Review of the Purple Wraath Sample

1. kbp
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.02%

Review of the Purple Wraath Sample

1st...thanks to Controlled Labs for sending me the sample packet of Purple Wraath. You asked us to give our opinion of it, so here goes. I see that you are soon releasing the 3rd version of the product and that the taste is supposed to be substantially improved. I am assuming that I rec'd the 2nd version, as you said it was not the new version.

To test the product I used it primarily as a stand alone pre-workout, without adding other things that I normally might take in addition. I wanted to judge the effectiveness as clearly as possible. I think for the most part, it is difficult to judge a product from one use, although sometimes there are exceptions. This is the case here...I think I would need to use it several times to truly judge its effectiveness. But based on 1st and only time used, I can say that I definitely felt something...I could "feel" the product working, and it did seem to be an aid to the workout.

That is as much as I can say about the effectiveness at this point, because the 2nd part of my review of PW is not that good, and thus, affected what I felt was the benefit of the product.

This has to do with taste as well as the product overall. I have to give it a failing grade overall, not so much due to the taste itself, but because it has way too much sweetener. So much so, that it actually made me slightly nauseous. It says to use in 6 to 14 oz of water, so I started with 12 oz. Taste was not really an issue, other than it was so damn sweet. So I kept adding more water and sipping on it, and adding more water, then sip a little more, throughout my workout.

It was so sweet that I added enough water over time so that it probably was equal to starting with at least a quart or more of water, and it was still way too sweet. After a point, all the flavor was gone and it just tasted like a very yucky over sweetened sugar water. But sugar water would have tasted better than this. No matter how much water I added, it still had an overly sweet taste to it.

From looking at the ingredients, I am guessing that the main problem is with the Acesulfame K, which is nasty crap anyway. Probably too much sucralose as well. For pete's sake, when will sports supps companies wise up and start providing "healthy" products as well as effective products. The two are not mutually exclusive. It is not that difficult these days, to use better tasting and healthier sweeteners, instead of acesulfame k and aspartame. Use stevia instead, and a little sucrolose, if necessary.

There are some companies that are staring to do that more now, but more need to follow suit. And if you feel you just have to use the junk stuff, just don't use so much and make it so sweet. I don't really care nearly as much about taste as much as I do the effectiveness and healthiness of the product. But I think it is not that hard to do all three.

I hope that as part of the improvement of the 3rd version, that this over the top sweetness was addressed.

Again, thanks Controlled Labs for the sample. I do appreciate companies that make samples available as well as take the time and expense to listen to the consumer and make an effort to improve on their products. For that, I applaud you and give you an A+, but for the sample version I tried, sorry, but I have to give it an F.

2. PROnom 23.... NOM NOM NOM
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.05%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

this product has very little sweetener in it compared to our other products and products from other companies (taste is very subjective as well as sweetness). we have never had a single person complain that it was too sweet, so that is odd. Most people add extra sweetners like sucralose and crystal light to make this sweeter (with the 3rd version they wont need to anymore, its got a sweeter and more natural acidic grape taste to it)

stevia doesnt work well with many formulas including this one.

anyway, we thank you for your feedback.
  3. CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.29%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Thank you, we value your detailed feedback.
    CONTROLLED LABS - WINNING the WAR against GENETICS
    Email: pt [at] controlledlabs.com
    •   

4. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Wow I'm not sure how you found yours too sweet, but I do tend to throw sweeteners in a lot of things so maybe I'm just not that sensitive to it anymore. Mine in 12 oz was definitely not what I'd call sweet; if I had some splenda/ Crystal Light with me I'd have thrown some in probably.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33%

Hello, I know that thread is quite old but I just received 1.1kg of purple wraath lemonade flavor and tasted it straight.
    I choosed it because this is a top marked intra workout mix and my bcaa stock is getting low, I also like the ingredients appart from acesulfate K.
    The lemonade taste itself is not bad but I agree that there is a way too much sweeteners in it.
    In fact I guess that without acesulfate K, that product itself should taste a way better !

I will have much time to think about it since I need several months to finish it...
  6. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by xispeo View Post
    Hello, I know that thread is quite old but I just received 1.1kg of purple wraath lemonade flavor and tasted it straight.
    I choosed it because this is a top marked intra workout mix and my bcaa stock is getting low, I also like the ingredients appart from acesulfate K.
    The lemonade taste itself is not bad but I agree that there is a way too much sweeteners in it.
    In fact I guess that without acesulfate K, that product itself should taste a way better !

I will have much time to think about it since I need several months to finish it...
    Thank you for the feedback. Indeed taste is very subjective, I haven't heard many people complain it is too sweet. It contains no sugars, and is sweetened by sucralose. the other thing is aminos are very hard to sweeten, they have a strong taste. anyone who's tried bulk Leucine will know this.

Again thank you for your feedback, if we ever change the flavoring matrix, i will let you know!
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33%

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. Indeed taste is very subjective, I haven't heard many people complain it is too sweet. It contains no sugars, and is sweetened by sucralose. the other thing is aminos are very hard to sweeten, they have a strong taste. anyone who's tried bulk Leucine will know this.

Again thank you for your feedback, if we ever change the flavoring matrix, i will let you know!
    Thank you for your answer, currently I use it with the maximum volume of water you recommend for one dose, in that case the taste is ok, I also tried to add bulk BCAA in it and it covers well its awful flavor. So I will most probably consume Purple Wraath by adding some bulk BCAA powder in it. When I open the Purple Wraath it smells cotton candy For anyone who wanna know more precisely how it flavors.
  8. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by xispeo View Post
    Thank you for your answer, currently I use it with the maximum volume of water you recommend for one dose, in that case the taste is ok, I also tried to add bulk BCAA in it and it covers well its awful flavor. So I will most probably consume Purple Wraath by adding some bulk BCAA powder in it. When I open the Purple Wraath it smells cotton candy For anyone who wanna know more precisely how it flavors.
    It also tastes best when it's chilled, make sure your water is a cold temperature!!
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

nice review
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I used purple wraath for years
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.79%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    I used purple wraath for years
    i really enjoy PW as well.
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.92%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post

It also tastes best when it's chilled, make sure your water is a cold temperature!!
    Agreed. I use the lemonade flavor regularly, and chilled is far superior.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Purple Wraath Log
    By Hank Vangut in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 06:25 PM
  2. Mini-Review of Blackberry Focus XT Sample
    By Resolve in forum Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 07:34 PM