50 years old - some medical history - planning a first Test-E cycle

leosatriani

Awards
Hi Everyone!
I'm a forty something ;), been working out most of my life, have some fat to lose (about 15 lbs is my best guess) but have a fair bit of muscle. 30 years ago i had back surgery to remove a disc so can't go too heavy on my legs - i usually keep the weight low and reps higher. I had some cholesterol problems (discovered during my bloodwork test 4 months ago) and am on a statin now (Lipitor 10mg daily) and these days the numbers are looking great. I also had a bout of SVT but its all cleared up now. Taking anticoagulants these days (for another 3 weeks) but the "factors" tests all came back negative and I'm feeling good. Once the anticoag shots are done then i feel i could start my cycle. I'm back in the gym and my self esteem is improving. I didn't seem to lose any muscle just put on some fat during my hospital stay.

As i am in a part of the world which makes this possible and fairly easy to start, I'm researching taking a first cycle (after I lose about 10 lbs of fat first). I'm considering taking 500mgs of Test-E a week (250x2 injected sub-q) for 10 or 12 weeks (depending), have Armdx on hand (for on cycle) and Clomid as a PCT. I don't have Letro or Amsin but could get some from the clinic if need be. No HCG planned as i don't want any more kids anyways but am keeping options open there with my doctor. I'll get my bloodwork done before i plan to start for the best baseline and final decision point and also halfway through and again towards the end. I've spent some months researching this and feel if i am gonna do this its now or never. No plan to ever compete or anything but just to get my cells expanded to help me with some new growth and fasttrack my strength. I realize i have to pick a goal to get the most out of this so for me its to build muscle. If i can lose 10-15lbs of fat in the next month and then start my cycle and get 10 lbs of keepable muscular gains then i will consider this a success. I'm leaning towards keeping the cycle shorter (at 10 weeks) as I've read that the longer you stay engaged the more likelihood of "damage" occurring. I considered frontloading and orals too but decided against it for now. I'm also happy to read that sub-q injections seem to be every bit as effective as pinning in the quads/glutes so thats why i am going subq.

I've always wanted to try a cycle and see how i react to this. If its all good i'll consider continuing in the future (or go on TRT) but if not then hey I've tried. I realize different bodies have different responses to Test-E. I'm not into experimenting with all the PHs, sarms etc or other unproven compounds. Everything i am taking is all Pharm stuff and doctor assisted along the way. I'd like to keep this as safe as can be with something thats closer to a human biological makeup (ie Test). If my numbers or sides during cycle are not great i can join a test clinic here to better manage things if my own backup plan doesn't pan out. They have a good PCT program at the male clinic here too. I've a tendency to store fat on my upper body so want to trim things up or i might confuse water gains up top with gyno. I'll post here regularly. Any questions, criticisms or other points, please do fire away.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some thoughts:

1) Drop the statin. It’s more about triglycerides level. Find out which animal meats increase this the most. For me it was beef. Besides, cholesterol is the building block of all hormones.
2) At 50 your HPTA may not recover from running this cycle. Have you checked your TT, E2 and FT blood levels?
3) Glad you don’t want to run SARMS or PHs. Again, your age makes you more vulnerable to sides.
4) Bloodwork is key. You need it before you start for a baseline and after. PCT is not necessarily going to work due to age.
5) Check bloodwork levels of iodine, Folate, Vitamin D and magnesium. You’ll be surprised how these affect you thyroid, sleep and recovery.

leosatriani

Awards
Thanks Ken! I appreciate you taking the time to write back and share your thoughts. All good points.
1. I can't drop the statin. High LDL apparently runs in my family and is genetic and not diet related. Plus the Amdx I plan to run apparently has a negative re LDL so it makes sense for me to be preventative there. I'm not annihilating my total cholesterol altogether but just managing the ratios etc.
2. My TT, E2 and FT levels are all "normal" as per my last blood work. I'm still considering HCG in the later stages and will work with my doc to entertain considerations of running Nolva & Clomid combos depending on the HPTA levels (I realize they both have strengths and weaknesses). Also still researching the possibility of doing a front load and then lightening up on the test levels later to give a better chance of more recovery re HPTA via running a shorter cycle and lightening up on the Test later in the cycle. Have some organic type stuff too such as LCarnitine, Fish Oil which might assist to some small degree.
I'm with you on points 3 & 4. Once again, I'm trying to keep the cycle fairly light/moderate and shorter to help with most sides I could run into.
Point #5 is great feedback. Thanks for that. I agree totally and forgot to mention I have Zinc, Calcium, Vitamin D and Magnesium OTC as well.

