Thinking of using this workout

USOC

Awards
Well, since my return to training a few months ago (I took about 7 years off :rolleyes: ) I have been having issues with overtraining and straining muscles/tendons all over the place. Something had to give as I was making no progress and losing no weight. Two weeks ago I jumped into CKD and stopped working out to rest (and heal). I've lost 17 lbs already and will be heading back to the gym on monday with the program below. I'll be starting light (to get my form down pat and to keep from hurting myself again) My biggest goal it to get down to 200 (from current 243 at 5'11") and I think that this will help me get back in the groove and build a strong core for when I begin to move into a split routine. Take a look and tell me what you think.

I will be adding 2 min a week cardio to each session (working up to 50 for day 1 and 40 for day 3 and 5). I will also be doing 3sets of 20 reps each, adding weight and progessing down to 8 reps at much higher weights.

Day 1
Cardio 30 min
Abs

Day 2
Dumbell Bench
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Cable Pull Downs
CAble Rows
Squats
Deadlifts

Day 3
Cardio 20 min
Abs

Day 4
Dumbell Bench
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Cable Pull Downs
CAble Rows
Squats
Deadlifts

Day 5

Cardio 20 min
Abs

Day 6 and 7
Rest

I've got several friends that have used this same outline in their programs and were able to get very good results whether they were like me (fat and out of shape) or already dedicated lifters, so I guess I'll give it a go.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am not much of a fan of full body workouts simply because for MOST people the are so draining from a CNS and overall metabolic standpoint that recovery takes as long as it would when doing a split. With only one day rest you will probably not recover and find yourself stuck very quickly. When doing a full body workout start with at LEAST 2 (preferably 3 days or longer) days rest, and if you are not progressive on all your lifts, keep inserting rest days until all lifts show progress every workout. I was recently on vacation and opted to do a simple full body routine to save time, and like every time I do them, I ended up TOTALLY beat to hell and it was 6 full days until I wasn't sore. I usually am only sore for about three days. For all the problems associated with full body routines they can work well until you are a low-intermediate level trainee.

I would also suggest if you must both squat and do regular deads on the same day that you only do one work set of each, or better yet do squats and stiff legged deads, or leg presses and regular deads.

Iron Addict

2gcorey

Awards
  • Established
trust him on the squat/dead thing...i didn't do what iron addict said here and am now doing a leg press/dead routine. i hurt my back pretty bad overdoing my sets on squats/deads! and i only did 2 working sets of deads after one 20rep squat

USOC

Awards
I am not much of a fan of full body workouts simply because for MOST people the are so draining from a CNS and overall metabolic standpoint that recovery takes as long as it would when doing a split. With only one day rest you will probably not recover and find yourself stuck very quickly. When doing a full body workout start with at LEAST 2 (preferably 3 days or longer) days rest, and if you are not progressive on all your lifts, keep inserting rest days until all lifts show progress every workout. I was recently on vacation and opted to do a simple full body routine to save time, and like every time I do them, I ended up TOTALLY beat to hell and it was 6 full days until I wasn't sore. I usually am only sore for about three days. For all the problems associated with full body routines they can work well until you are a low-intermediate level trainee.

I would also suggest if you must both squat and do regular deads on the same day that you only do one work set of each, or better yet do squats and stiff legged deads, or leg presses and regular deads.

Iron Addict

Well, I'll have to take take what you're saying under heavy consideration. (From what I've read while skulking around here the last couple of months, if anyone knows what they are talking about, it you IA). My problem lies in that I've had such a long layoff that its like I never trained before at all. I was hoping that a full body workout with high reps and very low weights would get me conditioned a little better for a better designed/more specific split. I had considered a push/pull split on day 1 and 2, cardio on day 3 and 4, a full body workout on day 5 and then 2 days rest. With that set up I was missing the 3rd cardio workout which I feel that I really need. Or I could do push/pull split on day 1 and 2, rest day 3, push/pull again 4 and 5 but then when would I do my cardio? See...now I'm all confused as to what I should do! Thanks for getting me thinking, thats all I needed! ;)