The Reasons You Should Be Squatting - AnabolicMinds.com
    • The Reasons You Should Be Squatting

By Jeremey DuVall, M.S., CPT Men's Fitness

Squatting variations like barbell back squats and front squats are a favorite among powerlifters, bodybuilders and other athletes for one reason: they work. Not only are they effective for building an insanely strong lower body; they also deliver a number of numerous benefits including increased hormone release and improved flexibility.

Read on to find out why you should put aside your pride and make squats a staple of your weekly routine.

1. Increased hormone release

Total body exercises are potent stimulators for muscle-building hormones like testosterone and growth hormone. Because they involve almost every muscle in the body, the cause a great stimulus for growth. Load up a challenging weight to reap the anabolic hormonal benefits that will help you build muscle everywhere - not just your lower half.

2. Enhanced core strength

Since squats are typically loaded from top to bottom, either in the form of a barbell or a dumbbell, your core has to work double-time to prevent injury and maintain an upright posture. In terms of building your six-pack, heavy compound exercises like squats should be a staple. Include front squats which involve a barbell held in front of your body for an increased core demand and to build insane midsection strength.

3. Improved flexibility

By moving your body through a full range of motion, you’ll not only build strength; you’ll boost flexibility as well. Deep squatting helps to increase range of motion in the entire hip complex. The benefit: reduced back pain and an easier time getting around in daily activities or sporting events.

4. Reduced chance of injury

Boosting the muscles surrounding your knees and hips is a quick method to reduce your chance of injury when jumping, running, and doing almost any activity. Squats build your glutes, hamstrings, and quad muscles - primary stabilizers when you’re cutting and moving on the playing field. Include both single and double leg varieties to help bullet-proof your lower body.

5. Stronger lower body

This may seem like common sense, but squatting varieties are key for developing lower body strength. Although machine exercises like leg curl and leg extension may target the quads and hamstrings, squats use almost every lower body muscle in unison building real-world strength. Since you aren’t locked into a machine, you’re also building stability and exposing potential imbalances between your left and right side. If you notice your hips shifting from side to side during the movement, put aside your ego and work single leg exercises to shore up your hips. You’ll be better off for it.

6. Increased vertical jump

Having hops on the court isn’t only correlated with genetics. The ability to extend your hips powerfully is a key factor in increasing your vertical. Luckily, squats build hip extension strength. As a bonus, squats not only help you produce power; they also help you absorb it as well. That translates to less injuries coming down from getting a rebound. Include both heavy squats to build strength and lighter, quicker reps to boost explosiveness and see yourself dunking in no time.

7. Improved workout efficiency

Forget spending a few hours in the gym hopping from machine to machine in search of a good workout. Introduce a few sets of heavy squats into your routine, and you’ll see what you’ve been missing. This total-body move will jack your heart rate and leave your legs burning in no time. You’ll have more time left over to hit your core or add some foam rolling and stretching into your routine.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...neglect-squats
      Comments 18 Comments
        Bodock -
        Bros know you got to get your squats on!
        Heathen -
        squat or die!
        XeriCSnipE -
        Seriously? Hormone Release has been proven to be broscience. Cant we get these things fact checked before we let thousands of people read them and then tell their friends?
        Whacked -
        #8: not being built like an upside down triangle
        #9: Not having bird legs
        #10: 70% of the muscle in your body is in yout legs. What "bodybuilder" can truly neglect 70% of his muscles?
        geanes -
        Originally Posted by XeriCSnipE View Post
        Seriously? Hormone Release has been proven to be broscience. Cant we get these things fact checked before we let thousands of people read them and then tell their friends?
        It's not complete broscience. The hormone release is negligible, though.
        SLAMtheCLAM -
        Reason for squatting some little girl in china is warming up with you max
        jay49 -
        Heaps of info there, great story! Squats are the core of my leg day. I try to variate between wider with toe out and slightly closer with feet straight.
        JRam -
        Originally Posted by XeriCSnipE View Post
        Yup, you're right about hormone release, etc., being "broscience." There is absolutely no scientific evidence, that I'm aware of, supporting this claim. In fact, you can squat heavy all day and night but if you're running a caloric deficit your legs are not going to grow. Nutrition is the main factor in bodybuidling and muscle hypertrophy.
        geanes -
        Originally Posted by JRam View Post

Yup, you're right about hormone release, etc., being "broscience." There is absolutely no scientific evidence, that I'm aware of, supporting this claim. In fact, you can squat heavy all day and night but if you're running a caloric deficit your legs are not going to grow. Nutrition is the main factor in bodybuidling and muscle hypertrophy.
        Yes and you can eat 100cals a day while on ungodly amounts of steroids and get smaller. What you said makes no sense.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by geanes View Post
        Yes and you can eat 100cals a day while on ungodly amounts of steroids and get smaller. What you said makes no sense.
        You know what he meant. Technically, testosterone boostage doesnt equate to more mass unless you eat more. I think he was saying diet plays a much larger role than the negligible increase in t-levels because you do squats every week.

