Why You Should Eat More Carbs - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Why You Should Eat More Carbs

By Brynn Mannino Men's Fitness

Seven reasons you shouldn't skimp on the starches.

It's true that cutting chips, cookies, candy, and other carbs from your diet can help you uncover your abs. But if you think eliminating all the carbs is the key to reaching your weight-loss goals, we've got a few reasons to reconsider.

1) Lousy Attitude

Going too low-carb isn't just bad for your body, it's bad for your spirit. Extreme low-carb diets negatively impact your mood, says Jeannie Gazzainga-Moloo, Ph.D., R.D., a nutritionist in Sacramento, Calif.

2) Laziness

Carbs supply your muscles with the glycogen you need to hit the gym. "Without them, you may feel weaker and more apathetic about training hard," says Lona Sandon, R.D., assistant professor of nutrition at UT Southwestern.

3) Stupidity

Not eating carbs could make you dumber, according to data from the U.S. Institute of Medicine. "Going too low carb can impair brain function and reduce your ability to concentrate properly," says Dawn Jackson Blatner, R.D., author of The Flexitarian Diet.

4) A Slower Metabolism

Fueling your muscles with carbohydrates helps you get through exhausting fat-loss routines. "Your body needs a decent supply of carbs post-workout to keep that burn going as long as possible," says Amy Jamieson-Petonic, R.D., a nutritionist at the Cleveland Clinic.

5) Hunger
      Slow-digesting carbs like oatmeal take longer to enter your bloodstream and help satisfy your appetite much better than junk food. "Successfully curbing your appetite is essential for weight loss," says Sandon.

6) A Speedy Recovery

After working out, your body needs carbs to repair your muscles and get stronger. Opt for a small meal of protein and carbs 30 to 60 minutes after training. "During that window of time, the body needs nutrients to replenish, rebuild, and repair muscle tissue for the next workout," says Sandon.

7) The Bottom Line

Eating fewer calories will let you carb out in peace, according to a recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine. "Reduced-calorie diets, whether carbohydrate predominant or carbohydrate poor, a;; produce similar weight-loss results," says David W. Grotto, R.D., author of 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life.

Carb Check

Ultimately, your activity level should determine the amount of carbs you take in. Here's how to calculate your maximum daily allotment of the the muscle fuel:

Beginner/Sedentary Guys: 1 g/per pound of body weight
      Intermediate/Moderately Fit Guys: 2 g/per pound of body weight
      Advanced/Highly Active Guys: 3 g/per pound of body weight
      Additional grams of carbs should be eaten 30 to 60 minutes before physical activity.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...eat-more-carbs
      Comments 9 Comments
        truthornothin -
        Most of what was said in this article flies directly in the face of most current research. Case and point. I've been on a ketogenic diet for the last 3 months solid. Atletic performance has improved, body comp has improved immensely all without weight loss, and finally all my lifts have increased. Good cholesterol up bad cholesterol down. Zero fatigue. Blood pressure downThe carbers will just never understand that the food pyramid is defiitely upside down....and was invented by grain producers by the way. Never mind that a ketogenic diet stops seizures, slows cancer and has been proven to be very neuro protective. In fact our Government is looking at it as a way to increase the effectiveness of our warfighters
        southsideguy -
        Originally Posted by truthornothin View Post
        Most of what was said in this article flies directly in the face of most current research. Case and point. I've been on a ketogenic diet for the last 3 months solid. Atletic performance has improved, body comp has improved immensely all without weight loss, and finally all my lifts have increased. Good cholesterol up bad cholesterol down. Zero fatigue. Blood pressure downThe carbers will just never understand that the food pyramid is defiitely upside down....and was invented by grain producers by the way. Never mind that a ketogenic diet stops seizures, slows cancer and has been proven to be very neuro protective. In fact our Government is looking at it as a way to increase the effectiveness of our warfighters
        i agree 100% truth. My body comp had improved immensely from a low carb diet. A few carbs before my workout is mainly what I do.
        GrimmReaper -
        I agree with the previous two posts 100%. It is easy to site research, it is another to have the body and story to back it up.
        samo -
        I don't no why people are scared of carbs.
        I was on a high protein low carb diet for years in the fear of getting fat.
        It worked but i never went past 76kilos.
        I got so fed up with this way of eating so decided to eat more carbs.
        6 months later I'm now 85kilos and 10% body fat look fuller and never felt better.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by samo View Post
        I don't no why people are scared of carbs.
        I was on a high protein low carb diet for years in the fear of getting fat.
        It worked but i never went past 76kilos.
        I got so fed up with this way of eating so decided to eat more carbs.
        6 months later I'm now 85kilos and 10% body fat look fuller and never felt better.
        10-4 to that! We'll let the non-bodybuilders keep doing the low-carb approach to stay lean. But we'll always be bigger, leaner and stronger since we have more muscle on the frame due to higher amounts of carbs.

