Paleo Diet Shopping List - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Paleo Diet Shopping List

By Tracy Miller Men's Fitness

When you’re grocery shopping on the Paleo Diet, one thing’s for sure: you won’t be putting many boxes and cans in your cart.

Get ready to shop the perimeter of the store for whole foods, or better yet, head to a farmer’s market for the freshest—and purest—meat and produce you can find. (Specialty health food shops may also carry some Paleo-friendly items the big chains don’t, but you should be able to find most of these foods at your go-to grocer.)

So, are you ready to overhaul your diet? We talked to Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint, and PaleoPlan.com’s nutrition therapist, Neely Quinn, to come up with a list of Paleo-approved foods—and basic guidelines— to get you started.
      MEATS

Here are your 10 essential animal proteins. Buy them fresh (rather than processed and cured), hormone- and antibiotic- free, and naturally raised—whenever possible.
      Beef
      Buffalo/Bison
      Chicken/Turkey (take note: all poultry should be eaten skinless)
      Duck
      Eggs
      Game Meats (think: rabbit, venison, wild boar)
      Goat
      Lamb
      Organs (kidneys, livers, marrow, sweetbreads, and tongue)
      Pork

FISH

Now, this is by far from an exhaustive list of Paleo-friendly fish, but these are the most common varieties you’ll see in a market or on a menu. Always go for wild-caught fish over farmed, if you can, and eat the canned kind—like tuna and salmon—sparingly.

Anchovies
      Bass
      Cod
      Flounder
      Halibut
      Mahi Mahi
      Salmon
      Sardines
      Shellfish (including crab, clams, lobster, mussels, scallops, and shrimp)
      Tuna

FRUITS

There are no fruits that aren’t allowed on Paleo, and most experts recommend eating them at every meal. So instead of a list—we’re giving you three simple guidelines to think about when buying:

Limit high-sugar fruits, such as bananas, dates, mangoes, pineapple and watermelon, especially if you’re trying to lose weight.

Buy dried fruits, but consume them in moderation (read: sprinkle a spoonful on your salad or mix a few in when you’re snacking on nuts). They have a greater concentration of sugars, so they pack a bigger glycemic punch—meaning they aren’t the best for keeping your stomach full and your appetite stable.

Don’t forget avocados. They’re technically a fruit as well as a healthy fat.

VEGETABLES

Just like with fruit, almost every vegetable is permissible on Paleo: dark leafy greens, roots, lettuces, fresh and dried herbs, peppers, pumpkin, broccoli, seaweed… the list goes on and on. But here are two notable exceptions:
      Starchy tubers, like potatoes and sweet potatoes, should be consumed in moderation—or not at all, if you want to be very strict.
      Legumes—we’re talking chickpeas, lentils, peas, peanuts and soybeans—are not a part of the Paleo diet, and need to be left completely off your list.

NUTS AND SEEDS

Nuts and seeds aren’t just a popular Paleo snack—they’re great for adding crunch to recipes. You’ll want to buy them raw and unsalted or in their flour or butter forms, and it’s worth noting (just one more time) that peanuts are actually a legume—and not on the Paleo plan.
      Your essential nuts: Almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, Macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios, and walnuts.
      Your essential seeds: Flaxseed, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds.

OILS

Oils are an important source of healthy fats on Paleo, but you won’t find vegetable oil, canola oil or peanut oil on this list. Why? These oils are highly refined or contain a greater concentration of polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acids (which are linked to inflammation in the body) and fewer omega-3’s (which reduce inflammation). Instead, buy these Paleo-approved oils in their most unprocessed form—you’ll want to look for words like “extra virgin” or “unrefined” on the label.

Avocado oil (for salad dressings or low-heat cooking)
      Coconut oil (for all kinds of cooking)
      Flaxseed oil (not recommended for cooking, but can be used as an omega-3 supplement)
      Olive oil (for all purposes—cooking, sautéing, mixing into salad dressings)
      Sesame oil (for low-heat cooking or seasoning cooked dishes)
      Walnut oil (use in small amounts for seasoning or on salads)

BEVERAGES

Most bottled beverages aren’t Paleo-friendly—including fruit juices, which pack a high dose of concentrated sugar. It probably goes without saying that you shouldn’t add your own sugar to any of the below, and when buying from the store, check the ingredients list to make sure no sweeteners, real or processed, have been added.

Almond milk
      Coconut milk
      Coconut water
      Coffee
      Soda water
      Teas
      Water

SWEETS AND TREATS

Good news—alcohol is allowed on Paleo. Just make it an occasional treat, and avoid overdoing it in one sitting. As for indulgences, heart-healthy dark chocolate is the most Paleo-friendly one around. And if you’re looking to add a touch of sweetness to your meal, try raw unprocessed honey (the kind most often sold locally at your farmer’s market—not in a jar at the grocery store); coconut products (like coconut milks, creams or saps); and Stevia, which is considered the most natural of the no-calorie sweeteners.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...-shopping-list
      Comments 11 Comments
        fueledpassion -
        What is the benefit of removing Legumes?

What is the ultimate goal of Paleo that other diets cannot achieve?
        bpmartyr -
        Paleo = broscience. Overly restrictive for no scientific reason.
        CopyCat -
        Originally Posted by bpmartyr View Post
        Paleo = broscience. Overly restrictive for no scientific reason.
        To say it is bro science is bro science at its finest right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
        rrritchaye -
        Subd for later read
        Slader1@gmail -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

Legumes have higher than optimal concentrations of inflammatory compounds and anti-nutrients like lignans. Like grains and most dairy, humans aren't adapted to thrive on this food group.

