Shredding Serious Fat Without Losing Muscle - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Shredding Serious Fat Without Losing Muscle

By Sean Harley - CutandJacked.com

1. HIIT Cardio Over Endurance

HIIT (high intensity interval training) will not only help you shred your body fat faster than endurance cardio, itís going to help you hold onto more of that hard earned muscle mass as your cutting as well. Itís the old analogy of the sprinter and the marathon runner. Look how they train and look at their body types. Marathon runners train at a steady pace for long amounts of time while sprinters train by going as hard as they can for a short amount of time followed by a recovery period to get the heart rate back down and then they go hard again. Marathon runners generally have less muscle and more body fat while sprinters have low body fat and hold an impressive amount of muscle mass. Fat burning is a strategy of hours not minutes and interval training will keep your metabolism burning fat for hours after your done while endurance training allows you to come back to normal minutes after being finished.

I have two favorite routines I use for my HIIT training when I need to get my abs ripped for a photo shoot or a competition.

30/30 Ė 30 seconds fast followed by a 30 second rest interval, repeat. This can really be done on any cardio machine or even on foot outside. My choice is usually the stairmill or stair climber. Start by setting the machine to itís slowest setting and just go through the motions for the first 30 seconds. Then at the 30 second mark, ramp up the speed to as fast as you can handle for 30 seconds. It should be at speed that makes you struggle to get 30 seconds. After 30 seconds bring the speed back down to super slow and focus on catching your breath, calming your heart rate, and getting your legs back under you during this short 30 second rest. Repeat.

10 second incline sprints, 50 sec rest Ė Set the treadmill to a 15 degree incline and while straddling the belt, crank the speed up to a speed thatís going to make you struggle to run at for 10 seconds. When the treadmill hits the 1 minute mark, carefully step on to the front middle of the belt holding yourself with your hands until you get your stride, then pump your arms and sprint for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds lift yourself up and straddle the belt. You need to be running at a speed fast enough that you wouldnít be able to run for 12 or 15 seconds. For the next 50 seconds, just standing there catch your breath, calm your heart rate, and get your legs back. At the 2 minute mark, get back on for another interval.

You only have to do 10-15 minutes of either of those routines at the end of a weight workout to kick start that resting metabolism for hours and hours after youíre done. If you can go much longer, you didnít go hard enough during speed intervals.

2. Its All About Nutrient Timing

You get all of your daily calories from either fats, proteins, or carbs. The body needs all of these to function properly and when one of them is absent youíre going to crave it like thereís no tomorrow! In the ideal diet, you can incorporate all 3 three of the macros while shredding fat and hanging onto muscle mass. I even put on 4 lbs of muscle in the last month while dieting down to a shredded 3.6% bf for my last show. These principles will also allow you to have more energy and not go brain dead while dieting. When I write a diet for myself or a client I get much more specific about percentages of carbs at certain times but for the general population these rules of thumb will work.

Protein should be the constant. Get about 40 grams (25 for women) every 2- 3 hours that your awake. For fats and carbs, don't mix them in the same meal. You need both but when having them together you increase the chance of storing bodyfat. Eat all carbs in 3 meals, breakfast, pre workout, and post workout. Guys take about 50 grams in each meal and ladies get 30. In all other meals add good fats. I use flax seed oil. Take spoonful of flax down with the 40 grams of protein your eating.

If I only have a couple of weeks to get ripped I have a couple of carb rotations that I go to but I donít like to do those for more than 2-3 weeks.

3. Be Prepared

The number one reason why people stray from their diet plan is that the good food they know they should be eating isnít immediately available and when they find themselves starving in the middle of the afternoon they turn to a quick fix and shove down the first thing they can get their hands on. Often youíll find that you may be craving a cheeseburger and ice cream but once youíve eaten that healthy, scheduled meal that craving goes away. You must have meals planned and prepared before leaving the house for the day. Know exactly what youíre going to eat and when youíre going to eat it and stick to the plan. This means making a habit of cooking all food, getting them into individual containers and taking them with you.
      Whatever you do, if you screw up and have an unplanned cheat meal or miss meal, get right back on track with the next meal. Too often I see people throw their whole day away because they messed up one on meal.

