Questions regarding a low heartrate and exercise.

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.12%

Questions regarding a low heartrate and exercise.

I have been an endurance athlete my entire life. I have competed in several marathons and triathlons when younger, before switching to combat sports. Until recently, I have never worn a heartrate monitor while exercising so I had no idea that my RHR is extremely low and my HR during exercise is quite low as well. I have some questions regarding heartrate and exercise if you guys could help.

My resting heartrate is roughly 35, my blood pressure is extremely low, and even at a fairly high perceived effort my heartrate stays rather low. For example, if I am relaxed and running at about a 4 minute/kilometer pace my heartrate will hover around 100, even after about an hour of running. In order to get it to 130 or higher I basically have to be running uphill or doing interval sprints. If I am nervous in competition it can get up to about 175.

I am a bit concerned about this despite my fitness level. Is there any disease that can this may be a symptom of? My doctor simply said "thank your parents, you have fantastic genetics for endurance activity" but she is rather dismissive when it comes to problems since I am a young male. Does anyone have any advice to offer me, or perhaps a test I can ask for that will give me some piece of mind?

Thanks very much for reading.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

there was a guy i remember that had this condition. he was a record holder for free diving, and did a documentary on the discovery channel - free diving with tiger sharks. basically, his heartrate was so low, he was able to hold his breath underwater for about three minutes. i can't remember what his condition was called, but i'd bet if you did some research on this you could find it. i don't recall him having any adverse reactions or problems with his condition though. my heart rate is around 54 resting, which is pretty low, but not as low as yours. the guy that was on that episode had a resting heart rate of 40, which is more closer to you. i'd be afraid to diagnose you with anything, or even suggest such. if you're having fainting issues, chest pain, feeling tired or dizzy, etc, then its something to worry about. if not, you're going to outlive all of us.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

update. his name is Mark Addison, and can hold his breath for up to 6 minutes....
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.85%

Don't take this as the pure anwser but Bradycardia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trained athletes tend to have slow resting heart rates, and resting bradycardia in athletes should not be considered abnormal if the individual has no symptoms associated with it.
    There is a bunch of info on it on the internet I have heard of it before but yours does seem very low.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.12%

Quote Originally Posted by striking View Post
    Don't take this as the pure anwser but Bradycardia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a bunch of info on it on the internet I have heard of it before but yours does seem very low.
    I have heard of it too but I always appreciate the input of others... Thanks for the responses everyone, if anyone else has ideas please don't hesitate to help out
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.85%

Hehe not a problem just hoped I could help put a name to it instead of just calling it "diffrent"

The reading I have done seems to suggest that it is not a problem as long as the person does not feel discomfort.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.79%

I wouldn't take too many stimulants if I were you..might throw your heart out of whack.
    Quote Originally Posted by striking View Post
    Hehe not a problem just hoped I could help put a name to it instead of just calling it "diffrent"

The reading I have done seems to suggest that it is not a problem as long as the person does not feel discomfort.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.43%

you know i also have a very low heartrate. right now its at 47 beats per minute (just counted). i wonder if its because of an enlarged heart, or whatever who knows. it might be beneficial though. ive never had any heart problems

Similar Forum Threads

1. What do you think of this exercise?
    By RenegadeRows in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 12:22 PM
  2. what exercise is this?
    By dlew308 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 12:58 AM
  3. cardio and heartrate
    By Beelzebub in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9