Why You Should Carb Backload - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Why You Should Carb Backload



      By John Kiefer Flex

      I’m a huge advocate of eating so-called “junk” carbs at night. Sticky white rice, pizza, cherry turnovers—I want you to eat all of that in abundance after you train.

      That’s the foundation of my Carb Back-Loading plan, and it’s what literally thousands of my clients have used to pack on slabs of muscle while skipping the traditional bulking and cutting phases that add fat and mitigate your hard-earned mass gains.

      By “junk” carbs, I’m referring to high-glycemic carbs. Low-glycemic carbs like brown rice? Well, as the title suggests, all the “experts” that suggest these as your primary carb sources have been lying to
 you for years.

      Scientists introduced the glycemic index (GI) as a new classification scheme for carbs in 1981. The idea was to assign an index to different foods based on the percentage of blood sugar increase in reference to glucose during the two hour period after ingestion. This, logically, should correlate with insulin release, right? One problem with this approach is that people rarely eat just one type of carbohydrate in any given meal. How often do you sit down to dinner and eat just a plate of plain pasta with no sauce, no meat, and no beverage except water? When you start mixing foods, GI loses its ability to predict blood sugar levels. Milk is a low-GI food, so adding it to a meal should lower the GI of the entire collection of food—which means it should lower your insulin response. Milk doesn’t do this, though. It does lower the GI of your meal, but it also increases the amount of insulin released. Simply put, when it comes to your meals, things are way too convoluted to rely on GI as a predictor of anything.

      Research has now shown even more clearly that you can’t use the GI—especially when it comes to low-glycemic carbs—to predict health, insulin sensitivity, or fat loss. Low-glycemic carbs are essentially useless for
 what we require—enhanced performance and the building of muscle without adding fat.

      REASON #1

      You need to rebuild your glycogen stores to fuel performance. Skeletal muscle will recover from even the most strenuous workouts within 48 hours. Your nervous system, in contrast, can take up to 10 days to return to normal. To understand this, you have to compare the workloads of both your nervous system and your muscles. In terms of their relative capacities, your nervous system works much harder than your muscles do when you train hard. When you have sufficient glycogen in reserve, you’re allowing your motor neurons to fire at a higher level during training. This, in turn, allows your muscles to fire with maximum force.

      REASON #2

      You need glucose for maximal contraction as sets approach failure. When you approach the anaerobic point during training, your muscles need glucose to continue contracting during the glycolytic (glucose-burning) cycle. Making sure your glycogen stores are full will allow your muscles to use fatty acids during training until the need for glucose arises. It’s at this point that glycogen is broken down and used. Eating high-glycemic carbs at night will give you the glucose you need; eating low-glycemic carbs won’t.

      REASON #3

      Your glycogen levels may help muscular growth. This point has been debated just about everywhere, and there are valid points on both sides. Research, however, has shown that full glycogen reserves help limit the protein breakdown caused by training sessions. They also increase glycogen usage during your training session(s) the following day. When I talk about replenishing your glycogen levels, then, I’m not talking about recovering from today’s workout. I’m talking about helping you prepare for tomorrow’s.

      REASON #4

      High-glycemic carbs won’t kill your nighttime growth hormone release. Eating low-glycemic carbs before bedtime will disrupt nighttime release of growth hormone, which is an incredibly powerful fat burner and lean-tissue builder. Your body won’t release growth hormone while you sleep until approximately two hours after your blood sugar and insulin levels return to normal. Low-glycemic carbs will keep your insulin and blood sugar levels elevated for hours, which is obviously bad. High-glycemic carbs, however, create a spike that ends within an hour or so of eating. In other words, eating junk replenishes your glycogen stores without interfering with your nocturnal HGH cycle. If you’re trying to work Carb Back-Loading with brown rice and whole-grain toast, you won’t get the results you’re looking for. This is precisely why.

      REASON #5

      If you train in the early morning, you can get a bigger boost from your post-training nutrition. Believe it or not, there’s a sort of “insulin memory” to your nighttime carb feedings that extends to your next morning meal. Creating a larger insulin spike before you go to sleep causes a greater insulin response to food the next morning. Using Carb Back-Loading principles to tweak your diet for this training schedule, you can get a larger anabolic burst after your morning workouts.

      REASON #6

      Insulin is an anti-inflammatory. Large insulin spikes can help speed muscle repair and growth. Yes, you definitely need free-radical production during your training sessions to trigger growth, but too much will ultimately slow your progress. This effect is known as hormesis—a little is good, but a lot is bad. Using junk to cause large insulin releases can potentially decrease muscle protein breakdown and increase muscle protein synthesis
in even more ways than simple nutrient delivery.

      REASON #7

      Insulin release up to a certain threshold shuts down fat cells’ ability to release fat, and increases their ability to store it. Research released by the American Diabetes Association, however, found that once you drive insulin levels higher, it’s like flipping a switch that actually causes your fat cells to increase their ability to empty their fat loads. How do you accomplish this? You guessed it: with high-glycemic carbs, not their low-glycemic brethren.

