• Should Obesity Be Stigmatized?

From Science Daily

Arguing that obesity "may be the most difficult and elusive public health problem the United States has ever encountered" and that anti-obesity efforts having made little discernible difference, Daniel Callahan, co-founder and President Emeritus of The Hastings Center, proposes a bold and controversial approach to fighting the epidemic.

Callahan says that the public health community can learn from one of the most successful public health campaigns: the anti-smoking campaign. A primary strategy has been to stigmatize smokers, he says, making it clear that their behavior is not only unhealthy for them but is also socially unacceptable. While the public health community has decisively rejected the stigmatization of obesity, Callahan directly challenges that rejection.

In "Obesity: Chasing an Elusive Epidemic," an article in the Hastings Center Report, Callahan says that what he calls "stigmatization lite," if used carefully, could provide an important strategy in the strikingly unsuccessful effort to help the 67 percent of Americans who are overweight or obese lose weight. He cites estimates that no more than 10 percent of those who try to lose weight succeed in the long run.

Callahan does not deny that stigmatization can do harm, such as increasing the risk of discrimination in the workplace and health care. But he believes that that risk would be minimized by "stigmatization lite," in which people who are overweight consider the threat of discrimination itself as a danger to be avoided: "don't let this happen to you!" His aim is to complement, not replace, public health strategies that would bring to bear a strong government hand, making use of laws and regulations and subsidizing healthy foods, good medical counseling, and special efforts at obesity prevention programs for children.

Story Source:
      The above story is reprinted from materials provided by The Hastings Center, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. For further information, please contact the source cited above.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...Weight+Loss%29
      Comments 66 Comments
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
        Lol@ Jarrod from Subway :/ A reality show man? really? That's the example you wanna use? They get paid to be on that show,it's an incentive coupled with the fact that no money comes out of their own pockets.
        jarrod said it not me,
        they dont get paid unless they win something
        and then explain me or my clients? to say it doesnt work period is ignorant and you know it! your better than that southpaw cmon
        DAdams91982 -
        You want to attempt to fix a very complex problem with a simple solution of labeling someone.

Where does it exactly end? Considering there is new research everyday showing a strong genetic link for obesity. Do they get stigmatized? Lumped in right along with the person who just cannot put down the fork?

I don't claim to have any answers to this problem, but I do know when making people feel bad just to make them feel bad is a terrible idea.
        DAdams91982 -
        And let's really not get this twisted. The public has already attached a stigma to the obese.

Hasn't exactly resolved our issues has it?
        southpaw23 -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
        jarrod said it not me,
        they dont get paid unless they win something
        and then explain me or my clients? to say it doesnt work period is ignorant and you know it! your better than that southpaw cmon
        Lol. Your clients come to you after they decide for "themselves." There is difference between being internally motivated versus being exposed to external shame which is a trigger for these individuals. And in regards to these individuals not being paid that is wrong, they are offered free services that normally carry a cost, in exchange for being on the show.
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
        You want to attempt to fix a very complex problem with a simple solution of labeling someone.

Where does it exactly end? Considering there is new research everyday showing a strong genetic link for obesity. Do they get stigmatized? Lumped in right along with the person who just cannot put down the fork?

I don't claim to have any answers to this problem, but I do know when making people feel bad just to make them feel bad is a terrible idea.
        you cant blame genetics on everything! i hate that! just because they store fat easier becuase they lack a deleted section next to a telomere isnt an excuse to be unhealthy. they might not ever be a fitness model but they can still be a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle so that argument is out.

and i prefaced some of my original comments by saying this isnt the cure or the fix to obesity, but it most certainly will help.

and who said you have to make them feel bad!! your associating stigmas with making fun and thats not the case, theres also a hypersenstivity problem and a PC problem in this country which is also contributing to the problem. the truth hurts sometimes
        southpaw23 -
        you cant blame genetics on everything! i hate that! just because they store fat easier becuase they lack a deleted section next to a telomere isnt an excuse to be unhealthy. they might not ever be a fitness model but they can still be a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle so that argument is out.

and i prefaced some of my original comments by saying this isnt the cure or the fix to obesity, but it most certainly will help.

