Should Obesity Be Stigmatized? - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Should Obesity Be Stigmatized?

From Science Daily

Arguing that obesity "may be the most difficult and elusive public health problem the United States has ever encountered" and that anti-obesity efforts having made little discernible difference, Daniel Callahan, co-founder and President Emeritus of The Hastings Center, proposes a bold and controversial approach to fighting the epidemic.

Callahan says that the public health community can learn from one of the most successful public health campaigns: the anti-smoking campaign. A primary strategy has been to stigmatize smokers, he says, making it clear that their behavior is not only unhealthy for them but is also socially unacceptable. While the public health community has decisively rejected the stigmatization of obesity, Callahan directly challenges that rejection.

In "Obesity: Chasing an Elusive Epidemic," an article in the Hastings Center Report, Callahan says that what he calls "stigmatization lite," if used carefully, could provide an important strategy in the strikingly unsuccessful effort to help the 67 percent of Americans who are overweight or obese lose weight. He cites estimates that no more than 10 percent of those who try to lose weight succeed in the long run.

Callahan does not deny that stigmatization can do harm, such as increasing the risk of discrimination in the workplace and health care. But he believes that that risk would be minimized by "stigmatization lite," in which people who are overweight consider the threat of discrimination itself as a danger to be avoided: "don't let this happen to you!" His aim is to complement, not replace, public health strategies that would bring to bear a strong government hand, making use of laws and regulations and subsidizing healthy foods, good medical counseling, and special efforts at obesity prevention programs for children.

Story Source:
      The above story is reprinted from materials provided by The Hastings Center, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. For further information, please contact the source cited above.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...Weight+Loss%29
      Comments 66 Comments
        TexasGuy -
        It certainly shouldn't be swept under the politically correct rug. If we are worried about health care costs now give it a generation.

Not to mention "eye candy" is almost an extinct phrase in the general public. Boulevard cruising at the beach just isn't what it used to be, more like a whale watch tour.
        southpaw23 -
        Shaming people into leading a healthier lifestyle isn't the correct path either.
        rabz -
        Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
        Shaming people into leading a healthier lifestyle isn't the correct path either.
        What's the difference in shaming people into not being a fat, lazy drain on the healthcare system and shamim them into not smoking themselves to death? I hate anti-smoking ads. I hate anti booze ads commercials. That said I don't smoke and do drink but its none of anyone's business whether I do or not and for society to try and say fat is beautiful and okay is absurd when they pound that crap down smokers necks. I'm not the pinnacle of health but I will say the media picking and choosing who gets picked on for what is total bs. If they want to whine about people being fat and truly want to see the health of citizens improve, then a anti fatass campaign would at least make the 5th trip to the buffet weigh a little heavier on the lard asses minds.
        MANotaur -
        dont let obesity get sucked into the PC trail, its just as dangerous as smoking, benge drinking, and drug abuse! we stigmatize methheads, smokers, and drunks; why not add the obese to the mix.
        Oscar -
        not to mention it being a national security issue, we get invaded who's gonna fight back when half of America cant climb a flight of stairs without needing to catch their breath
        southpaw23 -
        It's definitely a matter of national security. I mean fat people should be able to form a human shield in case anything goes down. The fat Avengers.
        MANotaur -
        southpaw? you agree??! lol
        southpaw23 -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
        southpaw? you agree??! lol
        No. Lol. I agree that it needs to be addressed but I disagree with the approach promoted here.
        MANotaur -
        i dont see the problem with it. everybody has the right to do with their bodies as they seem fit but if theyre gonna ride the dole-wagon and be on govt healthcare, then we the people that are paying for it should be able to stigmatize them in anyway we like.

stigmas arent bad, theyre true. People know that smoking is bad just like they know being fat is bad. You can blame it on genetics or daddy issue or whateverthefuhck you want, but the truth remains the same.

eventually, if its stigmatized and sterotyped, obese people will want to stop being the subject of commercials and being socially taboo and theyll do something about it, much like smokers today.

are there still alot of smokers, sure. is that gonna change? i really dont care. but the point is since its been made a stigma less and less people are smoking because they dont wanna fall under that sterotype. The same thing will befall the fattys
        southpaw23 -
        We should also stigmatize while we're at it, people who possess limited education. They graduate high school go into low paying jobs, offer very little back in the form of taxes, offer the most complaints, thinks everyone is out to get them and that their victims. These kinds of people aren't offering anything back either except a ton of uninformed opinions. Oh wait, that was offensive.
        DAdams91982 -
        Nice idea. Let's take a growing handful of people who already eat too much, and get them guilt ridden... a trigger for most obese people to eat.
        southpaw23 -
        ^^^Exactly.
        MANotaur -
        We should also stigmatize while we're at it, people who possess limited education. They graduate high school go into low paying jobs, offer very little back in the form of taxes, offer the most complaints, thinks everyone is out to get them and that their victims. These kinds of people aren't offering anything back either except a ton of uninformed opinions. Oh wait, that was offensive.
        already happening! ever seen jersey shore or buckwild or honeybooboo?? and theres nothing offensive about the truth. its just the truth, like it or not. and it should be more stigmatized than it already is.

Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
        Nice idea. Let's take a growing handful of people who already eat too much, and get them guilt ridden... a trigger for most obese people to eat.
        and smokers to smoke and junkies to get a fix?? whats your point?
        southpaw23 -
        already happening! ever seen jersey shore or buckwild or honeybooboo?? and theres nothing offensive about the truth. its just the truth, like it or not. and it should be more stigmatized than it already is.

and smokers to smoke and junkies to get a fix?? whats your point?
        His point is a rather easy one to comprehend, for many people with weight problems, it's an issue of addiction. Now looking at it from that standpoint, addicts have triggers, i.e. trauma etc. Making fun of someone, or shaming them into better eating habits simply does not work. It only serves as a trigger for them to exacerbate the behavior.
        DAdams91982 -
        What are you talking about MAN?

I was a smoker at once, and even with the stigma, i was never guilt ridden into going to smoke.

You are trying to compare apples to refrigerators here.

What you are attempting to equate is physical addiction to an external drug. And comparing it to an emotional addiction to nourishment.

If you play that, might as well go to the batters box with a hockey stick... about as useful.
        MANotaur -
        What are you talking about MAN?

I was a smoker at once, and even with the stigma, i was never guilt ridden into going to smoke.

You are trying to compare apples to refrigerators here.

What you are attempting to equate is physical addiction to an external drug. And comparing it to an emotional addiction to nourishment.

If you play that, might as well go to the batters box with a hockey stick... about as useful.
        lol love the baseball analogy and i see your point,

stigmas and guilt dont work for everyone but it does work for a lot of people. and whether or not its an emotional issue or a physical issue is irrelevant. Theres plenty of junkies that are out there that are junkies cause of daddy issues, as there are plenty of bulemics and anorexics.

Im not saying that its the end all be all solution, but it seems to work to an extent. At the very least it makes people think about and internalize their issues and could provoke them to get help.

another thing is a stigma isnt poking fun of or demonizing, its pointing out consistencies in a given demographic. you can easily equate stigma with stereotype...no body likes those words becuase they can also be interchanged with "truth" 80% of the time.

stigmas can be pointed out without blatant making fun.
        southpaw23 -
        lol love the baseball analogy and i see your point,

stigmas and guilt dont work for everyone but it does work for a lot of people. and whether or not its an emotional issue or a physical issue is irrelevant. Theres plenty of junkies that are out there that are junkies cause of daddy issues, as there are plenty of bulemics and anorexics.

Im not saying that its the end all be all solution, but it seems to work to an extent. At the very least it makes people think about and internalize their issues and could provoke them to get help.

another thing is a stigma isnt poking fun of or demonizing, its pointing out consistencies in a given demographic. you can easily equate stigma with stereotype...no body likes those words becuase they can also be interchanged with "truth" 80% of the time.

stigmas can be pointed out without blatant making fun.
        "but it does work for a lot of people."....Who does it work for? Lol.

Stereotypes for the most part often hold some truth, but that is not the issue here. The issue here is one of addiction and the triggers involved in that addiction. Shame is a trigger, pain is a trigger, so by those triggers, you'll only end up making the problem worse. Has making fun of drug addicts/shaming them, solved the drug addiction problem?
        MANotaur -
        you might not have but some people are. I know alot of people that are smokers and use it as a coping mechanism, my brother is one of them. If he feels guilty about ANYTHING, he starts to chain smoke.

people are indviduals, and not everybody has the same way of dealing with their issues.
        but with issues like smoking and obesity, the health risks involved are always common denominators.

smokers always have to worry about lung cancer, stroke, heart disease and other disease.
        the obese and overweight have to worry about renal failure, hepatic failure, heart disease, heart attack, stroke, and a slew of other conditions. it doesnt matter why they eat or why they smoke, the risks are the same
        MANotaur -
        "but it does work for a lot of people."....Who does it work for? Lol.
        worked for me
        worked for jarrod from subway
        works for just about every contestant on the biggest loser
        seems to have worked for more than half my clients

so yeah...it works
        southpaw23 -
        worked for me
        worked for jarrod from subway
        works for just about every contestant on the biggest loser
        seems to have worked for more than half my clients

so yeah...it works
        Lol@ Jarrod from Subway :/ A reality show man? really? That's the example you wanna use? They get paid to be on that show,it's an incentive coupled with the fact that no money comes out of their own pockets.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.