4. Keep Lifting Heavy

If youíve built all that muscle mass by lifting heavy in the 6-10 rep range donít suddenly cut the weights in half and start doing sets of 20 with the hopes of burning more fat. Your muscles became that size because they had to get accustomed to moving heavy weight, if they donít have to move that heavy weight anymore they will decrease in size. Heavy training will also do a number on your EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) which keeps the resting metabolism elevated, allowing you to burn fat for hours after a workout.

5. Water, Water, Water!

Youíve heard it a million times and Iím going to tell you again. Drink water throughout the entire day! Muscles are made of up of approximately 75% water and they donít get hydrated through chicken breast and salad. Keeping hydration levels up has a number of benefits. If dieting water is going to help keep your appetite in control and also have a positive effect on resting metabolism as your body works to process all that water. Itís also going to help hydrate your muscles, which in turn keeps ATP (your muscles energy source) levels high. I add a BCAA supplement to my water a couple of times a day. Not only does this add a little flavor to that bland water, it also helps support lean muscle mass while cutting!

Source: http://cutandjacked.com/Shredding-Se...le-Sean-Harley
      Comments 23 Comments
        j4ever41 -
        So you basically grew into your show, what else were you doing?
        max d -
        How the heck is mixing fats and carbs going to give you a higher chance of addng fat? And adding 4lbs of muscle cutting to 4%, must have been a serious cycle. I hope no newb reads the nutrient timing paragraph!
        JD261985 -
        Why is he saying he gained 4 pounds of muscle while cutting 3 percent bf without mentioning his use of steroids. ****ing pathetic. He speaks for his metabolism along with the drugs he used to get ripped. Naturals should never take advice from these guys. Their natural metabolism is probably non existent
        wiseman -
        Originally Posted by max d View Post
        How the heck is mixing fats and carbs going to give you a higher chance of addng fat? And adding 4lbs of muscle cutting to 4%, must have been a serious cycle. I hope no newb reads the nutrient timing paragraph!
        Increased insulin will shuttle the fats to be stored rather than burned. Studies have shown this.
        max d -
        Doesn't eating fats with carbs minimize the insulin spike? And as far as hormones go you wouldn't want to be spiking insulin all day due to the crashes and its effects on the body, just after workouts. Last and most importantly, if your at a deficit then the whole solo carb thing in the big picture shouldn't matter at all because your body won't be adding fat or muscle.
        wiseman -
        Doesn't eating fats with carbs minimize the insulin spike? And as far as hormones go you wouldn't want to be spiking insulin all day due to the crashes and its effects on the body, just after workouts. Last and most importantly, if your at a deficit then the whole solo carb thing in the big picture shouldn't matter at all because your body won't be adding fat or muscle.
        Spinning insulin is good in the morning and after workout ecause it's very anabolic. You're right that the fat will lower the GI of the Neal but the fat will still attach its self to the insulin. Idk but I saw good results keep fats and carbs away from each other.
        JD261985 -
        You should in fact eat healthy fats with carbs especially fats with lots of omega 3's like almonds, walnuts, MCT oil. It will lower the Insulin spike. Bottom line you are not going to burn fat and gain muscle without steroids and if you are natural you WILL lose some muscle in a cut. Anyone who tells you different is simply in denial or trying to sell you something
        max d -
        Might experiment with splitting carbs and fats after I'm done with my cut. It will give me an excuse to eat cereal again hahah.
        max d -
        http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/b...t-combination/

The bottom line the guy came to is that seperating macros would yield a minor benefit but gets people to think about what they are eating. Most nutrionist say its bs though.
        fueledpassion -
        Research what insulin does and how fats metabolize.

Substantial carbs = strong insulin response
        Strong insulin response = turn off lypolysis
        Turn off lypolysis = fat does not get used for energy

This ultimately leads to dietary fat going straight to the fat cells and the carbs u just ate get shuttled into the muscle and liver. So yes, too much of both at the same time guarantees fat storage one way or another.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
        Why is he saying he gained 4 pounds of muscle while cutting 3 percent bf without mentioning his use of steroids. ****ing pathetic. He speaks for his metabolism along with the drugs he used to get ripped. Naturals should never take advice from these guys. Their natural metabolism is probably non existent
        Thats just not true man. U might not see gains like he did but u cant call his advice null and void just because u cant do it urself in a natty state. The roid card is gettin old man thats never the way to progress. I've made more gains with physiological hormone levels than I have with 1.5g of androgens in my system - all because training and diet ARE so much better now than they used to be.