Some of my numbers are:

TSH 2.5 (right in the middle of the reference range = good)
E2 is at 39.5 pg/mL so that number looks great (Amdex should help keep that low or even bring it down some)
LH is at 13.2 which is a little high (but gives me some comfort that things there are working even if too well)
TT is at 595 (a little above normal at my ripe old age)
My SHBG is a little high at 62.92 nmol/L but not alarming.

My triglyceride number is 90 so no real worries there but I want to keep up my cardio and fish oil etc to bring my HDL up from 46 to somewhere above 50 or possibly higher.

Thanks for all the help. I think I need more reassurance than anything else lol.

Jcruddy

Awards
Imho statins are the worst way to treat high cholesterol. Drop all meat from your diet. You don't need it.
I would be concerned with the stress the roids and statins are placing on your liver. Good luck.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Imho statins are the worst way to treat high cholesterol. Drop all meat from your diet. You don't need it.
I would be concerned with the stress the roids and statins are placing on your liver. Good luck.
Agree that statins are the worst. Research the number of people having even more issues due to taking statins.

leosatriani

Awards
Hey All,

I've been crawling forums, sending emails and speaking with a number of people "in the know" for about a year now. I don't post or reply much on here but really appreciate those who do. I plan on being more engaged here in the coming months.

Well its been a number of months now since my initial post on this thread (on Lipitor 10mgs low dose) and my cholesterol numbers are all looking fine. My HDL is at 40 which I would like a little higher but doesn't seem to want to move much. No issues to report from the statin drug. I've lost a few pounds and am feeling pretty good in general. After much deliberation (mostly about HDL affects from Test-e and Amdx) I've decided to go ahead and start a Test-e cycle of 350mgs per week (1 x 250mgs every 5 days) sub-q. I have my Adex, Clomid and Nolva on hand (with I had some Aromasin as its reported easier on HDL but oh well). I'm going to hold off on taking the Adex for a week or two and just watch for any sides. If I feel I need to take some I'll take it in small amounts. I might take a nolva tablet every blue moon but plan on that being more of a PCT staple instead of an on-cycle sort of thing.

My only debate is if I should just go for 500mgs a week (2 x 250) or keep it at 250mgs every 5 days (350mgs weekly). I know I'll be shut down anyways but am a little paranoid about any sides... Then again I don't want to waste my first cycle by underdosing the Test-e. My feeling is that I should start with 500mgs per week and let my bloodwork tell me if I should reduce/improve the Test/Adex combinations. All the forums I read conflict with each other on the numbers and potential sides. I guess I'll have to just go for it and let my bloodwork tell the tale. Another approach I could take is just do the 500mgs but keep the cycle to 8 weeks (which sounds like a damn good plan on its own). I realize that Amdx might hinder my HDL levels more significantly than the test so am hesitant to start that earlier than needed.

In addition, just to say I have a ton of Omega 3 fish oil capsules, Vitamin C and Multis that I plan to take regularly. My diet lately has been more veggies and tuna/chicken. I'm staying away from the fried foods and reduced my dairy intake. I've been spending about 30 minutes a day on the exercise bike and hitting the weights 5 days a week.

Its a shame to say I don't have a specific goal but I guess I'm shooting to put on 10 -15lbs of lean meat and lose 10 lbs of fat by the end of 8 - 10 weeks. I'm 50 years old and don't want to change the world (no competition dreams) but just recomp a little and add some muscle and lost a little more fat. I'm happily married so not in it to pick up chicks lol. I'm looking forward to the libido boost and entertaining the possibility I might want/need to go on trt in the future to keep my levels happy.

Will keep you all abreast of my developments or hurdles. Appreciate the support and any feedback you might have to share. Thanks!
My apologies to the admin if its determined that this should have been a fresh post but I thought my initial post held some important info that I didn't want to retype/resubmit.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey All,

I've been crawling forums, sending emails and speaking with a number of people "in the know" for about a year now. I don't post or reply much on here but really appreciate those who do. I plan on being more engaged here in the coming months.

Well its been a number of months now since my initial post on this thread (on Lipitor 10mgs low dose) and my cholesterol numbers are all looking fine. My HDL is at 40 which I would like a little higher but doesn't seem to want to move much. No issues to report from the statin drug. I've lost a few pounds and am feeling pretty good in general. After much deliberation (mostly about HDL affects from Test-e and Amdx) I've decided to go ahead and start a Test-e cycle of 350mgs per week (1 x 250mgs every 5 days) sub-q. I have my Adex, Clomid and Nolva on hand (with I had some Aromasin as its reported easier on HDL but oh well). I'm going to hold off on taking the Adex for a week or two and just watch for any sides. If I feel I need to take some I'll take it in small amounts. I might take a nolva tablet every blue moon but plan on that being more of a PCT staple instead of an on-cycle sort of thing.