Muscle ultimately dictates strength, metabolism and body composition.
        Muscles need carbs and steady insulin to grow or to remain the same in size.

My speculation here is that there are FAR more endo's than there are ecto's in America which is why the "majority" of people always swear by low carb diets. Fact is, fatter people tend to have a hard time using carbs appropriately, thus, they avoid them and have success staying lean.

Guys like me, nope. I eat 400-500g per day and love life. Staying right around 11% without a lick of cardio and a half clean diet. To me, this topic is a case by case basis. It depends on your goals and your body type. It really does guys.

And just for the ketoer's - just because you increase in strength doesn't mean you increase in lean body mass. Dont confuse your increase in strength to that beause it aint taking place. You're shutting down the metabolism if anything by removing an entire macro nutrient. Stop eating junk carbs and train your body to utilize them more and you won't hate them so much.
        fueledpassion -
        One more thing - high carb diets have long been understood as the best option for athletic performance, which is true. You can't deny the basic metabolic processes that take place. Until recently, most individuals that wanted to be superfit were for athletic performance reasons, not just for the sake of looking good naked. Keeping this in mind, it is easy to understand why high carb diets have always been promoted. This study, which is probably one of hundreds, points to the fact that carbs are good for performance, at least better than their alternative low carb diets.

http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-con...rbohydrate.pdf

Another good point to make is what happens to plasma blood levels when on a low carb diet vs. high carb diet. This is something that low carber's have always overlooked in their philosophy. Each diet has it's place, as I agree that 2-3 weeks out from a bodybuilding comp you need to cut carbs out for the most part. But there are some big holes in the low carb theory that people need to be honest about.
        southsideguy -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        10-4 to that! We'll let the non-bodybuilders keep doing the low-carb approach to stay lean. But we'll always be bigger, leaner and stronger since we have more muscle on the frame due to higher amounts of carbs. Muscle ultimately dictates strength, metabolism and body composition. Muscles need carbs and steady insulin to grow or to remain the same in size. My speculation here is that there are FAR more endo's than there are ecto's in America which is why the "majority" of people always swear by low carb diets. Fact is, fatter people tend to have a hard time using carbs appropriately, thus, they avoid them and have success staying lean. Guys like me, nope. I eat 400-500g per day and love life. Staying right around 11% without a lick of cardio and a half clean diet. To me, this topic is a case by case basis. It depends on your goals and your body type. It really does guys. And just for the ketoer's - just because you increase in strength doesn't mean you increase in lean body mass. Dont confuse your increase in strength to that beause it aint taking place. You're shutting down the metabolism if anything by removing an entire macro nutrient. Stop eating junk carbs and train your body to utilize them more and you won't hate them so much.
        never said I was on a no carb diet, just low carbs around my work out. I know what how my body responds , been doing this since the late 80s, probably longer than you . Matter of fact, from the looks of your pictures , I'm bigger than you .
        samo -
        It's ok guys just eat your carbs.......
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by southsideguy View Post
        never said I was on a no carb diet, just low carbs around my work out. I know what how my body responds , been doing this since the late 80s, probably longer than you . Matter of fact, from the looks of your pictures , I'm bigger than you .
        I'm sure you are bigger than me, lol. @ 6'2" I'd hope you are brother, otherwise you'd be a skinny dude.

I don't need to be 230lbs and if I managed to be that heavy yet still lean then I wouldn't be talkin on this board in the first place. But the pic was 25lbs ago and it was the result of "low carbs". Just thought I'd add that in there...

and you sure missed the part where I said - "To me, this topic is a case by case basis. It depends on your goals and your body type. It really does guys."

Obviously you didn't read all my post. It's ok, I do it all the time too.