When To Dose Milk Thistle?

maggotspawn

Awards
Perhaps you guys can settle a friendly argument. I was always told to dose milk thistle and liver supplements 4 hours apart from when you dose the PH. Friend says it doesn't matter when you dose it. Who's right?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Perhaps you guys can settle a friendly argument. I was always told to dose milk thistle and liver supplements 4 hours apart from when you dose the PH. Friend says it doesn't matter when you dose it. Who's right?
It doesn't matter when you dose it.

I would recommend doing Milk Thistle at 600-1000 mg/day (spread over 2 doses):
Dose 1 - 300-500 mg first thing in the morning
Dose 2 - 300-500 mg 8-10 hours post-Dose 1

Many times, the prohormonal product is also recommended to be dosed first thing.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
Just to add on...I doubt you are going to get a clear cut answer because this one of those questions that is purely subjective.

However, it doesn't matter when you take it. If someone has a study proving that there is a more effective way of dosing milk thistle I would be more than happy to see it. So in saying that...good luck finding a definitive answer bud because you are most likely going to get a wide variety of opinions.

Cheers!:cheers:

-Sean-

Primordial Performance

maggotspawn

Awards
Thanks for the replies. Not having to dose it 4 hours apart would definitely make things a little less complicated.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks for the replies. Not having to dose it 4 hours apart would definitely make things a little less complicated.
Yes. There's no need to complicate things, LOL :D

maggotspawn

Awards
Found this, still wondering now:

"Milk thistle provides hepatocellular protection by stabilizing hepatic cell membranes. It alters the structure of the outer cell membrane of the hepatocytes in such a way as to prevent the penetration of the liver toxins into the interior of the cell. The stimulation effect on nucleolar polymerase A results in an increase in ribosomal protein synthesis, and thus increases the regenerative ability of the liver and the formation of new hepatocytes. Other actions include interruption of enterohepatic recirculation of toxins and regeneration of damaged hepatocytes (2). An animal study performed in rats demonstrated a reduction in kidney damage following administration of cisplatin without diminished anti-tumor activity (7). Other studies indicate the flavonoids in milk thistle have anticancer effects by inducing G1 and S phase arrest in cells (8). Anecdotal data suggests that milk thistle may prevent liver damage from hepatotoxic medications including butyrophenones, phenothiazines, and phenytoin (6)."

www dot mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69303.cfm
www dot en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterohepatic_circulation