l4/l5 herniation

Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.96%

l4/l5 herniation

after a herniation and the fluid inside the disk breaks thru the disk barrier, where does the fluid go? will it eventually go away, or will you have to have it drained? ive been taking glucosamine/chondrotin/MSM and cissus RX(6pills/day) for over two months to help the healing and my back feels fine but i was wondering what is going on inside the disk area. should i go for another MRI, or what??

Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.96%

Gabapentin acts on the GABA receptors and is used for seizures and nerve pain. How would this effect muscle strength(contraction etc.), protein synthesis and pretty much anything to do with my goals of strength training? I have a herniated disk and doctor might put me on this, just wanted to check it out first....
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

The fluid will be absorbed after some time. I would avoid the meds. do to the fact that they will make the healing time longer. Try a tens unit for the pain. Mobilization of the spine is the most well researched treatment option. See a chiropractor, or a PT.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.27%

definitely go to the chiropractor, I work for one doing therapys and coordinating our wellness programs.. we just got a decompression table that actually pulls your spine, and sucks that fluid back in.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I ended up geting 2 spinal injections to relieve the pain I was experiencing after tearing my L4/L5 disk. Supposedly it will never fully heal, but I was getting pressure on the syatic nerve that was making my entire left leg and ass hurt constantly. I am finally better after 3-4 months of pain.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.27%

Quote Originally Posted by Silver3CSRT8 View Post
    I ended up geting 2 spinal injections to relieve the pain I was experiencing after tearing my L4/L5 disk. Supposedly it will never fully heal, but I was getting pressure on the syatic nerve that was making my entire left leg and ass hurt constantly. I am finally better after 3-4 months of pain.
    we get people with sciatic nerve problems all the time at my office, we adjust them and I am always doing therapy on them, usually muscle stimulation and deep high volt... we can get you better from that in about a month or so, drug free!
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

The recovery time always depends on the severity. The disc can not actually put pressure on the sciatic nerve. It puts pressure on the nerve roots of the plexus, but not actually the nerve (to be technical). The injections are actually a fairly poor treatment and can cause severe side effects. I would make sure you pay attention to that before having it done again. The British Journal Of Medicine recommended chiropractic manipulation as the primary treatment for low back pain.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    we get people with sciatic nerve problems all the time at my office, we adjust them and I am always doing therapy on them, usually muscle stimulation and deep high volt... we can get you better from that in about a month or so, drug free!
    Hell yeah man, this sh*t worked wonders for me. I love that feeling, always walk out feeling full of energy
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Mick81 View Post
    Hell yeah man, this sh*t worked wonders for me. I love that feeling, always walk out feeling full of energy
    I have a l4/l5 buldging disc and a l5/s1 herniation. I have been dealing with this injury for just over a year, I have had 2 epidural injections. Chiro did nothing for me, Naproxen, ice packs, and mckenzy stretches have been my best friend. Avoid sitting at all cost and get a good Physical therapist let me know if you have any questions
    Stats
    6'4"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.96%

thanks for the info guys. really have been wanting to do the decompression therapy.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

Quote Originally Posted by Link24 View Post
    Naproxen, ice packs, and mckenzy stretches have been my best friend.
    A good chiropractor would have had you doing all three of those listed. We do it everyday.
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.62%

Quote Originally Posted by DrMorris View Post
    A good chiropractor would have had you doing all three of those listed. We do it everyday.
    That's great, however, some can't wait to shuffle through 100 chiro's just to find one...

Moreover, I did not get anything of substance from the chiropractor that I was seeing. The decompression table they used was the drx version and it was decent, at best. I started using Grunt's protocol about 3 weeks ago and have had WAY BETTER success for my injury than 3-4 months of trial and error. His method, along with PT, has been my stellar road to recovery, but still a ways to go.

I originally injured mine about 8 years ago, stopped doing deads and heavy squats for 13 months, and the pain went away. So, i started lifting heavy again, and, actually, went 2 years with very heavy lifting and no pain. Just one day in January, I started having pain again. This time not as severe but constant (the first time 8 years ago, I could not move both my legs for 45 minutes the pain was so intense, and broke me out in a watery sweat)

The disk, from research, never FULLY HEAL, but the fluid can be sucked back in enough, along with core strengthening, to get you back to lifting serious weights.
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.62%

Quote Originally Posted by DrMorris View Post
    Wouldn't the type of stretches depend solely on the direction of the herniation? bi, uni, etc?
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.66%

Not solely. Clinical picture is bigger then that.