Squats - all the way down!

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.54%

Squats - all the way down!

I finally quit being a big wimp and started on full squats this week--going all the way down--ass to ankles.

Wow....big difference. I used a much lighter weight than I'm accustomed to with just going down to parallel and it still kicked my ass!

I've had jello legs all week.

Much harder!

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.31%

More isn't better; better is better. I emply both full and parallel (as well as those a touch over parallel) squats. I am a big fan of full squats, but think the important thing is that you put a heavy bar on your back and go deep. I really like using both to mix it up. Especially if I have some minor injury (besides knees) then doing the full squats lets me use lighter weight for a bit. All good tools.
  3. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.79%

It depends on your goals. If your looking to improve olympic lifts such as the clean & jerk and snatch, doing full squats will be beneficial (you're joints in good health of course). Otherwise, parallel squats are ideal.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.64%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I cant do full squats, I think it's just my physiology. When I go deep my back rounds and and my heels lift. I cant stop it.....any suggestions to keep this from happening
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.01%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by thaOrleanyte View Post
    I cant do full squats, I think it's just my physiology. When I go deep my back rounds and and my heels lift. I cant stop it.....any suggestions to keep this from happening
    What is your head positioning during the descent? I.e., is it pointing upwards, downwards, or parallel? Are your neck and traps taut, or loose? The spine goes where the head takes it, and it is the very first thing which will throw your entire form off; it is also the last thing most people consider..
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.37%
    Achievements Posting Pro

also mentioning physiology
    the longer your femur the harder it will be to do full squats because it displaces your weight further back the lower you go
    one of my kiniesatrics teachers was mentioning proportions of ankle to knee length and knee to hipjoint length.. if the knee to hip section of your leg is longer then the deeper squats will be much harder
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.18%

think of it this way 1/2 way down 1/2 the results all the way down=fully developed monster quads. Ever since i started going parrallel i have seen amazing gains in leg development. Its rough but you gotta do it
  8. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.84%

hey guys, to learn low bar squats search "mark rippetoe squat"
    do a 5x5 routine and see how fast your whole body grows doing low bar squats below parallel. I love it and it's the single best thing i've ever done to step up my training.
  9. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by cable626 View Post
    hey guys, to learn low bar squats search "mark rippetoe squat"
    do a 5x5 routine and see how fast your whole body grows doing low bar squats below parallel. I love it and it's the single best thing i've ever done to step up my training.
    Just did 8x8 of low squats today, and they are amazing. You'll never go back to knee bends
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rah22491 View Post
    think of it this way 1/2 way down 1/2 the results all the way down=fully developed monster quads. Ever since i started going parrallel i have seen amazing gains in leg development. Its rough but you gotta do it
    parallel is halfway down. So your getting half the results? Or your doin full ass to ankles? Im confused. I go until my hip crease goes below my knee joint.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.24%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Some people are not built to do full ATG squats, but SMR/Foam Rolling can make a huge difference in your flexibility.
  12. UKStrength

I have this problem, I tried for years with different foot placements and core stability work thinking it was just a 'weak core' that was preventing me getting lower in my squat.

Turns out my femurs are actually longer than most peoples'...

Solution...?

Bought a pair of olympic lifting shoes, ATG squats are no problem now

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.37%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    Turns out my femurs are actually longer than most peoples'...

thats what ive been sayin.. glad to hear a second
    ill have to check out the shoes ... my lifting shoes are POS
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
  14. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.84%

Quote Originally Posted by dedlifter1 View Post
    I go until my hip crease goes below my knee joint.
    +1
  15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.84%

Quote Originally Posted by smshannon001 View Post
    I have a pair of rogue weightlifting shoes, the new black ones, but I feel the heel is too high for me and it makes my knees drift too far forward.
    I feel most comfortable in good old chuck taylors.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.92%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I try to stick with typical cross trainers, relatively flat soles. I cant always get down to A2G, however parallel is usually sufficient for most
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  17. n87
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.25%

I heard that you need to do them in front of the mirror. The main point is to be able to see your own sphincter in the reflection, that would constitute the "full" squat.
  18. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.79%

Quote Originally Posted by Rah22491 View Post
    The further you go passed parallel, the less force your skeletal muscles are producing due to a reduction in myosin crossbridges. This has no added benefit for hypertrophy, but does cause a stronger binding state of actin to the myosin heads at those particular ranges of motion (with training of course). Which, like I stated before, aids tremendously for olympic lifters.
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.64%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I do have long upper legs....skinny short lower...haha

I think is a flexibility issue also. I'm not rigid at all really, but being that im mostly torso and long femurs, getting ~5-10 below parallel is the lowest for me. I have to sit back more, and its alot easier with lighter weight.... below parralel for me (real heavy) throws off my force generation cause im trying to keep my back from rounding...or going into a good morning

sooo and I focused on keepin strict form today with some light squats. I find that if I focus more on where my hips are going, it helps me get below parallel and drive out of the bottom. Better hip drive kept me in tempo, less bending over slightly during lift.
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  20. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by smshannon001 View Post
    Yeah they're pretty awesome mate. They're not cheap unfortunately but are a decent investment if you think you'll be squatting for many years to come and might save you an injury or two.

