Planning Your Diet - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Planning Your Diet

By Dan Trink C.S.C.S Men's Fitness

For all of our fans who shoot us questions on our Twitter and Facebook Page, this one is for you. Each week, we will tap into our pool of editors and experts to help with any questions or challenges you are having with your fitness regimen. This week, Dan Trink C.S.C.S, and founder of Trink Fitness answers questions about dieting and how to do it correctly.

1) Dieting Pitfalls — asked by Tyler Brooks:
      "What are some dieting mistakes people always make when trying to lose weight? I don’t want to make them myself."

“I’d say there are three very common mistakes being made by those looking to trim down their waistlines. The first is under eating. In an effort to get fast results, these dieters cut their food intake way down which slows their metabolism and sets up an environment where they have to keep cutting calories to maintain their results. The second is focusing on calorie counting before focusing on food quality. Eating whole, unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods should be your first step when improving your nutritional intake. Lastly is believing that you will be able to out train a poor diet. Working out is great way to support weight loss, however many people tend to justify bad food choices by claiming they’ve ‘worked it off at the gym’. Trust me, it takes more than a 20-minute jog to burn off a couple of slices of cake.”

2) Bodily Reactions to Different Foods — asked by Peter Wagner:
      "Do people react differently to carbs, fats and proteins?"

"Yes. In general, each of these macronutrients will have different, but sometimes overlapping, effects in your body. Carbohydrates provide the most readily available energy source, replace muscle glycogen and have the largest effect on blood sugar and insulin. Protein is responsible for repairing and generating muscle tissue while fats are critical to the health of your cellular walls and hormonal environment. While all these macronutrients have many functions which are similar in each of us, there are differences to how any one person processes them compared to someone else. For example, some people can optimize body composition on a diet made up of mainly proteins and fats. While others are very carb tolerant and have an easier time managing blood sugar levels. There are many factors which effect how you will react to any macronutrient including insulin sensitivity, genetics, ancestory and when the nutrients are ingested (for example, post workout)."

3) Intermittent Fasting — asked by Harry Shultz:
      "Why have I seen so many success stories around Intermittent Fasting?"

"With the rise in popularity of any new diet trend, you are more likely to read and hear about those who have used it and had success. Some claim the principles of IF are grounded in mimicking the way we most likely ate thousands of years ago and that is the key to it’s effectiveness. Others believe that the fast creates a more optimal hormonal environment, creating less fat storage and more energy usage. Some skeptics claim that it simply gives you a smaller time frame to ingest food, so you are merely taking in less overall calories. Personally, I believe that biggest challenge with intermittent fasting is the ability to make good, quality food choices after not having eaten for long stretches. I find that people tend to eat the worst or easiest available foods when they are the hungriest. As with any nutrition plan, it’s best to do your research and decide if that plan meets your personal health, lifestyle and body composition goals."

4) Uncomfortable Eating — asked by Armin Helms:
      "Whenever I eat protein and veggies I always get so much stomach discomfort. What is that? Can I prevent it?"

"More likely than not, it is the veggies that are causing that discomfort. Vegetables naturally release gas into your digestive system which can cause bloating and gastric distress. You can start by cutting out the main offenders, those vegetables which tend to cause the most problems such as broccoli and cabbage. You can also make sure your vegetables are cooked, as raw vegetables usually cause the most problems. Finally, you can try improving the quality of your GI tract through probiotics and digestive enzymes. A naturopath or other health care provider should be able to help you if you decide to go that route."

5) Fad Diets to Avoid — asked by Harrison Chetney:
      "Why are there always so many different fad diets out there? What are the worst ones you know of?"

“Fad diets exist because it’s in our nature as humans to want the ‘latest and greatest’ idea that is going to get us the quickest results with the least effort. Unfortunately most fad diets are simply good marketing techniques rather than good nutritional advice. I’d steer clear of any diet plan that promises unreasonably fast results, relies soley on eliminating any macronutrient or food type entirely, recommends only eating one or two foods (remember the 'Grapefruit Diet' anyone?) or include thermogenic stimulants (diet pills) as component of the plan. It may sound overly simplistic, but eating quality foods in the right quantities at the correct times is still the best way to go."

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...it-5-diet-plan
      Comments 3 Comments
        monstermash -
        Cut out broccoli? No thanks.
        VolcomX311 -
        Not true about IF equates to poor food choices due to hunger. That sounded like a third hand presumption and a bad one.
        jcksnstrngth -
        Anybody out there had bad experience with IF?