• Take a Resveratrol Supplement in Addition to Your Red Wine - Optimal Health and Youth

By Charles Poliquin

Resveratrol is famous for being a compound found in red wine and for having anti-aging benefits. In fact, the benefits go further than just wine and beauty. Research indicates that resveratrol can raise metabolism, prevent and fight cancer, increase muscle mass, burn fat, and treat diabetes.

The main benefit of resveratrol appears to be its ability to decrease inflammation and oxidative stress thereby protecting the body against a disease-causing response. For example, a study of individuals who consumed a high-fat, high-carb meal with a 100 mg supplement of resveratrol had significantly reduced biological oxidative and inflammatory responses, indicating its benefit in reducing the risk of diabetes and atherosclerosis, particularly with a high-fat, high-carb diet. Protection against cancer and unhealthy cell proliferation is another primary benefit of taking resveratrol: It has been shown to fight colon, liver, breast, and skin cancer, among others.

Resveratrol is of particular interest to athletes and recreational trainees alike. Less inflammation following training promotes a more rapid recovery and greater strength, muscle mass, and power gains as well as potentially less soreness and discomfort following a hard workout. Try my Resveratrol PX for your inflammation needs and get an ideal dose of Quercetin—another great plant compound that reduces inflammation and improves insulin sensitivity.

Take note that researchers suggest taking a resveratrol supplement rather than getting it from wine or juice because concentrations vary widely among red wines. Plus, the recommended daily dosage is 250 milligrams, significantly more than is found in red wine.

References:
      Smoliga, J.M., Baur, J.A., Hausenblas, H.A. REsveratrol and Health—A Comprehensive Review of Human Clinical Trials. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research. 20 Jun, 2011. Published Ahead of Print.

Vang, O., Ahmad, N., Baile, C., Bur, J., Brown, K., Csiszar, A., et al. What is New for an Old Molecule? Systematic Review and Recommendations on the Use of Resveratrol. PloS ONE. 2011. 6(6).
      http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...one.0019881#s4

Chia-Chi, C., Martinez, K., Xie, G., Kennedy, A., et al. Quercetin is Equally or More Effective than Resveratrol in Attenuating Tumor Necrosis Factor-α–Mediated Inflammation and Insulin Resistance in Primary Human Adipocytes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2010. 92, 1511-1521.

Source: http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/...and-Youth.aspx
      Comments 1 Comment
        EasyEJL -
        Well, since I take resveratrol daily anyhow, I think tonite i'll supplement with some red wine :)