rep scheme

1. Registered User
    Answers

rep scheme

hey guys,
    so i know the typical amount of reps suggested range from 8-14 generally. but lately i wanted to throw in something really different. So i do a 20 rep then heavier 8-10 reps, i repeat this 2-3 times for a set. yes, i know this may seem a lil much but has anyone done anything like this before? if so how was your progress? thanks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  163 lbs.
    Answers

I am on a cut. I keep My Reps no less than 10 + . I usually never go as high as 15 on some workouts though. I do 3-4 sets typically.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Mix your reps up if you want.

With a scheme like 5 x 5, if someone tells you you won't gain hypertrophy they're lying. I've gained all my mass using 4-6 reps. The problem with 3 x 5 is; however, that your hypertrophy gains will plateau before your strength gains. Same philosophy with 3 x 10, except the concept is reversed, your strength will plateau before your hypertrophy gains, and at this point it's extremely difficult to get bigger without adding weight to the bar.

Bodybuilders swear by 8-15 reps, but do you think 3 sets of 10 made them big or 3 sets of 10 with the 225 pounds they're working out with? I'd say both. But there's nothing magical about 10 reps, I can do 10 reps with the bar with perfect form and nothing happens, I needweight on the bar to grow and I think most bodybuilders try not to give appropriate credit to their strength.

Gaining hypertrophy is more in the diet than reps.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I don't stick to JUST one rep range when I work out. On compound lifts I'll usually start off with a relatively higher rep range, like 8-10 for the first set or two, then increasing the weight and doing something like 6-8, then further increasing the weight until maybe I'm only repping 4-5 times on my last set. On isolation work, I usually keep it to 8-10, sometimes going heavy but usually no less than 6 reps ever. Switch it up, play it by feel once you've got some experience and find out what you respond to.

Also, when you're on a cut, your muscles are more inclined to shrink, so it's really good practice to throw in some heavy training to keep them working. A lot of people have the idea that high rep training is best for toning. Tone and definition come from having muscle and low body fat, not from high rep training specifically. Make sure your protein intake is high (at least 1.25 x bodyweight).
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I don't stick to JUST one rep range when I work out. On compound lifts I'll usually start off with a relatively higher rep range, like 8-10 for the first set or two, then increasing the weight and doing something like 6-8, then further increasing the weight until maybe I'm only repping 4-5 times on my last set. On isolation work, I usually keep it to 8-10, sometimes going heavy but usually no less than 6 reps ever. Switch it up, play it by feel once you've got some experience and find out what you respond to.
    Yeah, that's called pyramiding.

Also, when you're on a cut, your muscles are more inclined to shrink, so it's really good practice to throw in some heavy training to keep them working. A lot of people have the idea that high rep training is best for toning. Tone and definition come from having muscle and low body fat, not from high rep training specifically. Make sure your protein intake is high (at least 1.25 x bodyweight).
    x2
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Here's something a little out of the norm. I once had to recover from a surgery and could only lift smaller weights... So needless to say I repped the **** out of em and somehow gained size and some strength. It really helped strengthen my joints and improve my form. Anyways, when I go really heavy I see some good gains (muscle mass/strength), but it eventually stalls and i drop the weight way down and do ALOT of reps. It seems to help when I'm stuck/injured. Here's a sample flat bench workout I throw in sometimes -
    145 x 40
    155 x 30
    165 x 20
    175 x 10
    185 x 8-10

Sometimes I'll have a more drastic pyramid and end with a heavier weight for about 4 reps. Anyways this seem to work pretty well for me, just an idea. I'll do this for a few weeks and go back to heavier, I guess it just shocks the muscles and it's kinda like hitting the reset button on my workouts.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by blizerp View Post
    145 x 40
    155 x 30
    165 x 20
    175 x 10
    185 x 8-10
    If those lifts are legit that's highly impressive. I'd love to see a video of 145 pounds for 40 reps, though.

You realize that scheme is geared more towards a high endurance workout, right? There's really not enough dynamic effort in for more than a significant pump.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

I got the idea from watchin guys come out of prison with huge upper bodies from doing pushups all day. Same kind of idea, and yes lots of indurance - that's a good thing tho, I find the strength gained is more of a functional strength. I didn't think I was gonna blow anyone away repping 145's but if you say so. I saw a video of a guy repping 250ish for 50! Now thats impressive. I also do incline d/b press in a 4 set heavy pyramid up scheme and some other stuff. I try to finish with 7's on flys for a good pump. I try to get a little of everything I guess.. The pump, indurance, and strength via heavier db press.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by blizerp View Post
    I got the idea from watchin guys come out of prison with huge upper bodies from doing pushups all day. Same kind of idea, and yes lots of indurance - that's a good thing tho, I find the strength gained is more of a functional strength. I didn't think I was gonna blow anyone away repping 145's but if you say so. I saw a video of a guy repping 250ish for 50! Now thats impressive. I also do incline d/b press in a 4 set heavy pyramid up scheme and some other stuff. I try to finish with 7's on flys for a good pump. I try to get a little of everything I guess.. The pump, indurance, and strength via heavier db press.
    50 reps with 225 is insane, it's about equivalent to a 500 pound 1RM.

Ronnie Coleman (Mr. Universe) only did 49 reps with 225.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  270 lbs.
    Answers

high rep. sets are brutal if done right. i throw in 100 rep. drop sets every so often to shock my legs and it is brutal. i'll be sore for 3-4 days.. i'm talking gasping for air, controlled reps, the pump is like nothing else, and will help push you through plateaus. throw some high rep. workouts in every once in awhile to take the intensity up a notch. can be done on cutting, bulking cycles and everywhere in between...
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by swollwilliams View Post
    high rep. sets are brutal if done right. i throw in 100 rep. drop sets every so often to shock my legs and it is brutal. i'll be sore for 3-4 days.. i'm talking gasping for air, controlled reps, the pump is like nothing else, and will help push you through plateaus. throw some high rep. workouts in every once in awhile to take the intensity up a notch. can be done on cutting, bulking cycles and everywhere in between...
    i see matt kroczaleski do these as well. 225 lb dumbell rows for 30 reps, insane.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    Mix your reps up if you want.

With a scheme like 5 x 5, if someone tells you you won't gain hypertrophy they're lying. I've gained all my mass using 4-6 reps. The problem with 3 x 5 is; however, that your hypertrophy gains will plateau before your strength gains. Same philosophy with 3 x 10, except the concept is reversed, your strength will plateau before your hypertrophy gains, and at this point it's extremely difficult to get bigger without adding weight to the bar.

Bodybuilders swear by 8-15 reps, but do you think 3 sets of 10 made them big or 3 sets of 10 with the 225 pounds they're working out with? I'd say both. But there's nothing magical about 10 reps, I can do 10 reps with the bar with perfect form and nothing happens, I needweight on the bar to grow and I think most bodybuilders try not to give appropriate credit to their strength.

Gaining hypertrophy is more in the diet than reps.
    agreed. another thing i see a lot of people do is cramm way too many exercises in a routine. all you have to do is pick 4 or 5 exercises a day and keep em at high intensity or high volume and you will grow.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Alpha T2 dosage scheme....
    By jshin in forum PES
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 06:49 PM
  2. 1-test cyp/4-ad cyp pinning scheme
    By Bas4Lizzife in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 07:09 PM
  3. 4AD cyp pinning scheme
    By tbonz169 in forum Anabolics