Decline bench really needed? - AnabolicMinds.com

Decline bench really needed?

1. New Member

Decline bench really needed?

I usually work my chest twice a week, sunday I do 6 sets 6 reps each, 2 sets on incline, 2 decline and another 2 in flat position.
    So I'm wondering if decline is really needed because perhaps I could focus more on the other two positions and try to lift more.
    Also I'm thinking about increasing the weight and doing less reps, not sure if it's a good idea. What do you think?

2. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flay View Post
    I usually work my chest twice a week, sunday I do 6 sets 6 reps each, 2 sets on incline, 2 decline and another 2 in flat position.
    So I'm wondering if decline is really needed because perhaps I could focus more on the other two positions and try to lift more.
    Also I'm thinking about increasing the weight and doing less reps, not sure if it's a good idea. What do you think?
    I would add some high and low cable fly's in there. Incline DB fly's are a personal fav of mine also. I like to stick to compound-rotary-compound-rotary.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  3. CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.

Decline is worthless IMO... weighted dips FTW
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

i use decline for a nice little warm up...other than that i wouldn't make them a staple exercise in your workout
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Usf97j4x4 View Post

i agree completely, decline is a useless exercise...in the 15 years ive been lifting i dont think ive done it once... trip had some good advice...you cant go wrong with incline fly's--- either cables or dumbbells
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

100% agree with Trip... cable fly's and incline dumbell fly's are my fav!!! Such a gooooood burn... I dont think decline is completely worthless, I usually do 1 chest exercise decline in a session.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.

I don't often do decline; it's not that important of a lift for me.
  8. New Member

No, not needed.

Incline + Flat (DB or BB).

You can use weighted Dips instead of bench, a better exercise (for many) that hits more muscles and from which more weight can be pushed.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Word. Weighted dips works practically everything in the entire upper body. Absolutely love them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. New Member

Thx for the advice guys, I had this question on my mind for a while and should've asked sooner.
    I'll do some weighted dips intead then. I'm also gonna try some bumbell fly's instead of incline bench press.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.

Weighted dips are the shiz. I do them once a week opposite of bench and chest day. When I was stuck on my bench for a while, I added these to my routine. Got me over a 2 year hump. Now they are a staple of mine. Here is my dip workout....

bodyweight for 30
    45 lbs for 15
    90 lbs for 12
    135 lbs for 10
    180 lbs for 6-7
    180 lbs for 6-7
    bodyweight until failure
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by drivehard View Post
    Weighted dips are the shiz. I do them once a week opposite of bench and chest day. When I was stuck on my bench for a while, I added these to my routine. Got me over a 2 year hump. Now they are a staple of mine. Here is my dip workout....

bodyweight for 30
    45 lbs for 15
    90 lbs for 12
    135 lbs for 10
    180 lbs for 6-7
    180 lbs for 6-7
    bodyweight until failure

That much weight would rip my shoulders outa the socket, 180 is alot lol
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.

I would have to disagree with most of you, i think decline is important. My most important chest exercise is incline which i do first while I'm fresh, after that i pick either decline or flat. I like decline more than flat bench. I feel flat focuses more on shoulders than actual chest. I always get a good pump with decline and i find it is a good burn out exercise. But you can never go wrong with the various types of flys. Its always important to continually switch up your exercises for chest with different variations and angles.
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I'm trying to figure out how to get 180 extra pounds underneath ya lol... Not really but 4 plates hanging from your waist hurts me thinking about it. I went as high as 3 plates for a while but didn't like the pains I started to get afterwards.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to get 180 extra pounds underneath ya lol... Not really but 4 plates hanging from your waist hurts me thinking about it. I went as high as 3 plates for a while but didn't like the pains I started to get afterwards.
    Yup, I just use 4 plates...my gym has a good padded belt. No biggie really. Been thinking of trying two of the 100 lb. plates lately. It usually does draw attention when I do it. Actually, today is a dip day YEAH!
  16. Professional Member

I just started doing weighted dips, and my strength is horrible. I guess I can only do 2 45's for some reps
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  174 lbs.

Include me in the "they're a waste of time" category.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.

POINTLESS ! def stick with the weighted dips there a def good way to finish your workout .... and they will get ur whole entire upper body bigger
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

semi-close grip decline press (about an inch or two in) and decline flies are decent imo.
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    semi-close grip decline press (about an inch or two in) and decline flies are decent imo.
    Decline flies, when the elbows have enough arch, pretty much mimics a dip. I like decline flies too.