Not tryin to offend you man but comin on here with 6 posts and already callin a dude out is a bad way to start. Sometimes people take stuff too literally. It's good to "read between the lines" of what someone is trying to say. You'll avoid alot of unnecessary arguments that way.
        geanes -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

You know what he meant. Technically, testosterone boostage doesnt equate to more mass unless you eat more. I think he was saying diet plays a much larger role than the negligible increase in t-levels because you do squats every week.

Not tryin to offend you man but comin on here with 6 posts and already callin a dude out is a bad way to start. Sometimes people take stuff too literally. It's good to "read between the lines" of what someone is trying to say. You'll avoid alot of unnecessary arguments that way.
        I don't see why my post count matters lmao

Of course nutrition is more important. But saying what was said in the article is completely untrue because you won't grow if you don't eat enough is a useless post. It's like someone giving the advice to do incline bench instead of flat to help bring your chest up, and him saying the advice is bad because you won't gain if you aren't eating enough. Completely unrelated and useless.

The advice to switch to incline, or that squatting may help release hormones, are aids to your lifting that can help you gain slightly more as long as the rest of your **** is on point.
        JRam -

Of course nutrition is more important. But saying what was said in the article is completely untrue because you won't grow if you don't eat enough is a useless post. It's like someone giving the advice to do incline bench instead of flat to help bring your chest up, and him saying the advice is bad because you won't gain if you aren't eating enough. Completely unrelated and useless.

The advice to switch to incline, or that squatting may help release hormones, are aids to your lifting that can help you gain slightly more as long as the rest of your **** is on point.
        Where did i say that that "article is completely untrue"? Nowhere. And by the way, can you point me to any peer-reviewed studies that show that squatting leads to a release of GH? There may be some out there but I'm not familiar with them. Tell me what they are. The reason I commented is that I find many inexperienced trainers think that if they work really hard in the gym, doing squats or whatever, they're going to make size gains regardless of their nutritional regimen. They may make some strength gains for a while but they won't be getting any bigger. Too many people IMHO are constantly switching routines or exercises when the real issue is what they're eating (or not, as the case may be).
        fueledpassion -

Having a low post count and talking down to another board member right off the bat is a terrible first impression. Yeah, it matters. People learn very quickly to tune out to your voice (or text). It's something quite effectively taught in communication classes actually.

Its almost like you walking in on the first day of your new job and calling BS on everything your co-workers are doing. See how well that goes over..
        fueledpassion -
        Having a low post count and talking down to another board member right off the bat is a terrible first impression. Yeah, it matters. People learn very quickly to tune out to your voice (or text). It's something quite effectively taught in communication classes actually.

Its almost like you walking in on the first day of your new job and calling BS on everything your co-workers are doing. See how well that goes over..

Come here to learn. Then you teach. Then you lead. You've got to go through the process just like everyone else. We approach this board in an effort to discuss things respectfully and to learn something through it.
        geanes -
        No offense meant to anyone. Tell me I'm wrong though.

You speak as if I was just born and this board is my crib right now.
        fueledpassion -
        No offense meant to anyone. Tell me I'm wrong though.

You speak as if I was just born and this board is my crib right now.
        No, your were not just born. However, I think its a good thing to approach things like a child.

Sorry, you weren't just born. But first impressions are very real. If the impression is a bad one, it won't matter if you are right or wrong anymore. I've learned this the hard way in the past. That's all I'm implying and I'm officially finished buffering the conversation b/w the two of you.
        geanes -

No, your were not just born. However, I think its a good thing to approach things like a child.

Sorry, you weren't just born. But first impressions are very real. If the impression is a bad one, it won't matter if you are right or wrong anymore. I've learned this the hard way in the past. That's all I'm implying and I'm officially finished buffering the conversation b/w the two of you.
        Haha okay then. I really don't mind if anyone thinks I'm a dick. Sorry though guys.
        geanes -

Ha okay. I don't mind what anyone thinks. Sorry though I guess.