back to the chiropractor.
What do you guys think? Any specific kind of doctor I should go to?
I have struggled with this since I blew both rotator cuffs in college. I am now lifting hard again and am struggling with pain.

You're not at pain yet - which is good - but I suggest you talk to a sports medicine guy ASAP. There are specific strengthening excercises you can do to protect yourself. You don't want to be like me and have shooting pains in your shoulders. It could be nothing, and I hope it is. But no sense in gambling.

I'm taking Naproxen now to control inflammation with mixed results. Good luck.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
I had minor problems as well at one point a few years back. Once I recognized the problem I made sure to warm up the cuffs prior to any pushing movements. Cuff problems gone. Still do at least one warmup on push days to this day.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
care to elaborate on what your warm up excercises are? I'm in the same stages of Tiabin, no pain but slight popping. I had really banged up my rotator cuff last summer but the problem went away with time and no heavy lifting at all for a long time. Im lookin for a way to keep lifting somewhat hard without the time off

Tiabin

Awards
Up until now I've not really had any warmup exercises. I did a few pushups before hand, and then hit the bench (started popping on chest days mostly).

Tahq

Awards
I do a couple simple stretches and quick exercises for the rotator cuff that has help my pain and popping. First off I do 3 stretches: I grab hold of a door frame, arm behind and parallel to the floor and move forward letting the shoulder pull back behind me...do not pull your shoulder forward, let it stretch back. Next I do the same move with my hand grip on the door frame about a foot or so higher than parallel and stretch in the same manner. The final stretch is with arm and grip back at the parallel position on the door frame and I turn my body on axis away from the arm holding the frame.

I do two exercises which are done with light weight in the 5-10 lb range, I would suggest never pushing it past 20lbs. Both exercises are done lying on your side on a bench press with your back and shoulders straight, legs slightly curled and one hand tucked between your thighs for position.

The first exercise I do is to hold a 5-10 lb plate with your free hand, I use a 4 kilo...8.8lb, and hold it in a hanging position across my chest. I raise the plate with a straight arm, palm facing down, to a parallel position, hold for a moment, and then lower for rep.

The second exercise is done in the same body position, but with your elbow resting on your side, I use a rolled up towel between the arm and side for better support/position. The arm is bent at a 90 degree angle, thumb side towards your head, and another 5-10lb plate in hand. I lower the plate, holding the 90 degree bend, to my mid section and then raise it back to the starting position. Always keep your elbow in the same held location, do not raise it or us it to pull the weight.

I do a couple easy 10 range sets of each exercise twice a week and I'm good to go. My shoulder felt an improvement in just a few weeks with less noise and pain. The idea is not to pound the weight, but to strengthen certain muscles in the shoulder that become out off balance to other training exercises.

I would like to thank somebody from some board, both of which I do not recall, for the routine.

TooL

Awards
I found this in my notes, thought it might help.

As with any musculoskeletal issue that requires an evaluation or exercise to clarify uncertainty, if your client is experiencing popping/clicking sounds in their shoulder it is imperative to refer them out to medical professional! Next, the area of the popping/clicking will directly relate to the type of situation your client MAY be experiencing. Since no specific area was noted in the question, we'll briefly review a couples of possible scenarios.

If the popping/clicking is coming from the front of the shoulder, it MAY be movement of the biceps tendon in the intertubecular groove where it sits between the greater and lesser tubercle of the humerus. This can result from a protracted (forward & internally rotated) shoulder that may be caused by a tight Latissimus Dorsi, Pectoralis Major/Minor and Bicep. Performing a proper flexibility protocol for these muscles can allow for proper joint motion and decrease excessive stress on the joint tissues. Until they regain proper flexibility they will not regain proper joint motion.

If the popping/clicking is coming from the top of the shoulder blade around the area of the upper trapezius, it MAY be the result of the Levator Scapula tendon rubbing on the shoulder blade. Proper flexibility of this muscle and the Sternocleidomastoid, Upper Trapezius, Scalenes, Latissiumus Dorsi and Pectoralis muscles MAY help restore proper motion and decrease the noise.

These are only generalizations that MAY be occurring based upon a general question. Please seek medical attention if this does not work!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Definitely look into a sports med doc. My problem is that I "think" I'm stretching enough when in fact I'm just doing the same old routine. Take extra time out of your workout and do different types of deep deeep, painful stretches.

I also recommend deep tissue massage/Rolfing. It loosens up the shoulder girdle and gets things aligned properly

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
care to elaborate on what your warm up excercises are?
#1 - Hold upper arms parallel to floor, forearms at a 90 degree angle. Using a relatively light weight, start with forearms pointed up. Using a controlled tempo lower weight forward until forearms are pointing forward, parallel to floor, only allowing upper arm to rotate @ the shoulder joint while maintaining position parallel to floor. Raise back up to starting position using reverse movement. Repeat about 15 reps.

#2 - Stand next to an adjustable crossover setup. Leaving upper arm opposite pulley next to body, elbow tucked in and forearm @ 90 degree angle, grab forearm height pulley. Leaving elbow tucked in to body, pull handle away from pulley. Back to original position using reverse movement. Repeat about 15 reps.

#3 is the exact opposite from #2, using the arm next to pulley and pulling across the body.

I perform #1 religiously. The other two I slack off on from time to time. Hope that was descriptive enough and helps.

I never had clicking though, only a stinging twinge from time to time that over time reared itself up more frequently.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
thanks guys for those excercises...I'll def be putting them to use

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
So anyone had any success with rotator cuff strengthening exercises for shoulder clicking/popping? I am currently doing Rotattor cuff strengthening and scapula control exercises wich include
Wall pushups with shoulderblades pushed down and in, along with acouple other exercises.
When I do that #1 excercise I put my shoulder blades down and towards each other.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Check that out, he does it so easily, he started doing them for rehab for a shoulder dislocation, and if you read the comments, he just had a major dislocation because his shoulder was too flexible from that exercise.