The paleo diet, in my own terms, is in pursuit of optimal health, using evolutionary biology and scientific evidence as guidelines. As an ex-bodybuilder turned health-nut, I can attest that while you CAN and probably will get big on a diet full of wheat, cheese, preservatives and factory farmed meats; you will NEVER be as healthy as you could be, and your body will hate you for it. I've reached my muscular genetic potential using a highly restrictive paleoish diet focusing on organic plants animals and eggs. My testosterone has skyrocketted, I'm rarely ill, and I'm enjoying superb mental clarity. I've never felt better in my life.
        Vote4pedro -

Another Fad ... While u should eat natural and unprocessed food some of the Paleo strictness is non sense ... Nothing wrong with Legumes, they are high In fiber and theyr solid carbs that pack on good protein ... En of story

Originally Posted by Slader1@gmail View Post

Legumes have higher than optimal concentrations of inflammatory compounds and anti-nutrients like lignans. Like grains and most dairy, humans aren't adapted to thrive on this food group.

The paleo diet, in my own terms, is in pursuit of optimal health, using evolutionary biology and scientific evidence as guidelines. As an ex-bodybuilder turned health-nut, I can attest that while you CAN and probably will get big on a diet full of wheat, cheese, preservatives and factory farmed meats; you will NEVER be as healthy as you could be, and your body will hate you for it. I've reached my muscular genetic potential using a highly restrictive paleoish diet focusing on organic plants animals and eggs. My testosterone has skyrocketted, I'm rarely ill, and I'm enjoying superb mental clarity. I've never felt better in my life.
        Most Caveman or pre historic man that ate "Paleo style" didn't live past 30-40

Paleo had a good POV but don't forget is 2013 and NOT 2000 BC ... The advancements in the supplementation world and food discoveries are to our advantage ... Eat primarily natural and non procesed foods, supplement the rest ...
        CopyCat -
        Originally Posted by Vote4pedro View Post

Another Fad ... While u should eat natural and unprocessed food some of the Paleo strictness is non sense ... Nothing wrong with Legumes, they are high In fiber and theyr solid carbs that pack on good protein ... En of story

Paleo had a good POV but don't forget is 2013 and NOT 2000 BC ... The advancements in the supplementation world and food discoveries are to our advantage ... Eat primarily natural and non procesed foods, supplement the rest ...
        To say they did not live past 30 or 40 is simply wrong to say as well if it is an argument against the paleo diet. You seem to forget about the many many other causes of death such as environmental factors, he'll or things like the invention of penicillin. These things play a much larger role in their life expectancy. Not their diet. They are able to determine Paleolithic mans rate of things such as diabetes and heart disease compared to now and it favors them. Simply put.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
        fueledpassion -
        I hear both sides clearly. But I think its foolish to say Paleo is superior simply based on various studies on what men ate 4000 yrs ago. Pretty sure men ate whatever was available to them. Some had various mammals as a choice, others predominantly ate fish perhaps, and still others ate rice and veggies.

Since we have it all here in present day America, I would like to entertain the idea that if we knew what each food is composed of and knew what micronutrients we needed for optimum health, couldnt we figure out that the point is to meet micronutrient and caloric requirements? And not so much on how to get those requirements?

At the end of the day, overall health is never measured by diet alone, but its clear that many things determine overall health such as Maslows Hierarchy of Needs, or stress levels, or even amount of physical exercise plays a huge factor as well. Its the combination of all things that make up a healthy life, not the removal of starches or legumes or whatever the health and science community is tryin to sell at that point in time. Everything in moderation will always trump the extreme approaches, imo.

Good for u Paleoist dieters, I'm happy u found something. I'm also certain that removing green beans and fresh purple hull peas is doing nothing for me but removing quite possibly the greatest balanced sources of fibrous carbs from my diet. Not to mention, peas are loaded with protein, too.
        rugger48 -
        Originally Posted by Vote4pedro View Post

They didn't live past 30 or 40 because if quality of life. I'm not for or against paleo diets.
        Lukef2000 -
        I hear both sides clearly. But I think its foolish to say Paleo is superior simply based on various studies on what men ate 4000 yrs ago. Pretty sure men ate whatever was available to them. Some had various mammals as a choice, others predominantly ate fish perhaps, and still others ate rice and veggies.

Since we have it all here in present day America, I would like to entertain the idea that if we knew what each food is composed of and knew what micronutrients we needed for optimum health, couldnt we figure out that the point is to meet micronutrient and caloric requirements? And not so much on how to get those requirements?

At the end of the day, overall health is never measured by diet alone, but its clear that many things determine overall health such as Maslows Hierarchy of Needs, or stress levels, or even amount of physical exercise plays a huge factor as well. Its the combination of all things that make up a healthy life, not the removal of starches or legumes or whatever the health and science community is tryin to sell at that point in time. Everything in moderation will always trump the extreme approaches, imo.

Good for u Paleoist dieters, I'm happy u found something. I'm also certain that removing green beans and fresh purple hull peas is doing nothing for me but removing quite possibly the greatest balanced sources of fibrous carbs from my diet. Not to mention, peas are loaded with protein, too.
        I don't think they are trying to say it's superior, everyone is different and responds differently to various dieting methods. The paleo diet is simply a diet, a way of eating, not superior to any other diet just a personal preference.