      - See more at: http://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/....eV7ttCOz.dpuf
      Comments 52 Comments
      1. pyrobatt's Avatar
        pyrobatt -
        Bro science is strong with this one.
      1. Whacked's Avatar
        Whacked -
        Wow. I feel like I just got butt raped with bro science
      1. MANotaur's Avatar
        MANotaur -
        I actually like kiefer amd his work. I use a modified backloading regime and it has done wonders for my physique. Im not saying i agree with 100% of what he is saying but its not broscience-this is actual real stuff that has been independantly researched and then peer reviewed.

        If you read his books or a few of his papers he goes into alot more detail. I like it
      1. threeFs's Avatar
        threeFs -
        People love to hate this guy. My wife has been doing this for years without knowing the science of how she can keep her abs. It works for some I guess. But this will undoubtedly turn into a hate-fest so I will just sit back
      1. huggy77's Avatar
        huggy77 -
        if his TGLUT theorys hold, this way of eating is interesting because you are able to keep your insuliln very low during the day when your sensitivity is highest and then you eat a ton of carbs at night when your sensitivity is lowest and rely on TGLUT to refill the glycogen for the next days workout.

        In his book he stresses more homeade high GI meals too...

        i have been eating this way for a few weeks, not eating the crappy food but getting a massive servign of dextrose in my pwo shake (training at 6pm) and eating white rice with dinner... My carbs are lower then the have been during a bulk but my performance in the gym has not diminished which is all i care about....
      1. MANotaur's Avatar
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by huggy77 View Post
        if his TGLUT theorys hold, this way of eating is interesting because you are able to keep your insuliln very low during the day when your sensitivity is highest and then you eat a ton of carbs at night when your sensitivity is lowest and rely on TGLUT to refill the glycogen for the next days workout.

        In his book he stresses more homeade high GI meals too...

        i have been eating this way for a few weeks, not eating the crappy food but getting a massive servign of dextrose in my pwo shake (training at 6pm) and eating white rice with dinner... My carbs are lower then the have been during a bulk but my performance in the gym has not diminished which is all i care about....
        I dont think its a matter of his theory holding-cause we know TGLUT exists and what it does-its a matter of us using it to our advantage.

        I dont do a strict backload. I consume about 40 grams of dextrose with about 12 grams of bcaas pre workout and then about 50 with my shake immediately afterwards. Ive been doing this for about 2 years now and i love it. Then i read both his books about a year ago and i had that ligjt bulb moment like "ahhh science" lol
      1. whitexican911's Avatar
        whitexican911 -
        Just do it.. Did a high fat deit, but always found myself carb loading at nite to refuel myself. Became a matter of having no energy or full of it the nxt day. Now follow a 88/6/6 diet mostly all fruit, maybe sweetened corn flakes for late night snack. Energy levels up, muscle recovery up. Bf is same as before..
      1. Whacked's Avatar
        Whacked -
        88 /6 /6?

        Originally Posted by whitexican911 View Post
        Just do it.. Did a high fat deit, but always found myself carb loading at nite to refuel myself. Became a matter of having no energy or full of it the nxt day. Now follow a 88/6/6 diet mostly all fruit, maybe sweetened corn flakes for late night snack. Energy levels up, muscle recovery up. Bf is same as before..
      1. kisaj's Avatar
        kisaj -
        I've been eating 2 PB and Honey's before bed for 15 years and it hasn't hurt me. Oh wait, I eat carbs all day too. lol
      1. hitokiri's Avatar
        hitokiri -
        Just do tren hard! Get you bigger...
      1. ThaGerGuy3000's Avatar
        ThaGerGuy3000 -
        Originally Posted by whitexican911 View Post
        Just do it.. Did a high fat deit, but always found myself carb loading at nite to refuel myself. Became a matter of having no energy or full of it the nxt day. Now follow a 88/6/6 diet mostly all fruit, maybe sweetened corn flakes for late night snack. Energy levels up, muscle recovery up. Bf is same as before..
        32 Bananas a day wooohoooo!!!
        Seriously though, even on 4k cals that is 60g of protein... gl training heavy or more than twice a week.
      1. Quatie's Avatar
        Quatie -
        How does having your glycogen stores full allow you to use fatty acids first. I thought it used glucose first and then fat?
      1. MANotaur's Avatar
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by Quatie View Post
        How does having your glycogen stores full allow you to use fatty acids first. I thought it used glucose first and then fat?
        Ot has to do with insulin sensitivity and a few other factors. So you avoid carba when your most sensitive and then when your the least sensitive you backload carba after you have workwd out.

        Doing it thisway takes advantage of certain hormones and other physiology to build muscle why using fat as the primary energy source.
      1. pyrobatt's Avatar
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post

        Ot has to do with insulin sensitivity and a few other factors. So you avoid carba when your most sensitive and then when your the least sensitive you backload carba after you have workwd out.

