A 7 day split

redline2101

Awards
Is there any way I can do a successfully 7 day split, even if it's only for like 8 weeks? I know people say you grow on rest days, however I wasn't sure if thats at complete rest or if it's just the muscle group. Like if I was doing diff muscle groups could I pull it off? Oh and from what iv'e read people say cardio is fine for some of the days, why is that okay but lifting a diff muscle group isn't? Just curious.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
How in the world can you split things up 7 ways without significant overlap?
Any good lifting program will be centered around heavy compound movements. These types of exercises hit a large number of muscle groups, which is why they are so effective. They also require a "full body" effort and thus you need some days to rest and recover. Cardio work requires much lower intensity and effort and thus doesn't interfere with recovery as much.
Many, many people have been successful with 3-4 days per week of lifting, while I know of very, very few who have ever done well with 7 days per week. Stick with the stuff that has been proven to work.

redline2101

Awards
Ok. makes sense. I just wanted some way to lift every day, guess thats not happening.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
You all that energy to make the most of the days you do workout. Also, put as much effort into your diet and recovery as you do your lifting and you can optimize your progress.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Lifting every day isn't the best of ideas. If you're training effectively and efficiently, less can be more. You don't want CNS overload, which would probably happen if you were lifting that much.

I used to lift 5 days per week, but now I lift 4 days per week, hitting each muscle group twice with relatively low volume. Works well.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
What if you did
Sunday: Chest/Shoulder
Monday: Leg
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday (repeat) C/S
Fri Leg
Sat: Back
-With each day following Back as a rest day? Would 2 rest days in between be better?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
if u do any weight on squats and deads no way u will be able to do them back to back days with no rest..esp 4 days a week.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I still don't understand why so many people think more is better. Less is more!

Do lower volumes and go for maximum intensity! Allow for sufficient rest days in between. A lot of things are trail and error, but even if you have good genetics, 5 days is the most you'd want to do in a week. I do resistance training four days per week hitting each body part twice with low volumes.

If you do such high volumes, it may feel okay for a week or so, but afterward you're going to be feeling the ill effects: muscle fatigue, sleep problems, increasingly weaker, ect..