Optimal Melatonin Dosing - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Optimal Melatonin Dosing

From Ergo Log

A few years ago the EU banned supplements containing more than 0.3 mg melatonin. European regular melatonin users didn't need to lose any sleep over this, according to the man who discovered melatonin. His research suggests that the optimal melatonin dose is... 0.3 mg.

Sleep hormone
      Richard Wurtman discovered in the 1950s that rats whose pineal gland had been removed developed sleep problems. He then worked out that this was because the pineal gland normally secretes melatonin before you go to sleep. Melatonin prepares the brain for sleep.

Supplementation
      Melatonin is a simple compound which is produced in the body as a result of conversion of the amino acid L-tryptophan. Small quantities of melatonin are found in cherries, kiwis, tomatoes and bananas. If you consume small amounts of melatonin at the time when you usually fall asleep, the pineal reacts by producing extra melatonin itself. It needs to be dark for this to happen, as light inhibits the synthesis of melatonin.

In the 1990s Wurtman published a study in which he had given subjects a melatonin supplement at 9 o'clock in the evening, 2-4 hours before they went to sleep. On one occasion the supplement contained 0.3 mg melatonin, on the other it contained 1.0 mg. On another occasion Wurtman gave his subjects a placebo.

Sleep
      Melatonin reduced the amount of time the subjects needed to fall asleep once they'd gone to bed, as the figure below shows. The 0.3-mg dose worked best.

After ingesting this miniscule dose of melatonin the amount of melatonin in the blood of the subjects rose spectacularly. The bulk of the amount in the bloodstream probably came from the pineal gland.

The next day the researchers assessed how the subjects were feeling and tested their reaction speed. They discovered that the optimal dose of 0.3 mg did not make the subjects feel dopey, lethargic or sleepy.

Source:
      Sleep. 1996 Jun;19(5):423-31.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/optimal-mela...se-0.3-mg.html
      Comments 3 Comments
        BCseacow83 -
        Many times I have customers come in looking for a sleep aid. I always ask have they tried melatonin as it is relatively safe, studied in humans, and keeps with the bioidentical nature of hormones in the body. The usual response is, "It did nothing for me." Since I want them to try to get the most out of a product they have already purchased I explain to them the HUGE variance in dosing available on the market. First I suggest they take what ever they have, usually 3mg tabs or caps and cut the dose in half(or empty out half the capsule.) If this does not work I then suggest taking it in the late afternoon when the sun starts to go down. IMO it's not like our biological clock goes from fully awake to Oh it dark crank out the melatonin. Melatonin will increase the darker it gets but to be more in synch with what would normally happen having levels gradually increase as the sunlight decreases makes sense.

I have also seen a study that showed that those that dosed in the later afternoon, say 5or6 pm with the goal of sleep at 10pm had better results than the 30 minutes prebed recommended on so many bottles. I know personally I get an effective response from breaking a 1mg SL tab into about fourths. Also works well in the middle of the night when you need to get back to sleep but a full dose may leave you groggy in the morning.

All things being tried if they still get no response to Meatonin then I suggest they look into alternative. Sleep is a trick bugger and what works very well for one individual can do nothing for another. I have had those that melatonin stimulated them so go figure. Also I can't find the paper right now but I read about the hypothesis that too high of a dose down regulates receptors and can have the opposite effect for some.

OT I have had customer who when they came to see me were taking 40MG a day in a desperate attempt to sleep.
        Red Weight -
        We can get 3 mg and 5 mg in Europa. So the ban must be banned :) Personally I only sleep when take 6 mg about 60 minutes before bed time. Less doesn't do anything and more keeps me awake and makes me dream like crazy when I finally fall a sleep.
        kissdadookie -
        This is one ingredient that is essentially being misused. Melatonin is really to be used to help knock your circadian rhythm back. It's not really to be used as a sedative, which I see most people using it as.