Quote Originally Posted by cable626 View Post
    I have a pair of rogue weightlifting shoes, the new black ones, but I feel the heel is too high for me and it makes my knees drift too far forward.
    I feel most comfortable in good old chuck taylors.
    I still love my chucks and would never deadlift in anything else but these make squatting a breeze Maybe try what I did for a while (before I could afford the shoes) and just elevate your heels slightly by resting them on some 1.25kg plates?

Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I try to stick with typical cross trainers, relatively flat soles. I cant always get down to A2G, however parallel is usually sufficient for most
    Cross trainers were the WORST thing that ever happened to any sort of resistance training. Some people swear by them, but I've had more injuries in them than I dare think about. Chucks, proper shoes or even bare feet for me!

I do have long upper legs....skinny short lower...haha

I think is a flexibility issue also. I'm not rigid at all really, but being that im mostly torso and long femurs, getting ~5-10 below parallel is the lowest for me. I have to sit back more, and its alot easier with lighter weight.... below parralel for me (real heavy) throws off my force generation cause im trying to keep my back from rounding...or going into a good morning

sooo and I focused on keepin strict form today with some light squats. I find that if I focus more on where my hips are going, it helps me get below parallel and drive out of the bottom. Better hip drive kept me in tempo, less bending over slightly during lift.
    That certainly helped me for a while and did make my squat a little deeper. As soon as I added weight though the strain shifted off the leg muscle groups and predominantly onto my hip flexors (not good).

It wasn't a flexibility issue either, I can do a box and front split and my dynamic flexibility is also very good (axe kicks etc.). All I'd say is listen to your body and ignore any idiots who try to convince you it's your technique/flexibility/core stability.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.64%
    Achievements Posting Pro

thanks....im gonna squat how i squat regardless.....but learning correct technique and what not is always usefull
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%

chucks are the way to go. Ive been doin alot of box squatting lately.
  23. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.81%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Stretch your hip flexors and calves a lot.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  224 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.37%
    Achievements Posting Pro

did these tonight
    tomorrow is gonna be...fun
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.44%

I am not made to squat, i worked hard on it for years and was an average squatter at best. I have flexibility issues and have leverage issues i assume due to my leg length. Squatting in powerlifting gear actually made it a little easier because i could go wide. Now i have an injury in one of my legs and may need surgery after i get married in Sept. I don't think i have ever been able to go ass to ankles in my life.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.73%

Check out Squat RX. There's 26 videos in this playlist to help your squat out!

YouTube - Squat Rx #1
  27. UKStrength

Good site that mate ^^^ I watched all the videos a while ago and it improved my squat technique dramatically.
  28. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.54%

I'm 6'2" and all legs! I'm now on my second week of doing them since starting this thread. Last week was rough! I'm doing the strong lifts 5X5 routine where you squat 3 times per week. On Wednesday of last week I wasn't able to even look at a squat rack so I just substituted some leg presses. Friday I did the full 5X5 again with the full squats and felt better.

Yesterday I increased the weight by 20 pounds and was able to hammer through them, but I'm definitely feeling it today.

Someone on here mentioned that there is no hypertrophy benefit to full squats? Why do programs like strong lifts and Ripptoe recommend them?
  29. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by paradigmer View Post
    I'm 6'2" and all legs! I'm now on my second week of doing them since starting this thread. Last week was rough! I'm doing the strong lifts 5X5 routine where you squat 3 times per week. On Wednesday of last week I wasn't able to even look at a squat rack so I just substituted some leg presses. Friday I did the full 5X5 again with the full squats and felt better.

Yesterday I increased the weight by 20 pounds and was able to hammer through them, but I'm definitely feeling it today.

Someone on here mentioned that there is no hypertrophy benefit to full squats? Why do programs like strong lifts and Ripptoe recommend them?

im gonna have to disagree with that. I believe form and tempo matter the most, then ROM. The further down the better.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92%

I had this same problem, I started training hamstrings before I squat and now I go all the way down. Huge difference, I've had people compliment me on my form recently where as before I looked like I was doing quarter squats.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    im gonna have to disagree with that. I believe form and tempo matter the most, then ROM. The further down the better.
    Although, full squats are my favorite, I also believe that a closer stance, and just below parallel deff activates hypertrophy on my quads more.
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by dedlifter1 View Post
    Although, full squats are my favorite, I also believe that a closer stance, and just below parallel deff activates hypertrophy on my quads more.
    I think there is a sweet spot for everyone. Finding it safely is the key.

When your in it, you know it.

During the ROM my whole leg feels it, quads, hams, glutes, calves ..........

Slower tempo is what does it for me, that and statics at parallel.........Fun stuff.

Props to anyone doing squats period.

Kudos gentlemen.
  33. UKStrength

Kudos gentlemen.
    Squats for life mate, the 'King' of exercises in my book.
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.11%

I think there is a sweet spot for everyone. Finding it safely is the key.

When your in it, you know it.

During the ROM my whole leg feels it, quads, hams, glutes, calves ..........

Slower tempo is what does it for me, that and statics at parallel.........Fun stuff.

Kudos gentlemen.
    Thats exactly right.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squats vs. Hack Squats
    By gunzblazin1x in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
  2. Parallel Squats versus Ass-to-grass squats
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM
  3. Barbell hack squats vs. machine hack squats
    By islandmagic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
  4. Squats!!!
    By Flex87 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 01:45 AM
  5. 20 Rep Squats, who's still doing them?
    By max silver in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 02:38 AM