        Doing it thisway takes advantage of certain hormones and other physiology to build muscle why using fat as the primary energy source.
        Switching one macro to another does not produce the effects this post mentions. It will not burn bodyfat as fuel. It will burn glucose. You enter ketosis and your body "theoretically" burns fatty acids from your dietary fats. Not bodyfat. This doesn't even allow you to go into keto.

        Also note even if we do train hard if we are in a surplus and we are depleted of glucose via training or low carb diets we still have a glycogen store and amino acids. Fatty acids are the2nd to last thing our body wants to use for energy. We in truth don't even use 1/2 of our glycogen stores.
      1. EatMoar's Avatar
        EatMoar -
        Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
        Switching one macro to another does not produce the effects this post mentions. It will not burn bodyfat as fuel. It will burn glucose. You enter ketosis and your body "theoretically" burns fatty acids from your dietary fats. Not bodyfat. This doesn't even allow you to go into keto. Also note even if we do train hard if we are in a surplus and we are depleted of glucose via training or low carb diets we still have a glycogen store and amino acids. Fatty acids are the2nd to last thing our body wants to use for energy. We in truth don't even use 1/2 of our glycogen stores.
        Our body uses fatty acids before amino acids. If your body starts breaking down protein you're in big trouble because of all the nitrogenous waste it produces. That would only occur if you were starving. The body uses glycogen then fatty acids and of course depending on your insulin levels.

        I actually backloaded a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I felt good with no carbs before the gym, carbs don't like me and I don't like them, I felt less watery and i was lean and yet still maintains my mass.

        I ate junk carbs 2x a week post workout but most of the time it was spiking my insulin post workout and then sweet potatoes/ brown rice for the rest of the night. Making the switch for high to low gI carbs.

        Pyro I know you're not a big believe in eating clean and what not but everyone's body is different and different things work for different people.
      1. pyrobatt's Avatar
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

        Our body uses fatty acids before amino acids. If your body starts breaking down protein you're in big trouble because of all the nitrogenous waste it produces. That would only occur if you were starving. The body uses glycogen then fatty acids and of course depending on your insulin levels.

        I actually backloaded a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I felt good with no carbs before the gym, carbs don't like me and I don't like them, I felt less watery and i was lean and yet still maintains my mass.

        I ate junk carbs 2x a week post workout but most of the time it was spiking my insulin post workout and then sweet potatoes/ brown rice for the rest of the night. Making the switch for high to low gI carbs.

        Pyro I know you're not a big believe in eating clean and what not but everyone's body is different and different things work for different people.
        Wait...what? Who said im not a believer in eating clean? Oatmeal,dried fruit and almond milk is the **** for hunger control. Satisfied me way more than poptarts. I dislike the idea that if you eat candy you're going to get fat and your gonna die.
        You know..the kinda bs people try and sell.

        Where did you get the information that I hate clean eating? If I come off as anti clean I must change the way I explain things.

        Where did you get the info your body likes to burn energy in that order?
      1. EatMoar's Avatar
        EatMoar -
        Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
        Wait...what? Who said im not a believer in eating clean? Oatmeal,dried fruit and almond milk is the **** for hunger control. Satisfied me way more than poptarts. I dislike the idea that if you eat candy you're going to get fat and your gonna die. You know..the kinda bs people try and sell. Where did you get the information that I hate clean eating? If I come off as anti clean I must change the way I explain things. Where did you get the info your body likes to burn energy in that order?
        I'm just saying you advocate always eating dirty on a lot of threads lol. I think it's just to prove the point that you can cut on anything My biochemistry book.

        And yeah I hate that crap if you eat this you'll end up fat and die. It's bs to sell whatever product they're trying to push.
      1. pyrobatt's Avatar
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
        I'm just saying you advocate always eating dirty on a lot of threads lol. I think it's just to prove the point that you can cut on anything

        My biochemistry book.
        Or make gains on anything.
      1. kisaj's Avatar
        kisaj -
        Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
        I'm just saying you advocate always eating dirty on a lot of threads lol. I think it's just to prove the point that you can cut on anything My biochemistry book.

        And yeah I hate that crap if you eat this you'll end up fat and die. It's bs to sell whatever product they're trying to push.
        Agree with both of you. I am 2 months shy of 40 and can eat anything (I don't eat junk or fast food) without caring about macros. I just adjust my workouts and calories based on whether I am bulking or maintaining. Is there the chance that I could get there a couple weeks earlier by following one of these diets? I suppose, and if that day ever comes I would look into it.
      1. pyrobatt's Avatar
        pyrobatt -
        However.... I should also say if a specific way of dieting improves your health,gets you tp YOUR specific goals,and is easy for YOU to follow..go for it. We are all in this for health/goals in fitness.

        I just don't like people wasting money. Feel like I have to speak up