Your opinion on something I find strange...

  1. Registered User
    Fuego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    64
    Answers
    0

    Your opinion on something I find strange...


    Awright. So, I've been visiting this local gym. And I was thinking of applying for a job there as an instructor or whatever they may need. But what bugs me is that one of the instructors there have been telling people pretty strange things. Such as you shouldn't train bi's and tri's on the same day, and you should combine chest + bi's, and back + tri's.

    This makes very little sense to me. Am I the only one finding this strange? In my opinion it should be opposite: Chest and tri's. Many chest excersizes involves your arms being bent and extending them away from your body(bench press, db press, dips). Hence, you work your tri's indirectly. So, since there's already alot of blood flowing there and activity in the tri's is involved, why not go ahead with loading the tri's as well?

    And what's this about not training bi's and tri's during the same workout? Lee Priest, Arnold+++ they've all done bi's and tri's on the same day, and they're huge.

    Am I missing a big point here?

  2. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Answers
    0


    I always used to train chest and bis as well, along with tris and back. It allowed me to handle much heavier weight.
  3. Registered User
    Fuego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    64
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    I always used to train chest and bis as well, along with tris and back. It allowed me to handle much heavier weight.
    Yea, I get that, makes sense. But there's nothing that proves one way to be more efficient than the other? It's pretty random it seems. You just gotta see what works best for you. It seems like that according to what I've read here.

    But what about the bi's and tri's not being worked the same day? Got any opinion on that?
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    pdx89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    262
    Answers
    0


    Your thinking about it too much appenetly the other instructor is preching whats works best for them. Your body never changes it only adapts to changes, so there really is no right or wrong way to do it. I've done both chest and tri's and bi's and tri's and got good results from both. I think its funny that it bothers you, but if you become an instructor there tell them your way
  5. Registered User
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    862
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Fuego View Post
    Yea, I get that, makes sense. But there's nothing that proves one way to be more efficient than the other? It's pretty random it seems. You just gotta see what works best for you. It seems like that according to what I've read here.

    But what about the bi's and tri's not being worked the same day? Got any opinion on that?

    Very little science that proves anything we do. I think for most beginners if they are doing a full back workout they are not going to get an effective bi workout the same day. One of the things beginners lack is stamina, so imo what he is saying is probably optimal for a newer trainer, but imo i would have a newer trainer on a full body split or an upper lower, i would not even have them breaking up bodyparts like that.
  6. Registered User
    shaddow's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  203 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,386
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Fuego View Post
    Am I missing a big point here?
    The big point is that switching it up is what works best. There is no one way to lift, and you shouldn't lift any one way indefinitely.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    7,259
    Answers
    0


    My trainer has me do bi's and tri's on the same day. It works for me. I think that everyone does things a different way.
  8. Registered User
    Fuego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    64
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    My trainer has me do bi's and tri's on the same day. It works for me. I think that everyone does things a different way.
    Yea, I figured. My concern was more around if I get a job as an intructor and do things differently according to the other instructor. It might raise some questions, and might also look bad if two instructors disagree about the training.
  9. Registered User
    Fuego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    64
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
    The big point is that switching it up is what works best. There is no one way to lift, and you shouldn't lift any one way indefinitely.
    Yea, I totally agree. Gotta mix it up, don't let the body adapt to the routine. Always keep it guessing what's up...
  10. Registered User
    Genetic79's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  235.9 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    215
    Answers
    0


    Everyone has a different philosphy about things. Everyone does things different. As long as you can back up what you say with knowledge and the who, what, whens and where's, your golden.....
  11. Registered User
    Fuego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    64
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Genetic79 View Post
    Everyone has a different philosphy about things. Everyone does things different. As long as you can back up what you say with knowledge and the who, what, whens and where's, your golden.....
    Yea, having the knowledge and theory is good, but you gotta have experience as well. What you say should apply to life as well, no matter how much you've read=P I guess I just really want that job.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,134
    Answers
    0


    From a physiological standpoint, it is usually better to work antagonists together fro extra strength (e.g. biceps with triceps, chest with back).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Gold Member
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,378
    Answers
    0


    The thing to remember is that when *most* people are looking for a trainer, it's because they haven't a clue about weights or exercise, etc.

    They're looking for *confidence*. If the trainer's sure, even if he or she is wrong (or the point is simply debatable), that helps *them* feel better about picking *that* trainer.
  14. Registered User
    Fuego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    64
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    The thing to remember is that when *most* people are looking for a trainer, it's because they haven't a clue about weights or exercise, etc.

    They're looking for *confidence*. If the trainer's sure, even if he or she is wrong (or the point is simply debatable), that helps *them* feel better about picking *that* trainer.
    True. Have been training weights for 5 years now, and the last 3 been serious about it. Have instructed people before both in martial arts and weight training, but I guess it's kinda different when it's your job. Gotta have answers.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Strange......
    By Dr Packenwood in forum General Chat
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 08:44 PM
  2. strange pains
    By Ubiquitous in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-28-2006, 04:03 AM
  3. Strange Effects from AMP
    By fbxdan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 09:09 PM
  4. Does this sound strange?
    By Sandman187 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2004, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in