Music Lowers Testosterone - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Music Lowers Testosterone

From Ergo Log

Lots of athletes like to train to music. That's not so surprising, as music banishes fatigue and reduces pain, facts that have been known since Aristotle. But in 2001 the Japanese endocrinologist Hajime Fukui published the results of a study that might cause you to wonder if there isn't another side to the coin when it comes to training with music. Fukui discovered that music lowers testosterone levels, in men at least.

Fukui, who works at the Nara University of Education, did an experiment with seventy students aged from 19-25. Half of the students were women and half were men. Fukui got them all to listen to music for 30 minutes.

Ten students listened in the afternoon to their personal favourite music, ten listened to cantatas sung by Gregorian monks, ten to music that was popular at that moment, ten to Mozart's Sonata in D Major, K. 448, ten to jazz and twenty didnít listen to any music at all. Each of the groups consisted of equal numbers of men and women.

Fukui took a saliva sample from each of his subjects before and after they listened to the music, and measured the concentration of testosterone in the saliva. He discovered that listening to music raised the concentration of testosterone in the women [first figure below], but that it lowered the concentration of testosterone in men [second figure below]. The concentration of testosterone in saliva gives an indication of the concentration of testosterone in the blood.

Fukui interprets his results from an evolutionary theory perspective. He thinks that humans invented music to make living and working together in groups easier. The high level of testosterone in men, which is accompanied by aggression and more or less continuous sex drive, is an impediment to this, and music helps.

Fukui did not look at what music does to men and women who train. But if they react in the same way as the subjects in this study, then natural male athletes may be reducing their progression by training to background music.

Among the women, the testosterone boosting effect was strongest among those who listened to music of their own choice.

Among the men, listening to their own choice of music was what lowered their testosterone levels the most. The damage to the men was confined by listening to Gregorian music. Perhaps not quite the musical accompaniment you'd choose for your workout.

Source:
      Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001 Jun; 930:448-51.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/music-lowers...one-level.html
      Comments 48 Comments
        804 -
        This has got to be the most absurd thing I've ever seen.
        Easeball -
        Well whenever a study is done with individuals that are trained ill pay more attention to it.
        lexmuscle -
        Originally Posted by 804 View Post
        This has got to be the most absurd thing I've ever seen.
        yup
        JDog479 -
        The fact that this study was done more then 10 years ago and I'm not reading about it til now leads me figure this is just much ado about nothing.

Still interesting though. We have yet to figure out what exactly the evolutionary value of music truly is, that theory is one I've yet to hear.
        purebred -
        Gtfo
        wastedwhiteboy2 -
        They should have had them listen to heavy metal and watched their testosterone levels raise. Listening to wussy music will obviously make you a wuss. Just like watching chick flix compared to violent action films.
        Slappy244 -
        Originally Posted by wastedwhiteboy2 View Post
        They should have had them listen to heavy metal and watched their testosterone levels raise. Listening to wussy music will obviously make you a wuss. Just like watching chick flix compared to violent action films.
        ^this X 10. How many bros listen to Justin Bieber or classical music while training? I think it's safe to say, none. If there are some, I'd bet they probably aren't running on their own T, cuz that would be a freak thing to do.
        mtinsideout -
        Originally Posted by Slappy244 View Post
        ^this X 10. How many bros listen to Justin Bieber or classical music while training? I think it's safe to say, none. If there are some, I'd bet they probably aren't running on their own T, cuz that would be a freak thing to do.
        Agreed. I think the majority of people listen to rock/metal, rap, or some form of techno while training. For me heavy metal def gets me throwing some weight around.
        Torobestia -
        I was going to make a joke about how many men who lift listen to ****ty music, which jives with my experience of browsing lifting vids on youtube, but then I saw

"Fukui did not look at what music does to men and women who train"

and decided this was the better joke in the article.
        lexmuscle -
        My PR heaviest lifts were always accomplished while blasting metal.
        zenstinkfist -
        So when I'm listening to Pantera doing dead lifts my test will drop? LOL Find that really hard understand!
        ITW -
        Ergo-log disappoints me with their articles pretty often
        southpaw23 -
        This study is obviously wrong. Has anyone here ever listened to O-Town?
        mountainman33 -
        Bare in mind, these were japanese test subjects, so they started out with lower testosterone percentages to begin with.
        southpaw23 -
        True but has anyone ever listened to O-Town? That'll get you jacked up, also Selena Gomez.
        mikeg313 -
        "This music makes my penis soft!"
        southpaw23 -
        Dude, hold on. Seriously...O-Town.
        Slappy244 -
        Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
        Dude, hold on. Seriously...O-Town.
        enough with the early 2000's washed-up teenybopper noise sound makers! O-town falls into the same category as the Hanson sisters with their "mmm-bop" song
        southpaw23 -
        You do realize that there are the Beatles, Rolling Stones and then, yeah, you guessed it...O-Town.
        Slappy244 -
        Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
        You do realize that there are the Beatles, Rolling Stones and then, yeah, you guessed it...O-Town.
        What, you from Orlando?

I tell you what, o-town might be useful as background music in a ladies club. It's been proven by Japanese scientists to raise estrogen levels.

"I want it all (your hubby's $$) or nothing at all (still take $1s)"