Bleeding shins on deadlift...anybody else have this problem?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.8%

Bleeding shins on deadlift...anybody else have this problem?

alright so, hopefully im not the only one with this issue and i dont sound too much like a retard, but when i deadlift i treat my form very serious...as a result, the bar stays against my shins and thighs throughout the movement to maintain posture and prevent back-arching

as a result though, my shins frequently start bleeding throughout my sets , and its just really annoying...its gotten to the point where i bring bandages and gauzes to the gym to put on after a few sets...long pants dont help either, i just have blood stains on my pants now lol

anyway, its really not a big deal i guess, just wanted to see if any other of you guys have this issue and how you deal with it...debating wearing long pants and high tube socks

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%

i'd wear sweat pants when i was doing DL's, or use a barbell where the gnarling is worn smoother. i recently changed my form a bit to focus tension on the lats a bit more so i no longer have this problem.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.8%

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    i'd wear sweat pants when i was doing DL's, or use a barbell where the gnarling is worn smoother. i recently changed my form a bit to focus tension on the lats a bit more so i no longer have this problem.
    wider grip? ive made that adjustment- keeping ur hands just inside the rings on the barbell, alot of people keep their hands just outside the smoothe part of the bar in the middle, i dislike how my hands touch my knees when i pull the bar up in the movement & in that case the drag against the shins is even worse

im gona try wearing thicker sweatpants, let me know if u adjusted ur form differently from what i described
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.61%

i bend at my lower back just before my decent...this is done by starting from off the rack rather than the floor. i basically use less quad from the off the floor so it requires me to use more back. its kinda hard to explain but reduce the weight and focus on not hitting your shins and you will see what i am talking about! the wider grip is where i started though, good move.

my dead lift is at its highest now and i no longer hit my shins!!!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.01%

How bout some shin pads?

It'll make you popular at your gym.

"Damn, that guy with the shin pads is hardcore"
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.27%

i have the same problem and I always forget that it happens until it's too late. It makes me feel weird because I don't notice it until much later in my workouts too so I'm always walking around with a bloody left shin. Oddly no one says anything to me about it.

I tried sumo deadlifts the other day and I didn't have a problem at all so I might switch to sumo for awhile.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

you can buy socks made for deadlifting... at most powerlifting competitions they are mandatory so you don't bleed on the bar. Look into them
    SFW and GFH
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.27%
    SFW and GFH
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.8%

thanks for the responses, ill prob just pick up a pair eventually, i wonder if regular tube socks/sweats will do the trick, will let u know

i find it somewhat funny i have to arrange and fix a sort of playsuit for :dl:
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Baby Powder!

Just throw some Baby powder on your shins before you DL and that will greatly cut down on the amount of scrapping you get. Also if you open your toes up and push your knees out to the sides you will not only prevent ripping up your shins, but your also going to activate your glutes better for the pull.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  285 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.54%

Quote Originally Posted by 17amethyl View Post
    alright so, hopefully im not the only one with this issue and i dont sound too much like a retard, but when i deadlift i treat my form very serious...as a result, the bar stays against my shins and thighs throughout the movement to maintain posture and prevent back-arching

as a result though, my shins frequently start bleeding throughout my sets , and its just really annoying...its gotten to the point where i bring bandages and gauzes to the gym to put on after a few sets...long pants dont help either, i just have blood stains on my pants now lol

anyway, its really not a big deal i guess, just wanted to see if any other of you guys have this issue and how you deal with it...debating wearing long pants and high tube socks
    Usually what is causing this is your form. You are starting your pull on the toes and then having to pull the weight back to the center line of the body which causes the bar to hit the shins and scrape them. Start with the bar as close to the shin as you can and make sure you have most of your weight on the back and outer 1/3 of the foot. Pull the bar straight up the shin while sitting back on the heels.

Also try putting some baby powder on the shins and thighs to cut any friction.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  216 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.86%

Be carefull becasue I had the same problem and got an infection in one the scrapes i got from the bar. I know longer hit my shins but I d do not know what I did. I believe it just altered subconsciously.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.8%

Quote Originally Posted by ILiftBig View Post
    Usually what is causing this is your form. You are starting your pull on the toes and then having to pull the weight back to the center line of the body which causes the bar to hit the shins and scrape them. Start with the bar as close to the shin as you can and make sure you have most of your weight on the back and outer 1/3 of the foot. Pull the bar straight up the shin while sitting back on the heels.

Also try putting some baby powder on the shins and thighs to cut any friction.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Baby Powder!

