Metabolic Flexibility - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Metabolic Flexibility

By Carl Lanore Superhuman Radio

I have been thinking a lot about Metabolic Flexibility lately. The ability of the body to shift it's substrate utilization quickly and efficiently so the body can perform properly even in the absence of food for long periods of time.

Our evolutionary ancestors were selected for this ability. Otherwise not finding food for days would have rendered them helpless. Periodic and strategically designed Intermittent Fasting.. aside from its longevity and body re-composition effects.. may be the best solution to reviving your own Metabolic Flexibility.

Those suffering from severe or moderate Insulin Resistance are threatened by their Metabolic Inflexibility. In moderate cases they become hypoglycemic when blood sugar drops and the body is unable to respond by shifting the energy source or creating glucose from other substrates like Amino Acids fast enough. They become light headed and can not function properly. In the worst cases they go into a Diabetic Coma and may even die if some sort of sugar isn't fed to them quickly.

So if you fast for 12 to 16 hours could you train heavy for up to an hour? Does missing a meal render you almost helpless as you can't function or think clearly? Do you become anxious easily when hungry? Do you get lightheaded? Or even disoriented? These may be some of the earliest signs of Metabolic Inflexibility.

Start experimenting with Intermittent Fasting. Find out just how Metabolically Flexible you are. And then set some goals and try to improve upon it. You'll make your ancestors proud that you didn't waste one of their hard earned attributes.

Source: http://www.superhumanradio.com/metab...nary-gift.html
      Comments 4 Comments
        compudog -
        I fast for 12 hours frequently before working out, & I mean weight training, not cardio. It feels like I actually have *more* strength when I do my lifting fasted, however, I feel like I also burn out harder.

I think you're right about the availability of food in the early environment, however, I think the part that people fail to connect with these days is hunger. I think if you have an otherwise normal healthy person who gets hungry, they will get the idea that there's something wrong with them. So people nowadays (by which I mean nearly everyone) seldom go more than 8 hours (for sleep) without eating.
        whitexican911 -
        While i will fast from last meal 10 pm to 10-11:30 am next day I dont workout on nothing. At least one meal before workout.
        For everyday use I wonder what benefit , idk maybe 1/3- 1/2 serving of bcaas would have around 10 am. Usually i just drink tea to get my metabolism started..?
        dreamcrusher -
        This whole Intermittent Fasting (IF) thing is another diet gimmick, such BS.

I tried IF for several months using Lean Gains and Eat stop Eat with no results, at all.

It all comes back to down to low carb with re-feeds and right food choices: carbs and protein, fat and protein but not high fat with carbs.
        iddc -
        Originally Posted by dreamcrusher View Post
        This whole Intermittent Fasting (IF) thing is another diet gimmick, such BS.

I tried IF for several months using Lean Gains and Eat stop Eat with no results, at all.

It all comes back to down to low carb with re-feeds and right food choices: carbs and protein, fat and protein but not high fat with carbs.
        You have the thought right about the right food choices.
        for me IF diets are a way of life and not the diet itself, i can do a cut/recomp/bulk while on the IF set up.
        it all comes down to total calories consumed within the day and, of course, from the right sources.
        bottomline is, it works.