• Are There Really Exercise Non-Responders?

by Will Brink BrinkZone

Are YOU An Exercise Non Responder?

Yes, some people are non responders to exercise while some are “super” responders. A recent study looked at 1000 people put on the same exercise program. The results, which I discuss in this vid, may shock you!

This is a very interesting area of research. We all know people who do the same exercise as we do, yet either don’t seem to benefit much, or benefit far more than we might expect. Having trained hundreds at this point and or communicated with many thousands more, I have seen that first hand.

Studies for decades have found most people being studied respond in a similar manner to various forms of exercise, yet there’s always been outliers who didn’t respond well (or at all) or respond well beyond average or expected.

But why that was the case was never clear. Well, that’s been looked at more closely, and what’s been found, is there’s a small % of people who are indeed “non responders” to exercise and a small % of people who are “super responders” to exercise, with most (approx 80-90%) being “normal” type responders depending on which studies you look at.

Of particular importance to the issue is modern genetic testing has actually narrowed down small group of genes “non responders” carry.

Seems pretty common sense really, but up until recently, why some respond very little to the exact same protocol others will respond well to (as measured by improvements in VO2max, strength, and other metrics) has not been well understood and put down to flaws in the study, to voodoo.

But, the effect was simply too consistent to be explained by any reasons given and something of a mystery. We now have those answers.

One study worth looking at is the The HERITAGE Family Study, specifically, as it relates to this topic, the Genetics, Response to Exercise, Risk Factors segment of this huge data set.

An interesting write up for non science types was in the NY Times Health Science section called The Workout Enigma.

There’s more Qs than answers to all this to be sure*, but, a clear picture is emerging as to the essential role of genetics in how people respond to exercise that will yield very useful info in the future such as specific tests** to tell you where people fall on the spectrum as well as which sports/activities they may be best suited for (genetically speaking) and given time and tech improvements, even actual changes to those genes.

* = Yes, some supp company will come out with ultra-gene-fixing-non responder-juice at some point, but don’t fall for that

** = several companies have emerged offering tests now but their accuracy is questionable and seems to range considerably in price and quality, so do your homework before proceeding.

- See more at: http://www.brinkzone.com/videos/are-....O31eJyWJ.dpuf
      Comments 9 Comments
        Bigcountry08 -
        I don't really know if I buy this. Is it really that your body doesn't respond to exercise, or is it that these individuals don't have the mental capability to push them selfs. I've been lifting for ten years myself, and I have seen plenty of people in the gym who go every day and never seem to obtain any gains. You can take the nice route and say that's due to genetics, or you can sit down and actually watch them and start to notice a few things. These are usually the people that do the following, never switch there routine, never pick up a heavier weight, to long of breaks between sets, and worst of all have a very low tolerance for pain.
        EatMoar -
        Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
        I don't really know if I buy this. Is it really that your body doesn't respond to exercise, or is it that these individuals don't have the mental capability to push them selfs. I've been lifting for ten years myself, and I have seen plenty of people in the gym who go every day and never seem to obtain any gains. You can take the nice route and say that's due to genetics, or you can sit down and actually watch them and start to notice a few things. These are usually the people that do the following, never switch there routine, never pick up a heavier weight, to long of breaks between sets, and worst of all have a very low tolerance for pain.
        Clearly they just don't want to push past failure and way hence why they don't grow. However I do believe some can reach their genetic capabilities earlier than others.
        weedprotein -
        Agree with both of you fellows .
        OnionKnight -
        i stopped reading after the first paragraph. could anyone who read the whole thing clue me in on if they were all on a strict controlled diet properly adjusted for their individual body sizes?

theres a reason they say diet is 80% of the battle
        Bigcountry08 -
        Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
        i stopped reading after the first paragraph. could anyone who read the whole thing clue me in on if they were all on a strict controlled diet properly adjusted for their individual body sizes?

theres a reason they say diet is 80% of the battle
        Doesn't say. Besides it shouldn't really matter how much you eat cause your body can only digest 30 grams protein at a time the rest of it just gets flushed out of the body....
        DNAMP -

Doesn't say. Besides it shouldn't really matter how much you eat cause your body can only digest 30 grams protein at a time the rest of it just gets flushed out of the body....
        Calories is more of the factor here, he never never mentioned protein. Gotta eat big to get big
        OnionKnight -
        he was being sarcastic lol
        officefat -
        This is not correct and is a bro-science myth. You only benefit anabolically from 30-40 grams of protein per serving. You will still absorb the caloric value and fully digest a 60g protein shake. search for "Layne Norton Protien" and read his article.
        SinghDaKillaa -
        I agree its just bro science.