Just throw some Baby powder on your shins before you DL and that will greatly cut down on the amount of scrapping you get. Also if you open your toes up and push your knees out to the sides you will not only prevent ripping up your shins, but your also going to activate your glutes better for the pull.
    respec', i have back in a few days, will take this advice in mind and let u guys know if theres improvements or if im just covered in applesauce
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.82%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Socks, gym pants, blah blah

or

just man up
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.8%

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Socks, gym pants, blah blah

or

just man up
    thanks, i said it really wasnt a big deal to begin with, but i was just curious to see how other people delt with it/if they had the same issue
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.24%

I would totally wear sweats. **** having some bleeding shins!
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.05%

i forgot i was dling one day and i wore bball shorts to the gym. i tore my shins up. ive worn pants ever since, i get a lil red but no broken skin.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.45%

I always dl in shorts...I do get small scrapes on my shins, but never tore them open to the point of bleeding. What on earth are you guys doing to yourselves?
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.83%

I saw some old guy once wearing duct tape vertically up and down his shins. Looks funny, but no more bar rashes.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.79%

Yeah, I used to bleed all the time, but not too much. Just a nip here and there. But to be honest, I feel beastly when I finish deadlifting 500 lbs and bleeding

Just switch to a bar where the grids on the gripping have been smoothed down from years of use lol.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.52%

I have this problem as well, i managed to fix it by a wider grip and standing a little wider, but occasionally i hit my shins still. I don't even notice i hit my shins until i notice they're bleeding cause im so pumped when i do deadlifts lol. And i also agree with hitsquaddd, makes me feel beastly when im slamming weights and bleeding .
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

you could just wrap the parts of the bar that are touching your legs with towels
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.45%

karma is a beeeiotch...sure enough last night when deadlifting, I look down to find a river of blood running down my leg. Oh well...
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.59%

You guys didn't get the memo??? Guys who do deadlift are too tough to bleed!

Chalk your shins, high socks, long pants, ace bandage your shins, tons of other things to do as well.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.3%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

hmm idk i was told my forms pretty good but i keep them from scraping against my legs but do drag it up my shins and quads

shave ur legs that should help
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.27%

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    hmm idk i was told my forms pretty good but i keep them from scraping against my legs but do drag it up my shins and quads

or.... buy high socks.... much less of a hassle....
    SFW and GFH
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post

i'd rather not shave my legs.

i'm proud of my natural pelt.

i'll deal with the scrapes i don't really give a cr*P:dl:
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.8%

wow...didnt think my thread was still alive...

well, hightop socks chalked on the shins helps plenty, i'll still get some blood here and there, but very minor

i dont want to sound like a jack@ss, but my form is decent i'll say...i've always loved & respected the exercise enough to take whatever steps necessary to improve but never underestimate the toll bad form can take on ur body

just hit 505 for 1 rep recently, proud of that...and no bleeding

i guess i came off as a puss, but i've been sucking it up for years...i just felt it was time to see how other people deal with it...just seems i have these very minor scabs on my shins that never fully recover, and the slightest brush of the bar with a decent amount of weight takes em right off, and those little fckers bleed a suprising amount
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 17amethyl View Post
    wow...didnt think my thread was still alive...

well, hightop socks chalked on the shins helps plenty, i'll still get some blood here and there, but very minor

i dont want to sound like a jack@ss, but my form is decent i'll say...i've always loved & respected the exercise enough to take whatever steps necessary to improve but never underestimate the toll bad form can take on ur body

just hit 505 for 1 rep recently, proud of that...and no bleeding

i guess i came off as a puss, but i've been sucking it up for years...i just felt it was time to see how other people deal with it...just seems i have these very minor scabs on my shins that never fully recover, and the slightest brush of the bar with a decent amount of weight takes em right off, and those little fckers bleed a suprising amount

haha dude i'm not sure but i've always been taught to drag the weights all the up against your legs for proper form.

i think if you're bleedin ur doing it right.

takes a tough mother to stand there and keep pullin with blood rolling down your shins, your muscles screamin at ya to quit, sweat pourin down makin it hard to hold onto the bar...

but that's what makes us body builders. it's what seperates us from the pansy asses who're in there staring at themselves inthe mirror doing curls 6 days a week dreamin of all the tang they'll get at the beach. screw them. i
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.8%

Quote Originally Posted by natty texan View Post
    haha dude i'm not sure but i've always been taught to drag the weights all the up against your legs for proper form.

i think if you're bleedin ur doing it right.

takes a tough mother to stand there and keep pullin with blood rolling down your shins, your muscles screamin at ya to quit, sweat pourin down makin it hard to hold onto the bar...

but that's what makes us body builders. it's what seperates us from the pansy asses who're in there staring at themselves inthe mirror doing curls 6 days a week dreamin of all the tang they'll get at the beach. screw them. i
    amen & rep to that...couldn't describe that better
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.52%
    Achievements Posting Pro

bleedin= sooper bad assness
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.5%

Regardless of the scrapes, try sumos for a month or so. Its a different exercise all together. And its not as hard on your spine. I switch up every six weeks or so and gain progressively on both forms.
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.53%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus977 View Post
    Regardless of the scrapes, try sumos for a month or so. Its a different exercise all together. And its not as hard on your spine. I switch up every six weeks or so and gain progressively on both forms.
    i like sumo, i feel like it hits my inner leg muscles more than anything.

i'm actually going to do sumo next workout...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Frustrating Deadlift Problem
    By Redoubt in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM
  2. who rolls their shins
    By mixedup in forum MMA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 08:57 AM
  3. bleeding while on h-drol
    By bbcr11 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12