Once u leave this board and all the broscience of carbless diets and natty guys do this, dont do that..etc etc..you'll see that alot of techniques that the pro's and amatuers use are universal and sound under any hormonal environment.

Nutrient timing and training dictate hormonal environment. Study insulin and macro nutrient metabolism and you'll see that this advice is sound under any circumstances, not just the "roid users".
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by wiseman View Post

Spinning insulin is good in the morning and after workout ecause it's very anabolic. You're right that the fat will lower the GI of the Neal but the fat will still attach its self to the insulin. Idk but I saw good results keep fats and carbs away from each other.
        Yes, but fats have no interaction with insulin and they do not influence the size of the insulin pulse. They are converted rather easily (albeit slowly) to fatty acid droplets and since insulin shuts off all catabolic activity in the body (I.e. lypolysis, gluconeogenesis, proteolysis etc) dietary fats are not able to be used as energy. Insulin does not pull fats into places, it pulls glucose into places which, if eating too many carbs, inevitably it will put those carbs into fat cells AFTER the glucose has filled the liver glycogen and the remaining has been converted to fatty acid droplets. This also requires energy to do.

This is why eating fats and carbs together is not a good idea to do often.

I'm not referring to u but there are A TON of members on this board who do not understand how the body metabolizes foods at all and then get upset when someone like this author dispels their understanding...
        max d -
        If your in a deficit none of the dietary fat will be stored, which was the whole point of the article since it was about getting shredded. Im sure if your eating over maintanence there is some benefit, especially around workouts, of not eating fats but from what I have read and experienced it doesnt make a major difference. Do you have research to back up that it is materially beneficial to split macros?

Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

This ultimately leads to dietary fat going straight to the fat cells and the carbs u just ate get shuttled into the muscle and liver. So yes, too much of both at the same time guarantees fat storage one way or another.
        fueledpassion -
        If your in a deficit none of the dietary fat will be stored, which was the whole point of the article since it was about getting shredded. Im sure if your eating over maintanence there is some benefit, especially around workouts, of not eating fats but from what I have read and experienced it doesnt make a major difference. Do you have research to back up that it is materially beneficial to split macros?
        Well, there is plenty of research backing up success of low fat diets and weight loss. That doesn't mean that high fat diets dont work though. I can find it though. John Parillo has endless study references indicating such though.

And yes, ur right about caloric deficit.
        max d -

I found a round table with layne norton, alaln aragon, and some other top guys in the field and they all say that seperating macros does not make a difference.
        http://alanaragon.com/bodybuilding-n...ne-norton.html

here is the summary of a study done: A study conducted by Golay and colleagues compared a diet with equal macronutrient content and substrate percentages; that differed only in how the substrates were consumed (mixed diet vs. food combining). The results were no difference in weight loss. Here are the exact results reported by the researchers. “Results: There was no significant difference in the amount of weight loss in response to dissociated (6.2 +/- 0.6 kg) or balanced (7.5 +/- 0.4 kg) diets. Furthermore, significant decreases in total body fat and waist-to-hip circumference ratio were seen in both groups, and the magnitude of the changes did not vary as a function of the diet composition. Fasting plasma glucose, insulin, total cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrations decreased significantly and similarly in patients receiving both diets. Both systolic and diastolic blood pressure values decreased significantly in patients eating balanced diets. The results of this study show that both diets achieved similar weight loss. Total fat weight loss was higher in balanced diets, although differences did not reach statistical significance. Total lean body mass was identically spared in both groups. CONCLUSION: In summary at identical energy intake and similar substrate composition, the dissociated (or 'food combining') diet did not bring any additional loss in weight and body fat”. Actually looks like a slight increase in fat loss with mixed diet (balanced diet). We have tons of anecdotal evidence that denies the need for food combining. We have evolved on a mixed diet. With all of that said food combining may be beneficial regarding calorie control. Once you eliminate an entire macronutrient from a meal this can go a long way in decreasing total caloric intake. If this is what you need to do to control energy intake feel free to do so.
        max d -
        Well, there is plenty of research backing up success of low fat diets and weight loss. That doesn't mean that high fat diets dont work though. I can find it though. John Parillo has endless study references indicating such though.