My only debate is if I should just go for 500mgs a week (2 x 250) or keep it at 250mgs every 5 days (350mgs weekly). I know I'll be shut down anyways but am a little paranoid about any sides... Then again I don't want to waste my first cycle by underdosing the Test-e. My feeling is that I should start with 500mgs per week and let my bloodwork tell me if I should reduce/improve the Test/Adex combinations. All the forums I read conflict with each other on the numbers and potential sides. I guess I'll have to just go for it and let my bloodwork tell the tale. Another approach I could take is just do the 500mgs but keep the cycle to 8 weeks (which sounds like a damn good plan on its own). I realize that Amdx might hinder my HDL levels more significantly than the test so am hesitant to start that earlier than needed.

In addition, just to say I have a ton of Omega 3 fish oil capsules, Vitamin C and Multis that I plan to take regularly. My diet lately has been more veggies and tuna/chicken. I'm staying away from the fried foods and reduced my dairy intake. I've been spending about 30 minutes a day on the exercise bike and hitting the weights 5 days a week.

Its a shame to say I don't have a specific goal but I guess I'm shooting to put on 10 -15lbs of lean meat and lose 10 lbs of fat by the end of 8 - 10 weeks. I'm 50 years old and don't want to change the world (no competition dreams) but just recomp a little and add some muscle and lost a little more fat. I'm happily married so not in it to pick up chicks lol. I'm looking forward to the libido boost and entertaining the possibility I might want/need to go on trt in the future to keep my levels happy.

Will keep you all abreast of my developments or hurdles. Appreciate the support and any feedback you might have to share. Thanks!
My apologies to the admin if its determined that this should have been a fresh post but I thought my initial post held some important info that I didn't want to retype/resubmit.
If you have test e you don't want to run an 8 week cycle its too short. I think your 350/week plan for a longer duration is better as you would see more results over a longer period 10-12 weeks imo. 350 is enough (especially at 50 yo) to get a good feel for how it works. Honestly 400 gives me fantastic results still and I've been doing this a long time.

Pick a dose and run it the whole time

Keep cycle 10-12 weeks since your going to be shutdown anyway you may as well give it a good run. At 10-12 weeks you will see things slow down but up until that point gains will be steady.

I would get before and after bloodwork and seriously consider possible trt at your age (see above posts that your doing things correctly) which imo would do you much better (overall health and well being, plus it definitely helps things out in the gym) than running a cycle.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If TRT is in your future, please contact me and I’ll point you to our board sponsor Entourage Medical.

leosatriani

Awards
If you have test e you don't want to run an 8 week cycle its too short. I think your 350/week plan for a longer duration is better as you would see more results over a longer period 10-12 weeks imo. 350 is enough (especially at 50 yo) to get a good feel for how it works. Honestly 400 gives me fantastic results still and I've been doing this a long time.

Pick a dose and run it the whole time

Keep cycle 10-12 weeks since your going to be shutdown anyway you may as well give it a good run. At 10-12 weeks you will see things slow down but up until that point gains will be steady.

I would get before and after bloodwork and seriously consider possible trt at your age (see above posts that your doing things correctly) which imo would do you much better (overall health and well being, plus it definitely helps things out in the gym) than running a cycle.
Thanks for your reply. Pleasure making your acquaintance.

My blood work has been done. Results should be back soon. 10-12 weeks eh? I have enough to take me that long. I realize it’s an individual thing but how much AI do you have to normally take at 400mg per week? For the sake of my hdl levels I’m hoping I won’t need too much. Would you recommend I take it immediately as a precautionary measure or just “as needed”?

Thanks again.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Ken. Do they operate out of Thailand? That’s where I am located.
In thailand you dont need a prescription. You can just buy test and other steroids from any pharmacy over the counter in thailand cant you?

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Folks, not all cholesterol issues are diet related, most actually are hereditary. At age 18 as a ripped teenager, my total cholesterol was 315.
Very high LDL and triglycerides. (Father died of heart disease at age 47, so hereditary).

Dr. knew it wasn't an issue for a young healthy person, said wait 'til you hit 40 to see where you are. At 40, i was still at that high level after 20 years of natural bodybuilding lifestyle. (Chicken breasts and salads for 20 years). Anyways, went on simvasatin 12 years ago at age 40. My lipid levels are perfect, but statins are damaging. Like Ken said, knock down your cholesterol, you knock down your hormone levels. (Testosterone is made in cholesterol). Took many years, but my Test levels finally crashed and I went on TRT at age 50. So, really look at your levels (are they really VERY high, or just elevated), look at real family history (history of high levels, or history of heart disease), Dr's throw everyone on them these days which is a joke, only those with dangerous levels and real family history (death/disease) should be on them. I'm going to go off them again and do what I did 2 years ago and use health supplements, my numbers were as good as on the statins. (IT became a hassle to swallow 30 pills a day, and the cost went from 5.00 a month to 100.00+ per month), but Im ready to get back on that... (I did Red Yeast Rice, Bergamot, Arginine, Ornithine, Niacin, etc)...

