Understanding Kinesiology Tape - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Understanding Kinesiology Tape



      BY MARK BARROSO Men's Fitness

      Improve sports performance with kinesiology tape

      Karena WU, P.T., C.S.C.S., C.K.P.T., is the president/clinical director of ActiveCare Physical Therapy in New York. Wu shares everything you need to know about kinesiology tape, including its role in injury rehabilitation and performance.

      Men’s Fitness: What is kinesiology tape?
      Karena Wu: Kinesiology tape is an elastic tape that has a longitudinal stretch that can be used therapeutically as well as to enhance performance. It’s made of cotton over elastic fibers; it's breathable, flexible, and mimics skin’s elasticity. Dr. Kenzo Kase originally developed it back in the 1970s because he was dissatisfied with the tape available (only rigid, athletic strapping tape and another tape that had a three-dimensional stretch).

      What performance benefits does kinesiology tape have?
      Kinesiology tape provides neurosensory feedback so that you do not feel pain/discomfort as much or at all, which then helps to activate the neuromuscular response and activation of muscles. For sports, it can help to facilitate muscle contraction/endurance.

      How does kinesiology tape benefit injury rehabilitation?
      Kinesiology tape can help with fluid movement because the elastic recoil of the tape ‘lifts’ the skin, which increases the space underneath to allow for lymphatic drainage. Your lymph system is a systemic whole-body system that helps with moving fluids into and out of the area. The lymphatic system sits just under the skin so when you put the tape on, it helps to clear an area of swelling. Increased lymphatic drainage helps with tissue healing which helps speed up the healing process. You can wear it in the shower and while sleeping so it's providing therapeutic treatment 24/7.

      When should I consider kinesiology tape as treatment?
      You can apply kinesiology tape immediately after you feel pain, as pain is a perception from stimuli that tells the brain to immediately start either a healing process or protect itself so it will reduce the intensity of the inflammatory cascade of events. Kinesiology tape can be applied before ice. If you ice and then put the tape on, the adhesive in the glue won’t stick as well to the skin so you'd need to heat the glue to activate it, thereby negating the cold therapy because you have to ‘heat’ the glue to activate it.

      Where does the tape go and how do I apply it?
      Anywhere that is free of excess body hair and where it can stick to skin. To apply it, it's best to go to a healthcare practitioner (like a physical therapist or chiropractor) who has had training in kinesiology tape. Kinesio Tape, Spider Tech, and Rocktape all have taping courses. A standard roll is cut to the specific client’s intents and needs. There are also precut versions for specific body parts. You can buy it and using the instructions, tape yourself without any training.

      - See more at: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/....aU73L1rM.dpuf
      Comments 9 Comments
      1. Nihsnek's Avatar
        Nihsnek -
        Sad to see a CSCS and PT actually advocate this crap. Studies have shown the only benefit this magic tape provides is psychological.
      1. Adrena1ine's Avatar
        Adrena1ine -
        Always wondered about this.
      1. TheMovement's Avatar
        TheMovement -
        Originally Posted by Nihsnek View Post
        Sad to see a CSCS and PT actually advocate this crap. Studies have shown the only benefit this magic tape provides is psychological.
        ???? Where are these links? I've seen it work well for excessive fluid buildup and IMO it works better than a body stocking for this purpose or are you referring to something different?
      1. officefat's Avatar
        officefat -
        Originally Posted by Nihsnek View Post
        Sad to see a CSCS and PT actually advocate this crap. Studies have shown the only benefit this magic tape provides is psychological.
        I wouldn't rule this out as something to keep in your gym bag. My PT used KT to pull my shoulders back to help reduce shoulder pain caused from a pulled bicep tendon. I've also had massive wrist pain come out of nowhere that was crippling my lifts and one of the guys at my gym, a chiropractor, taped me up with KT and I was able to hit a PR. It still hurt but was definitely better and allowed me to lift while healing. I suppose regular tape would work for wrist stabilization as well, but I keep KT in my bag.
      1. keithgeiling's Avatar
        keithgeiling -
        About a year ago I had I tweak in my bicep bothering me every time I did any motion with it in the gym. I used kt tape and it was immediate! It felt like I had spent 1/2 hour warming in up when I first used the muscle! Pain wasn't totally gone but lessened quite a bit! I swear by this stuff!!!
      1. TheMovement's Avatar
        TheMovement -
        Originally Posted by officefat View Post
        I wouldn't rule this out as something to keep in your gym bag. My PT used KT to pull my shoulders back to help reduce shoulder pain caused from a pulled bicep tendon. I've also had massive wrist pain come out of nowhere that was crippling my lifts and one of the guys at my gym, a chiropractor, taped me up with KT and I was able to hit a PR. It still hurt but was definitely better and allowed me to lift while healing. I suppose regular tape would work for wrist stabilization as well, but I keep KT in my bag.
        I don't condone it as a stand alone fix but its def. a good aid to keep you moving and active
      1. Nihsnek's Avatar
        Nihsnek -
        Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
        ???? Where are these links? I've seen it work well for excessive fluid buildup and IMO it works better than a body stocking for this purpose or are you referring to something different?
        There is zero scientific evidence that the tape provides any lymphatic support. Studies also show that this magic tape doesn't provide any more benefits that regular elastic tape does. PTs are supposed to run their practice based on evidence-based results (unlike chiros) so seeing one promote this tape for its non-existent medical benefits saddens me as a PT.

        Since it was "developed" by a chiropractor (which is a profession based on pseudo-science), I am even more skeptical.

        The placebo effect is powerful, no doubt. And this tape does look cool- I will give y'all that!
      1. Usfscuba's Avatar
        Usfscuba -
        Didn't do s@hit for me
      1. TheMovement's Avatar
        TheMovement -
        Originally Posted by Nihsnek View Post
        There is zero scientific evidence that the tape provides any lymphatic support. Studies also show that this magic tape doesn't provide any more benefits that regular elastic tape does. PTs are supposed to run their practice based on evidence-based results (unlike chiros) so seeing one promote this tape for its non-existent medical benefits saddens me as a PT.

        Since it was "developed" by a chiropractor (which is a profession based on pseudo-science), I am even more skeptical.

        The placebo effect is powerful, no doubt. And this tape does look cool- I will give y'all that!
        Ok I think I got ya now, it really isnt a "wonder" tape by any means, but after seeing 3 TKA patients benefit swelling wise I recommend it personally. Im not a Dr. either but I guess a good placebo is better than nothing at times.

        Shame there wont be more Literature on it for a good while

        Log in

        Log in