• Workout Finishers For Fat Loss

By Chad Howse, ACE-CPT Men's Fitness

Trying to shed of some extra fat? Of course you are, who isn't? Workout finishers are sets added to the end of a workout that can be used as a replacement to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) to provide a metabolic boost to your training. They can also be used to burn out a muscle group using higher reps or combined sets typically done at lower weights. Here are three versions of a metabolic finisher for fat loss as a replacement to cardio that you can add to any workout.

The Metabolic Finisher

With each metabolic finisher we're going to focus on full body exercises done at high intensity, rotating from a lower body exercise to an upper body exercise. This will result in more calories being burned as your blood has to travel from the lower body to the upper body, and so forth.

The intensity of each finisher will have a metabolic effect much like HIIT, boosting your metabolism for up to 24 hours after you've finished training.

When to do them: After a weight training session.

Benefits: Takes less time and provides a greater metabolic effect than traditional cardio.

Warning: Don't go all out your first few times, you must prepare your body for this type of work load after a workout. Listen to your body and proceed with caution. It's also a wise decision to not perform these finishers after every workout.

Set-up: Complete each exercise consecutively, with rest only coming after the set is finished. Repeat for three sets with a 60-second rest in between each set.

Finisher 1
      Lunge jumps (20 reps)
      Heavy bag punches (40 reps)
      Frog jumps (or squat jumps) (20 reps)

Finisher 2
      Push-ups (20 reps)
      Step-ups (alternating legs) (20 reps)
      Mountain climbers (20 reps)

Finisher 3
      Walk outs with a push-up (20 reps)
      Frog jumps (20 reps)
      Push-ups (20 reps)
      High knee sprints (count to 20)

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...lic-fat-burner
      Comments 10 Comments
        chedapalooza -
        Well I'm gonna start this today. Lately I've been getting away skipping my post workout cardio without any affect on body comp (doing 30-35 pre) bc the Energy and motivation and time mostly just isn't there following Thr lift. No excuse not to bang these out!
        live to lift -
        Subbed
        chedapalooza -
        Originally Posted by live to lift View Post
        Subbed
        Yeaa boy. Throw these in to your routine/log!
        mikeg313 -
        I used to do 3 , 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag with 3, 3 minute rounds of jumping rope and boxing footwork in between heavy bag sets. Its a nice closer. Lately I've switched it up to 6 120 yrd sprints with 6 walks back across the field in between sprints. It kicks my ass and an hour later I just wanna go to sleep
        chedapalooza -
        Just did umber 3 after legs shoulders abs. Omg.
        AaronJP1 -
        Originally Posted by chedapalooza View Post
        Just did umber 3 after legs shoulders abs. Omg.
        Obsessed with trying everything not to gain fat haha...
        chedapalooza -
        Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post

Obsessed with trying everything not to gain fat haha...
        This was harder than 10mph+ sprint on a treadmill for one minute intervals.
        Torobestia -
        Lol @ the idea of doing 20 lunge jumps after a workout. That's not gonna happen.
        alexoc949 -
        could have done a better job writing this article by giving substitutes for heavy bag punches.. as most people aren't going to have access to that. They trying to sell us heavy bags or what? I mean obviously you should be able to make up your own, but the writer could have gone with better examples. C-
        chedapalooza -
        Originally Posted by alexoc949 View Post
        could have done a better job writing this article by giving substitutes for heavy bag punches.. as most people aren't going to have access to that. They trying to sell us heavy bags or what? I mean obviously you should be able to make up your own, but the writer could have gone with better examples. C-
        Agree! I forgot to mention this. My gym has heavy bags at only one of their locations, my school gym does not.. I was thinking of
        A) doing punches with like little 2 lb db's
        B) putting a bosu ball against a wall propped up and hitting it or something..

Did neither bc I didn't wanna look like a fool haha.. Got a heavy bag in my basement so these will be great for any home workouts for sure!