And yes, ur right about caloric deficit.
        My disagreement with you isn't over high vs low fat diets but your statement about mixing macros leading to stored fat... Calories in general over maintenance lead stored fat.
        fueledpassion -
        Right, but the body doesnt regulate its metabolism on a 24hr basis, it does it on an immediate basis. So while u are right that total calories in any given period matters most for weight loss, the body only needs a certain amount at that time for the required bodily functions.

For instance, lets say mid-day, meal #3n no super high need for glycogen.

You decide to eat 100g carbs and 50g fats and a little protein at that meal. Lets also say a hefty amount of those fats are saturated, too.

So after eating those carbs, this fully saturates the muscle and liver with glycogen, meanwhile a buttload of insulin is in the bloodstream, WHICH SHUTS OFF FAT METABOLISM. At this point, the body must use the carbs from the blood as its primary source of energy. No catabolic activity such as lypolysis can occur at this point because insulin is present and active. Yet, you also have 50g of fat currently being digested. Where does it go?

Do u think it gets used as energy? Or does it get stored as body fat first?

Now it might be that within 24hrs u get into a net negative on calories, later burning some fat calories that were earlier put in. This is why I have a problem with keto diets though because its constantly spinning the wheels by putting fat away then turning around and burning it up.

I prefer high carb dieting because its less efficient and tends to raise metabolism considerably more, allowing the body's BMR to eventually be raised. This in turn requires a less extreme calorie deficit to get good results.

This link basically calls out that high carb diets lead to less fat metabolism. While it doesnt expand on this subject, I can tell u its because of the effects of insulin during carbohydrate feeding. This supports the idea of reducing fat intake when eating carbs..

http://www.collegesportsscholarships...-nutrients.htm

I like this article, which does a better job of explaining the key role of insulin in fat and carb mstabolism.

https://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com...omment-page-1/
        Mcconneje -
        Thats just not true man. U might not see gains like he did but u cant call his advice null and void just because u cant do it urself in a natty state. The roid card is gettin old man thats never the way to progress. I've made more gains with physiological hormone levels than I have with 1.5g of androgens in my system - all because training and diet ARE so much better now than they used to be.

Once u leave this board and all the broscience of carbless diets and natty guys do this, dont do that..etc etc..you'll see that alot of techniques that the pro's and amatuers use are universal and sound under any hormonal environment.

Nutrient timing and training dictate hormonal environment. Study insulin and macro nutrient metabolism and you'll see that this advice is sound under any circumstances, not just the "roid users".
        I get so tired of people dismissing big, ripped guys as being on 'roids. To the limits of heredity, anyone who is devoted, disciplined, and SMART enough can do it. I tell my clients that the most important part of their body in reaching their physical girls is their BRAIN. One has to train hard, but also train and eat smart. This is one of only two sites like this I follow, precisely because you guys give good, scientific, no gimmicks advice. Thanks.
        IRONPOPE -
        i just dont see the science behind WE NEED carbs. I eat no carbs as i am cutting but plenty protien and my gym power has gone up.. not down and i see no ill effects. The body can use protien for fuel when there are no carbs available and the good thing is that there is no insulin spike and fat burning is not shut off. IF you can eat a bunch of sugar and lean out while doing it.... more power to you.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by IRONPOPE View Post
        i just dont see the science behind WE NEED carbs. I eat no carbs as i am cutting but plent protien and my gym power has gone up.. not down and i see no ill effects. The body can use protien for fuel when there are no carbs availabl and the good thing is that there is no insulin spike and fat burning is not shut off. IF you can get eat a bunch of sugar and lean out while doing it.... more power to you.
        Yeah thats true. Proteolysis and gluconeogenesis happens at an increased rate when carbs are depleted. But it really depends on a few things whether or not this is helpful to ur goals.

Two questions u have to address before moving forward on a carbless diet.

1) Are u willing to sacrifice muscle mass
        2) Are u willing to take anti-catabolic/MPS enhancing drugs to reduce muscle wasting?

If yes to either of those or both, then forge ahead! If no to both, then reconsider the protocol.