Apart from that, I'd rather do dips then decline press.
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.

did decline barbell a lot in high school football but never saw any chest development
    the only time i do decline now is on the hammer strength decline machine, normally stick to dbell incline and flat bench

EDIT: and love the incline flys as well!
    CURRENT 2014 Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/old-school-hormone/252748-cherry-poppin-test.html
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Agreed! Specifically Gironda dips
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  23. New Member

Every exercise has its place, you just got to experiment with what works for you. If you get stronger in a movement who knows it might help you later.
  24. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.

decline presses are good to include occasionally.

the biomechanics of a decline press allows you to move more weight allowing you to stimulate more muscle fibers than flat or incline.
    declines involve a smaller range of motion while utilizing the lower pectoral muscles and lats to put you at your strongest positon.

and you might be surprised by this....
    in the Barnett EMG study, the flat bench produced much more muscle fiber activation in the lower pecs than did either the decline or incline positions
  25. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    decline presses are good to include occasionally.

the biomechanics of a decline press allows you to move more weight allowing you to stimulate more muscle fibers than flat or incline.
    declines involve a smaller range of motion while utilizing the lower pectoral muscles and lats to put you at your strongest positon.

and you might be surprised by this....
    That makes my day, great EMG post
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

that is good to know.
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  27. New Member

yeah, decline almost forces people to use proper bench press form...makes them easier to use a ton more weight.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

There isnt actually a "middle" chest muscle, so I rarely do flyes as they seem to do nothing for me, and I was reading somewhere on T-nation that decline recruits a really decent ammount of fibers, for the past two weeks i've done incline dumbells/decline dbs, then finnished up with weighted dips

there was a routine by Christian Thibaudeau somewhere on these forums, the thread was labled "great advice for chest and shoulders" but it had some really nice pointers/routine
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  197 lbs.

You are correct. Decline is actually very useful to include in your chest routine. Although flat bench is the king of all chest builders, decline allows your to depress your shoulder blades and press with only your latissimus, pectoralis, and triceps. Flat bench is so commonly done wrong that very often the anterior deltoid is overworked causing a reduction in force from the pectorals. So although flat bench is better, decline will automatically put you in the best position to benefit from a chest press movement. No wonder it's so hard, huh?

Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by willyp View Post
    I would have to disagree with most of you, i think decline is important. My most important chest exercise is incline which i do first while I'm fresh, after that i pick either decline or flat. I like decline more than flat bench. I feel flat focuses more on shoulders than actual chest. I always get a good pump with decline and i find it is a good burn out exercise. But you can never go wrong with the various types of flys. Its always important to continually switch up your exercises for chest with different variations and angles.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

no use unless you want saggy tits
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.

I personally love the Incline DB and Incline DB flies throw in some flat bench cable crosses and Dips and you will grow.

This is sorta related but im trying to find a chest workout to work the lower outside of my pec (right about where your bis rest next to your chest if your just standing still and straight). Was wondering if Decline flies are what would hit that area better or what would? any help is great to know.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.

I do dips or low cable flys, I feel this works much better personally
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.

Everyone should try gironda weighted dips. I really like those. Works on the sweep on the muscle towards the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by BettrBdyMitch View Post
    I do dips or low cable flys, I feel this works much better personally
  34. yea!!!!!
    Stats
    6'3"  249 lbs.

I dont do Decline Barbell presses, but im a believer in decline DB flys. Then again im also a believer in "deep" stretches at the bottom of all my fly sets, and theres something about going down deep as hell during a decline fly set that rips my chest near the armpits apart. I love em almost as much as incline flys
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SynergyCSCS View Post
    You are correct. Decline is actually very useful to include in your chest routine. Although flat bench is the king of all chest builders, decline allows your to depress your shoulder blades and press with only your latissimus, pectoralis, and triceps. Flat bench is so commonly done wrong that very often the anterior deltoid is overworked causing a reduction in force from the pectorals. So although flat bench is better, decline will automatically put you in the best position to benefit from a chest press movement. No wonder it's so hard, huh?

Food for thought.

How would you correct the form if someone works their anterior delts alot? When im doing my sets, they(delts) feel the most tired, but its always my chest that is sore the next day, never my delts
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

I guess I don't understand how they can be classified as "worthless". It is a compound lift, which in turn makes it a positive movement...it allows for heavy weight to be pressed, more so than flat or incline(when did pushing more weight turn into a waste??) and causes less strain(IMO) than flys will on the rotator and such...flys are almost more wasteful than decline IMO...a true fly(DB) causes elbow/shoulder strain long before one can reach significant intensity for muscle stimulation...you just can't reach a heavy enough weight before strain sets in...cable flys are another story
  37. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.

look at everyone you know who just flat benches or incline benches etc... not skinny dudes but im not talking pro bodybuilders.. just ur solid guys at the gym who arent chubby... so theyre defined

take a look at the chest pec muscle shape.... you will notice none of them have issues with the size of the muscle on the lower pec... ie where it starts above the middle part of the torso.... mine pops out quite nicely from above my rib cage etc just from flat benching

everyone recommends the dips... keep the flat one in there and i recon the incline is good too as its hard to get the muscle in the upper peck towards the shoulder area

Similar Forum Threads

1. Decline Bench
    By aries70 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 12:26 AM
  2. No decline bench what do you do?
    By MMAMONSTER19 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
  3. Decline bench aswell as FID
    By ItsHectic in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2