4 day split - how many sets?

nygreenz92

Awards
hey guys this is my 4 day split im going to start in a bit.

mon-legs
tues-chest,bicep
wed-rest
thursday-shoulder/traps/abs
friday-rest
sat-back/tricep/forearms
sun-rest

Can anyone give me some answers on how many sets i need to do for each workout?
thanks!

yrodin

Awards
I also do a 4 day split, I do 4 sets for every exsercize.

nygreenz92

Awards
sorry, what i meant to ask was how many sets do i do on each day. Meaning for each body part. for ex:
chest+bicep day
12 sets for chest 9 set for bicep - total = 21 sets

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
When you do any pressing movement, your triceps are going to get worked pretty hard, so you have three days where your triceps are going to be doing a lot of work. Why not just work each muscle group twice per week with lower volume? For instance...

Mondays:
Chest - 8-10 sets (x 2 compound movements, isolation exercise optional)
Shoulders - 6-8 sets (x 1 compound movement, x 1 isolation exercise)
Triceps - 4 sets (depending on how I feel I do isolation work or bar dips)
** For chest, I may do some bench presses, then superset incline DB presses with some DB pullovers. After my chest workout, I'll flex and then do a lot of stretching. Then I'll do the same after shoulders and again after triceps. For shoulders, I may do upright rows then side laterals, or maybe Arnold presses followed by rear laterals. Switch it up, but know how much you can do and always push yourself. I usually keep my rep range between 6-10, depending on the exercise and which set I'm on. Do power sets, going as low as 4-6, or even lower sometimes. Keep your higher rep sets for the first set of a compound movement to get a little warmed up (10-12 reps 1st set).

Tuesdays:
Legs - 10-12 sets (x2 compound movements, finish with leg curls)
Back - 50 reps pull-ups then 4 sets of compound rowing movement
Biceps - 4 sets (two different biceps exercises, 2 sets each, switch it up)
** For legs, I'd recommend doing at least two heavy compound movements, such as squats and leg presses, squats and hack squats, squats and lunges, or whatever. I like finishing with leg curls, then I stretch a lot. Always stretch a lot after you work a muscle group. Stay warmed up and flexible.

Wednesday - Off

Thursday:
Shoulders - 8 sets (x 1 compound, x1 isolation, you can superset if you want)
Chest - 8 sets (x1 compound, x 1 isolation, superset if you want)
Triceps - 3-4 sets of dips or an isolation exercise

Friday:
Back - 50 pullups followed by 4 sets of heavy rows, then 3-4 sets of deadlifts (power)
Biceps - 2-4 sets (1 or 2 exercises)
Legs - 8 sets (x1 compound, then some leg curls)

I switch it up, but hopefully you can see where I'm going with this. I've been seeing steady improvements in my physique. Technique is everything!

If you want more info on what I do, just PM me.

I used to work each muscle once per week, but this workout routine has been working better for me. I naturally have a hard time putting on muscle mass, by the way.

Peace

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing 1 body part per day for a long time, and just bored with it.

I was thinking of switching to this kinda split. Its tough to come up with a split that I think to be effective.