Sprinting Vs Steady Cardio - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Sprinting Vs Steady Cardio

By Jim Stoppani, PhD Flex

OPENING ARGUMENTS

Defense: Bodybuilders have been doing slow-and-steady cardio for decades in order to drop bodyfat while maintaining muscle.

Prosecution: A boatload of research shows that doing high-intensity interval training, such as sprinting and resting, works much better to burn off bodyfat.

EVIDENCE

University of Western Ontario (London, Ontario) researchers had male and female subjects follow a six-week cardio program. One group did slow-and-steady cardio for 3060 minutes a day, three times per week. The other group only did four to six 30-second sprints with four minutes of rest between sprints three times per week (a total of just 23 minutes of total cardio per workout).

The subjects doing the sprints lost more than twice as much bodyfat as the slow-and-steady cardio group.

VERDICT: SPRINTS

Sprinting for only 69 minutes per week doubled the amount of fat subjects burned off compared to those who were doing slow-and-steady cardio for 90180 minutes per week. The slow-and-steady group did up to 30 times more exercise per week, but only lost half the amount of bodyfat. Sprinting is the clear winner due to the better results and the reduced amount of time you need to devote to it.

SENTENCING

Find an area that gives you enough distance to sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds straight. Do six sets of sprints with 14 minutes of rest between sprints. And feel free to do more than six for even greater fast loss.

- See more at: http://www.flexonline.com/training/t....OQ1H5eP9.dpuf
      Comments 7 Comments
        mountainman33 -
        My issue with this:

No mention of diet details

No mention of other types of training the subjects may have done outside of the study.

Unfortunately this article isn't as cut and dry as it seems.
        Bigcountry08 -
        I would imagine this mostly applies to individuals who follow a good diet at or below maintenance.

I would be intrested in trying this out considering I barely have time to weight train. It would be nice to knock something out fast in the morning like this when I have my kids.
        Mikeyjd -
        A link to the study would be more helpful than this article.
        mountainman33 -
        Originally Posted by Mikeyjd View Post
        A link to the study would be more helpful than this article.
        I'm all for HIIT, but there's so musch info missing. It's almost as if they're purposefully leaving info out.
        Mikeyjd -
        Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post
        I'm all for HIIT, but there's so musch info missing. It's almost as if they're purposefully leaving info out.
        I've spent about 20 minutes looking for the study. No luck so far, but I think it's from 2011.
        Drumbo -
        In case you guys missed it, here is an awesome article on the same subject from about a week ago...

anabolicminds.com/forum/content/anaerobic-aerobic-fat-4822/

Quite an interesting read, enjoy!
        jbryand101b -
        It'd be Inteteresting to see if they did a dexa scan to see pre an post muscle mass.

As well as metabolic testing to see how well they body adapted to using fat for fuel, or if it became more efficient at using carbs for fuel.