(Oh ya, I then did an experiment for 3 months, I ate tons of sausage, fatty meats, processed foods, McDonald's, etc.). My numbers didnt change a bit, so diet based cholesterol (IMO and in my case) isn't even an issue... There's plenty of studies out there that show this...

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

leosatriani

Awards
In thailand you dont need a prescription. You can just buy test and other steroids from any pharmacy over the counter in thailand cant you?
Well... it’s not that easy but yes you can find it around. Kens point was more in regards to a trt solution...

leosatriani

Awards
Thanks a bunch for that. That's what I am hoping for as well. I have the AI and hope I won't need it. I'd rather take the Nolva every blue moon too. If I do need the Arimidex then I will take a low dose. I'll be keeping an eye on things. Thanks again.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Well... it’s not that easy but yes you can find it around. Kens point was more in regards to a trt solution...
His name isnt ken. It refers to the martial art kenpo. I could be wrong and kenpoengineer will tell you for sure but i dont think entourage can help people outside USA.

leosatriani

Awards
Thanks for the writeback. My cholesterol issues are indeed hereditary and not diet induced. My family are all on statins (all over 40 years old). I have been on a statin for awhile now too (with much hesitation) but my levels are all normal now which is why I feel I might now be in a better position to do a low dose test cycle. If this cycle seriously affects my levels (particularly my HDL and triglycerides) then i'll cut it short and cut my losses (so to speak). If I make it through the cycle ok but can't recover my test etc then I'll possibly go on trt. I'm working with a clinic here in Bangkok to monitor my levels etc. The doctors and my bloodwork etc I should be in good hands. Fingers crossed.

leosatriani

Awards
Ok. Well, I meant no offense to Kenpoengineer. Ken was just easier to type :)
I am connected to a clinic here in Thailand so should be in good hands. I was just inquiring further as if there are discounts or special deals to be had in case my connection with this site would be of some benefit to help reduce costs here for me.
Thanks for your comments.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Ok. Well, I meant no offense to Kenpoengineer. Ken was just easier to type :)
I am connected to a clinic here in Thailand so should be in good hands. I was just inquiring further as if there are discounts or special deals to be had in case my connection with this site would be of some benefit to help reduce costs here for me.
Thanks for your comments.
Yeah well if youre with a clinic you should be good. Entourage was the cheapest one i could find. Definitely cheaper than any local clinics for me. But idk if telemedicine in this case can go international. I doubt it

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah well if youre with a clinic you should be good. Entourage was the cheapest one i could find. Definitely cheaper than any local clinics for me. But idk if telemedicine in this case can go international. I doubt it
Entourage has been the most inexpensive route for me as well. Telemedicine laws prohibit going international unfortunately.

leosatriani

Awards
A quick update.

My bloodwork came back so I have my numbers and there are no big issues that stand out. Everything seems to be within range.

I just finished week #3 and I am feeling pretty good. I can notice a strength increase and even on days when I am tired (in the gym), I can now seemingly manage to still lift heavy weight and feel good about my workout when its finished. I'm taking 250mg of Test-E every 5 days so that works out to be 350mg a week. I'm eating a lot of fish oil and garlic oil capsules and also a ZMA tablet at night before I sleep. I have a shot of apple cider vinegar every night as well. I take vitamins but not so regularly, just now and again. I'm trying to drink more water than usual and that's actually been the hardest part for me believe it or not.

My libido has increased but after 3 weeks maybe its just in my head (pardon the expression)?
I haven't noticed any strength in size yet but my understanding is that I wouldn't see any changes there in the first few weeks.

Two problems I noticed were
a) I had a sharp pain under my right nipple. I couldn't find any bump and it lasted for a few days. It (thankfully) went away on its own. I was getting nervous there for a moment.
b) I had a big red face. From my research I felt it could be from an oestrogen increase (to be expected when testosterone increases) so I gave blood (at the blood bank) and took half a 1mg arimidex tablet. After one day I am fine again but that redness lasted for 3 days after I took my last shot of test. I got the idea that I might just want to periodically take a nolva tablet but my research so far says not to use that intermittently and just save it for PCT.

Personally, I would rather take a nolva tab now and again instead of taking arimidex regularly (for the HDL levels). Would you guys have any thoughts to share on that or anything else I've updated you on?

irone93

irone93

Awards
  • Established
Man, you are very much where I am. I am considering my first cycle at 43. I have done SARMS in the past. My natural test is lower than yours, but not sure if I’m ready for TRT forever