• Red Meat Bad For Your Brain?

By Shawn Radcliffe Men's Fitness

Finishing off a juicy steak can be the highlight of your night out, but when that special meal becomes a regular occurrence, you could be harming your brain over the long term.

Previous studies have linked saturated fats in red meat to an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and death. This type of fat is also in fatty dairy foods like ice cream and whole milk, and packaged foods such as cookies and crackers.

A new study by researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital found that these sources of “bad” saturated fats might also affect your brain function, including memory.

Researchers looked at data from 6,000 women over the age of 65 who were part of a larger women’s health study. At the start of the study, they interviewed the women about their diets. Each woman completed three cognitive—mental—function tests over a four-year period, one about every two years.

Total fat intake didn’t affect brain function, but women who ate the most saturated fats had the worst changes in their cognitive function and memory. Women who ate the most monounsaturated fats—such as those found in olive oil, avocados, and nuts—fared the best.

Early declines in brain function and memory can put people at risk of more serious conditions later, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. This study shows that small dietary changes could have a potentially huge impact later on.
      “People will want to think about substituting out saturated fat in favor of monounsaturated foods,” study author Dr. Olivia Okereke told Time. “Making that substitution might be a way to prevent cognitive decline in older people.”

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...arm-your-brain
      Comments 13 Comments
        Torobestia -
        Non-scientists should not be allowed to discuss science.
        kohai66 -
        So a group of 6000 women were studied and those with a higher saturated fat diet had issues with mental challenges later in life, and this makes red meat bad? I'm not getting it.

What about all the other crappy foods they were eating? What about their lifestyle prior to the age 65?
        What about the women who had high monounsaturated fat diets but still ate a lot of red meat, where did they rank?

I wonder ... was this funded by the "Eat more chicken" association?
        anathemax -
        Another sign of decline in brain function: Reading mensfitness.com. Coincidence?!
        ka0tik -
        Originally Posted by kohai66 View Post
        So a group of 6000 women were studied and those with a higher saturated fat diet had issues with mental challenges later in life, and this makes red meat bad? I'm not getting it.

What about all the other crappy foods they were eating? What about their lifestyle prior to the age 65?
        What about the women who had high monounsaturated fat diets but still ate a lot of red meat, where did they rank?

Chic-fil-a?
        kohai66 -
        Originally Posted by ka0tik View Post

Chic-fil-a?
        Exactly ... lol
        Raydox101 -
        Imbecile writing this
        andrewk369 -
        Haha comparing cookies to natural saturated fats was the first sign that this article was a joke.
        cwernstedt -
        Please, don't publish more BS from Men's Fitness. Thanks.
        snagencyV2.0 -
        so much fail in this article.
        i would start numerical points of such, but feel it would be a fruitless effort..
        looks like the masses already sense this piece is full of donkey poo - starting right at the SOURCE of information, lulz.
        Lutztenways -
        Love these articles. They always make the 24 hour news cycle and are a quick simplistic headline of total misinformation....

But, they keep steak prices down for those of us capable of critical thinking.
        GuyverX -
        Originally Posted by kohai66 View Post

Like everyone else I'm calling foul.
        People do these uncontrolled studies on a daily basis to get some agenda across.
        Seems like some people have no idea of what causality actually is.
        kohai66 -
        Originally Posted by Lutztenways View Post
        Love these articles. They always make the 24 hour news cycle and are a quick simplistic headline of total misinformation....

But, they keep steak prices down for those of us capable of critical thinking.
        On the simplistic note ... when you've had a bad day at the gym and you need a good pick -me-up these articles are good for a chuckle .... and laughter is the best medicine ....
        MurphyMove -
        They ought to do a study of trained male bodybuilders and red meat...but then I suppose our secret would get out!