and who said you have to make them feel bad!! your associating stigmas with making fun and thats not the case, theres also a hypersenstivity problem and a PC problem in this country which is also contributing to the problem. the truth hurts sometimes
        What is your definition of "stigma" and how would you go about applying to this segment of the population?
        MANotaur -
        Lol. Your clients come to you after they decide for "themselves." There is difference between being internally motivated versus being exposed to external shame which is a trigger for these individuals. And in regards to these individuals not being paid that is wrong, they are offered free services that normally carry a cost, in exchange for being on the show.
        so my clients coming to me saying "i wanna be healthier because im embarrased by my weight and size" or "i feel like a terrible father/mother because im setting a horrible example for my child" or "i need to lose weight because a 3 yearold pointed out that i was fat in burger king the other day" isnt external exposure to shame? it took these external triggers for them to realize they have a problem and to get help.

and a free service doesnt equate to being paid because the contestants are still making a financial sacrafice by leaving their jobs, which they are not paid. so there is an invested interest.
        MANotaur -
        discontent with a person on socially characteristic grounds that are perceived or applied, and serve to distinguish them, from other members of a society because of their traits outward or inward

Erving Goffman was a sociologist that wrote a few books about stigmas and stereotypes and the dangers and advantages asocitated with them. look into them it can be a real insight to things like this
        his defination is 'the process by which the reaction of others, spoils normal identity'

he then further explains how theres three distinct types of stigmas which are....
        1.Overt or external deformations, such as scars, physical manifestations of anorexia nervosa, leprosy (leprosy stigma), or of a physical disability or social disability, such as obesity.
        2.Deviations in personal traits, including mental illness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and criminal background are stigmatized in this way.
        3."Tribal stigmas" are traits, imagined or real, of ethnic group, nationality, or of religion that is deemed to be a deviation from the prevailing normative ethnicity, nationality or religion.
        DAdams91982 -

Absolutely that argument is not out.

People here tell the skinny hardgainer to juice on up to get past their genetics... WTF.. cant have it both ways.

What do you think stigma's are? No one is hypersensitive, since grade school, who do you think got picked on the most and called names? How much so called truth has helped our youth? Personally I kinda get tired of the "Fat Ass" narrative and offer help to the people that want it. You aren't gonna shame someone into putting down the fork.
        southpaw23 -
        so my clients coming to me saying "i wanna be healthier because im embarrased by my weight and size" or "i feel like a terrible father/mother because im setting a horrible example for my child" or "i need to lose weight because a 3 yearold pointed out that i was fat in burger king the other day" isnt external exposure to shame? it took these external triggers for them to realize they have a problem and to get help.

and a free service doesnt equate to being paid because the contestants are still making a financial sacrafice by leaving their jobs, which they are not paid. so there is an invested interest.
        Wrong, do some research. The contestants are given a weekly stipend up to 900 a week, in addition to covering food costs. All airplane tickets, hotel accommodations, etc., for the contestants and potential cast members are taken care of by NBC, and during the casting process itself there was a $50 per diem to cover food costs. In addition to providing free training = all of which have monetary value.
        southpaw23 -
        discontent with a person on socially characteristic grounds that are perceived or applied, and serve to distinguish them, from other members of a society because of their traits outward or inward

Erving Goffman was a sociologist that wrote a few books about stigmas and stereotypes and the dangers and advantages asocitated with them. look into them it can be a real insight to things like this
        his defination is 'the process by which the reaction of others, spoils normal identity'

he then further explains how theres three distinct types of stigmas which are....
        1.Overt or external deformations, such as scars, physical manifestations of anorexia nervosa, leprosy (leprosy stigma), or of a physical disability or social disability, such as obesity.
        2.Deviations in personal traits, including mental illness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and criminal background are stigmatized in this way.
        3."Tribal stigmas" are traits, imagined or real, of ethnic group, nationality, or of religion that is deemed to be a deviation from the prevailing normative ethnicity, nationality or religion.
        Look, I respect your posts. But I have a difficult time understanding them. You gotta learn how to string together a proper sentence and correct the numerous grammar and spelling errors in your posts. (I hope you get what I just did)
        MANotaur -
        Absolutely that argument is not out.

People here tell the skinny hardgainer to juice on up to get past their genetics... WTF.. cant have it both ways.

