Squats Give More Hormone Response Than Leg Press - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Squats Give More Hormone Response Than Leg Press

From Ergo Log

Squats create a stronger anabolic stimulus in the body than equally heavy sets on a leg press machine. Sports scientists from the University of North Texas report on this in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The Texans discovered that bodybuilders synthesise more growth hormone and testosterone after a squat session than after a session on a leg press machine.

Strength training done with bars and dumbbells produces better results than using machines. Training with free weights is also better for physical coordination and stimulates more muscle groups than training with machines does. What’s more, the movements you make with free weights tend to be more natural and therefore injuries are less likely to happen.

Whether training on machines or with free weights also has different physiological effects is not known. That's why the Texans did an experiment with ten well-trained male strength athletes – average age 25 years – who trained their legs on two occasions: on one occasion doing squats and on another using the leg press. Both times the athletes did 6 sets of 10 reps. For each training session they used weights that were 80 percent of the weight at which they could just manage 1 rep [1RM].

Immediately after the session [IP], and 15 and 30 minutes later, the researchers observed that the concentration of testosterone and growth hormone in the men's blood was higher than the previous measurement. But the increase in the two muscle-building hormones was considerably higher after the squat training than after the leg-press training session.

The men found both kinds of training session equally tiring.

When the researchers calculated the amount of effort the men had expended during the two sessions, they discovered why the concentrations of growth hormone and testosterone were higher after the squat session. Although the men used more weight on the leg-press machine their exertion was 42 percent higher during the squat session.

That's because the men also had to work against their own bodyweight during the squats, and because the range of movement is greater during a squat than when using the leg press.

"At similar intensities and ratings of perceived exertion, the free weight (squat) exercise produces a greater acute hormonal response than the machine weight (leg press) exercise", the researchers summarise. "The strength and conditioning professional should therefore consider choosing free weight exercises over machine weight analogs to induce a greater acute hormonal response, as this might subsequently result in superior physiological adaptations."

The publication is based on the thesis written by the first author, Aaron Shaner. See here.

Source:
      J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print].

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/squat-produc...leg-press.html
      Comments 49 Comments
        I know -
        Gotta love squatting heavy and deep.

Been telling my fellow pump heads at my health club that they ought to squat heavy or go home.
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by I know View Post
        Gotta love squatting heavy and deep. Been telling my fellow pump heads at my health club that they ought to squat heavy or go home.
        I sort of do a 50/50 split between squat and leg press. Leg press is an awesome exercise IMO!
        I know -
        Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post

I sort of do a 50/50 split between squat and leg press. Leg press is an awesome exercise IMO!
        That's a ridiculous idea

100% squats bro or go home

Leg press is for girls!!!!
        NattyForLife -
        That's a ridiculous idea 100% squats bro or go home Leg press is for girls!!!!
        Please explain how some of the top BBs have massive oak legs and they do leg press exercises.
        I know -

Please explain how some of the top BBs have massive oak legs and they do leg press exercises.
        My legs are beast and I won't go near a girly leg press bro.
        EatMoar -
        Lulz leg pres is lame. Everyone does half reps anyway because they like to ego lift. Squat or leave. I hate going big on leg press.
        NattyForLife -
        You still failed to answer my question.
        NattyForLife -
        Dude leg press is just another tool to impressive legs. Its like bench and incline, you wouldnt just do them two exercises for the rest of your life now would you. Every exercise is a tool for you to grow. Use them all.
        I know -

Dude leg press is just another tool to impressive legs. Its like bench and incline, you wouldnt just do them two exercises for the rest of your life now would you. Every exercise is a tool for you to grow. Use them all.
        Front squat
        Sumo squat
        Side squat
        Squat with heals up
        Squat with varied leg stance and foot stance
        Back squat
        Cambor squat

Bro legs press is for girls
        TheMovement -
        Big numbers on both are great! If Bb Squats are the only thing in your closet then your simply missing out, bottom line
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
        Big numbers on both are great! If Bb Squats are the only thing in your closet then your simply missing out, bottom line
        ^^^^^^^ THIS!
        NattyForLife -
        Front squat Sumo squat Side squat Squat with heals up Squat with varied leg stance and foot stance Back squat Cambor squat Bro legs press is for girls
        Quit hating on the leg press. Its a great exercise, just like squats. They both have their place in building some impressive legs.
        JD261985 -
        Cool AM has had like 30 articles on this smh
        Quatie -

They are all on more steroids then most people. Anything really would make them grow.
        I know -
        Originally Posted by Quatie View Post

They are all on more steroids then most people. Anything really would make them grow.
        Including girly leg press
        I know -

Quit hating on the leg press. Its a great exercise, just like squats. They both have their place in building some impressive legs.
        What's your problem bro
        NattyForLife -
        What's your problem bro
        I dont have a problem. Lets finish this already. The article is true; squats do make your body release more hormones than leg press, but leg press is still a good exercise.
        EatMoar -

I dont have a problem. Lets finish this already. The article is true; squats do make your body release more hormones than leg press, but leg press is still a good exercise.
        Claims Natty, takes r0idZ. Who cares what you do as long as you're growing
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
        Claims Natty, takes r0idZ. Who cares what you do as long as you're growing
        Dude im just 20 yrs old. Im not messing my endocrine system up. It doesnt stop developing until your 22-26 yrs old.
        Rang30fMotion -
        Including girly leg press
        hahaha. The argument is better than the article.