What do you think stigma's are? No one is hypersensitive, since grade school, who do you think got picked on the most and called names? How much so called truth has helped our youth? Personally I kinda get tired of the "Fat Ass" narrative and offer help to the people that want it. You aren't gonna shame someone into putting down the fork.
        people use genetics as crutch far too often and its irritating. im not one that advocates juicing to surpass genetic plateaus. i advocate juice for those who wanna juice.

and i do offer help to those who need it! i dont go around calling people fatass or making fun but the truth is out there. fat people arent always aware of the dangers associated with obesity, and if it takes a PR campaign to make somepeople have a "come to jesus" moment about their health by all means lets give it a shot.
        MANotaur -
        Wrong, do some research. The contestants are given a weekly stipend up to 900 a week, in addition to covering food costs. All airplane tickets, hotel accommodations, etc., for the contestants and potential cast members are taken care of by NBC, and during the casting process itself there was a $50 per diem to cover food costs. In addition to providing free training = all of which have monetary value.
        still at the risk of losing their jobs, most employers frown upon missing months of work at a time on a voluntary basis.
        and I know that I'm absolutely horrendous at spelling and typing. My mind works way faster than both my fingers and my mouth and it gets me in a pickle. my dissertation has been a nightmare and thank heaven for spell check and english undergrads.
        DAdams91982 -
        people use genetics as crutch far too often and its irritating. im not one that advocates juicing to surpass genetic plateaus. i advocate juice for those who wanna juice.

and i do offer help to those who need it! i dont go around calling people fatass or making fun but the truth is out there. fat people arent always aware of the dangers associated with obesity, and if it takes a PR campaign to make somepeople have a "come to jesus" moment about their health by all means lets give it a shot.
        That's right.

Get over your cleft lip already kid.
        MANotaur -
        That's right.

Get over your cleft lip already kid.
        talkin to me about apples and oranges? cleft lip and obesisty? really? so your advocating that a genetic disposition is the same as a genetic deformity or mutation? really?? REALLY!!??

so because i have a genetic disposition to prostate cancer because im a carrier for the gene means i should just roll over and accept the fact that im gonna die cause my grandpa had it and my dads got BPH? gimme a break
        MANotaur -
        and just so you know...its not a cleft lip its cleft palate not saying that i know a whole lot about genetic disorders...but i did write my masters thesis on cervical and breast cancer...soo yeah....

lets not get petty though
        DAdams91982 -
        talkin to me about apples and oranges? cleft lip and obesisty? really? so your advocating that a genetic disposition is the same as a genetic deformity or mutation? really?? REALLY!!??

so because i have a genetic disposition to prostate cancer because im a carrier for the gene means i should just roll over and accept the fact that im gonna die cause my grandpa had it and my dads got BPH? gimme a break
        Hello Pot.

I only utilized such an analogy because you felt the need to do so in the last debate thread. Using an extreme example.

Your inability to view the entire issue though is a bit reprehensible. You are putting a band aid over a bullet wound. To say the increasing science coming to light on genetic mutations has no bearing, and to just get over it, is ignorant to the issue at hand. We are just starting to scratch the genetic surface on all research too.

Ironically I wasn't even using that as a main arguement topic... I just asked if they are lumped in the same group. You went on a crusade about using it as a crutch. You never answered me though... do you think people like this want to be fat? They just say, I'm genetically screwed, so might as well keep going?

A complex problem has no easy solution.
        DAdams91982 -
        and just so you know...its not a cleft lip its cleft palate not saying that i know a whole lot about genetic disorders...but i did write my masters thesis on cervical and breast cancer...soo yeah....

Two different things. Cleft lip and palate are separate, but often are seen together, but not always.
        southpaw23 -

Which is astonishing because you write like a drunk person talks at 3 in the morning. I kid! :)
        MANotaur -
        Hello Pot.

I only utilized such an analogy because you felt the need to do so in the last debate thread. Using an extreme example.

Your inability to view the entire issue though is a bit reprehensible. You are putting a band aid over a bullet wound. To say the increasing science coming to light on genetic mutations has no bearing, and to just get over it, is ignorant to the issue at hand. We are just starting to scratch the genetic surface on all research too.

Ironically I wasn't even using that as a main arguement topic... I just asked if they are lumped in the same group. You went on a crusade about using it as a crutch. You never answered me though... do you think people like this want to be fat? They just say, I'm genetically screwed, so might as well keep going?

A complex problem has no easy solution.
        i think theres very few people in the world that want to be fat, but unfortunately great scientific discoveries and breakthroughs far too often get abused and misused. i do see the entire issue at hand and i understand that there are way to many issues to just single out one, but the point is that something, somewhere, has to be done in order for people to make the decision to get the help they need themselves

and yeah i have a habbit of doing that lol just ask southpaw.

but your absolutely right it is a complex problem and it doesnt have an easy answer, but we have to start somewhere. i just feel that sugar coating isnt the way to do it. granted that stigmas isnt the best, ive just found that with my personality and my experiences, its a least a good way to get the ball rolling.